• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It was actually eight men. I believe we're the only team in the English league to score a league goal having had three players sent off.

great match report here
http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/swansea_city_2_southend_united_3_133258/index.shtml

one comment in particular caught my eye, would be great if we could say the same on Saturday at 5.00pm

This was a Southend side we haven't seen for a while, it was a Southend side which wanted to be first to every ball, a side which wouldn't back out of a challenge and a side which attacked and defended in vast numbers

Last edited:
Going to my first away game in '74 at Brighton and losing 2-0 and having two men sent off. I failed to heed the warnings.

Hideous performance from Alan Turvey there, a referee who was surely one of the worst officials of the last 50 years !

Carl Pettefer signing his permanent contract on the pitch in front of the fans 1980s style (with his leg in plaster)

The cars they used to drive round the pitch at half time advertising garages. Kids would throw coins at them.

The fact that the old south bank had a capacity, on its own, of 13,500.

Many years ago we had the honour of picking the man of the match. It was such a dire game/performance we decided to give it to Jeroen Boere, a last minute substitute, who I do not think had touched the ball before the announcement was made. I can still hear the howls of laughter around the ground to this day........

Even more incredible that it was a breakaway goal scored by a central defender! (Mark Warren)

And the 3rd sending off was as the player (Gower iirc) was being substituted , he had taken umbrage at the sending off of Smith a couple of minutes earlier amd said something as he left the pitch to be replaced by Warren, the ref told warren to return to the dugout, called Gower back and gave him a red card.

Charging away fans different prices to sit in either the "Upper" or "Lower" tier in the North Bank:unsure:

John Adams banging on for about 20 minutes on the much maligned "News and Views of the Blues" on the Southend Hotline.
It was something like 50p a minute and invariably the adverts were for a match that had occured around 6 months previously.
As SUFC was the most important thing in my life in those days , i would religiously phone every day for the chance of any update. ( before internet,kids ) .... I hate to think the phone bills i rang up at my work during those years ....

The poor young girls from the west side snack bar who had to walk past the North bank and we're subjected to certain songs and chants in the 70s and early 80s... what a different world we live in now!
and don't forget the old programme seller wearing his West Spam bobble hat ....how did he get the job?

""Get your crisps out , get your crisps out , get your crisps out for the lads ..... !!!! ""

John Adams banging on for about 20 minutes on the much maligned "News and Views of the Blues" on the Southend Hotline.
It was something like 50p a minute and invariably the adverts were for a match that had occured around 6 months previously.
As SUFC was the most important thing in my life in those days , i would religiously phone every day for the chance of any update. ( before internet,kids ) .... I hate to think the phone bills i rang up at my work during those years ....

I recall my Dad saying that Fords Tractors in Basildon had to get the number banned from the company switchboard as it was starting to become a significant business cost :smile:

The half time comp to win a car - no one came close for five years, then someone won (what a moment that was) and a few weeks later someone won it again. The prize was then downgraded to a signed match ball. :smile:

The half time comp to win a car - no one came close for five years, then someone won (what a moment that was) and a few weeks later someone won it again. The prize was then downgraded to a signed match ball. :smile:

If I remember correctly didn't Phil Whelan manage to do do it as well - the only player I can remember doing it- didn't all the subs have a go at half time.

Signing a professional actor to play right wing.

The whole David Roche saga (arrested during a home game for stabbing someone and was then shot in the knee)

Starting the second half of a game with mine men as Andy Rammell was changing a contact lense and Phil Gridelet refused to not be the last person out of the tunnel.[/QUOT

No, it was the other way around. It was Phil scrabbling around for his lens whilst Andy Rammell was too supersticious not to be last one onto the pitch.....can't think why I remember this.

If I remember correctly didn't Phil Whelan manage to do do it as well - the only player I can remember doing it- didn't all the subs have a go at half time.

Sure you're not getting confused with one of his clearances landing in a car in the car park ?

You remember correctly.

So do I for a change.

Back