• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Things that are a cast-iron guarantee that someone is a complete plum

Cyclists that ride 2 or 3 abreast so they can chat with their mates as they go thus forcing other road users into the opposite lane.
Use the road by all means but don't be a dangerous obstruction to everyone else.:angry:

Do you think that cyclists have less right to be on the road? That in some way you are more superior to them and that they must get out of your way? if someone drives there car at 20 mph should they get out of your way as well? If you cant navigate a simple obstacle catch a bus instead. Or ride a bike.

Do you think that cyclists have less right to be on the road? That in some way you are more superior to them and that they must get out of your way? if someone drives there car at 20 mph should they get out of your way as well? If you cant navigate a simple obstacle catch a bus instead. Or ride a bike.

Cyclists riding three abreast are both illegal and a pain in the arse. True, they have as much right to be there but at the same time, they don't own the road anymore than other road users.

Many years ago when I did my cycling proficiency we were taught that riding 2 abreast is fine, but to go down to single file when a car comes. Has that advice changed, or are people less thoughtful?

Many years ago when I did my cycling proficiency we were taught that riding 2 abreast is fine, but to go down to single file when a car comes. Has that advice changed, or are people less thoughtful?

That advice is still valid today. The problem is that a sizable minority of cyclists and motorists have become very entrenched in their attitudes towards each other. Also, cycling, especially on racing bikes has become far more popular on UK roads, and the numbers out riding together has increased. A bit more give and take on both sides would go a long way to improving the situation.

To be fair riding three abreast is something I wouldn't do as its too close to oncoming traffic, but the highway code states that when over taking cyclists you should give a car width to go round, Like that ever happens. In reality a cyclist probably holds up a car for about thirty seconds, its really no big deal. The biggest cause of congestion is other cars. If I drive into work it can take me up to forty minutes, if I ride I can do it in sixteen. If more people rode a bike for short journeys congestion would be eased.

Back