• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The Takeover - Very very close.

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would surprise me if they did. Councils up and down the country are going bust because of poor investments.

SCC have criteria for investments, SUFC meet none of them - it is also potentially an unlimited loss-making venture year-on-year as well as any one-off capital loss. A lawyer could no doubt advise, but making an investment outside of any statutory requirement or the Council's own policies would seem to be legally a bit shaky to say the least. I suspect the 90%+ of Southend electors who don't support (or probably care much about) SUFC might also have a view.

exactly

Re your point about the council not owning the club or having a formal stake in it - what are you talking about? No club has this (a council owning them or even being a small stakeholder) as far as I am aware and the council have never been supportive of us either.
i'm saying that Ron owns the club, the consortium wants to buy the club, so why is something between Ron and the council holding up the takeover?

He's basically blackmailing them. He's effectively saying the sale won't go through unless things are resolved in a way he's happy with, even though they aren't really anything to do with the club or sale.
it's only speculation on my part, but why else would something between two parties be impacted by something between one party and someone else? As I say, I have no knowledge of it, just me speculating

i'm saying that Ron owns the club, the consortium wants to buy the club, so why is something between Ron and the council holding up the takeover?
I think that’s pretty clear to be honest. You just need to open your eyes and put everything together and it is pretty clear it is to do with housing. As much as we all hate Ron any of us would want something in writing or something giving assurances of what was agreed. As we all know we can’t take Ron’s word for anything but equally we can’t take the councils word for anything either. I choose to believe what JR and the consortium are telling us as they are the only ones who haven’t been caught lying to us at the moment.

Like everyone else I don't have a clue what is going here (I'm just not going to make assumptions).

However, it is I think a stretch to suggest the council aren't really anything to do with the club or sale. After all they are a fundamental part of the commercial agreement for FF, and without that the sale can't proceed. Likewise with planning and again their support is fundamental. They are in practical terms (and in due course contractual terms) partners to the development.
fair enough if true, but isn't that just because Ron says so? I'd be surprised if anything is written down saying the takeover can't happen until some agreement on Fossetts Farm. Fair enough if there is, I have no idea, but it seems odd

Nail. On. Head.

I was hoping somebody else would say it, haha.

A lease agreement is legally binding without prejudicing planning, and my belief is that the signing of one of these is what might satisfy the council and Martins/minimise risk enough for the Martins to then sign over the club.

The final sticking point or two between council and Martins over the terms that you refer to is probably what is causing a delay.

We're hearing different things over whose fault that is, but it ultimately doesn't really matter. It's seems super close, but minds need to be focused and the final sticking point ironed out this week.

If that happens then we may get a nice Christmas present.
If it can't be ironed out this week and a counter needs to be made by whichever side isn't quite happy, then it'll probably stretch into the New Year.

The consortium is applying pressure as they want it wrapped-up this month.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed that they get around a table very soon and come to an agreement.
Just sharing this again, especially the bits in bold, after CP's tweet this evening.

I think we are going to need Rat to “take a view” on the lease for the new units to get this done before Xmas.

Up until now, he hasn’t been forced to but maybe that is about to change…

I think we are going to need Rat to “take a view” on the lease for the new units to get this done before Xmas.

Up until now, he hasn’t been forced to but maybe that is about to change…
This might not be as simple as it sounds, doesn't the council also have a lease agreement on some of the units planned for Roots Hall which if the deal goes through are no longer possible to be delivered?

This might not be as simple as it sounds, doesn't the council also have a lease agreement on some of the units planned for Roots Hall which if the deal goes through are no longer possible to be delivered?
Absolutely but that will almost certainly be a be a separate lease (as it’s a different site) so that one will be torn up. The one for FF for the original 1000 or so units will be either be amended or a new one drawn up for the new units but there should be plenty of “value” in the original 1000 flat scheme to satisfy most people - just maybe not Rat.

The most draining acquisition of a football club in the history of take overs.
As I said on Twitter the other day, any other club’s takeover would’ve been completed months ago, only this stuff happens to Southend.

It genuinely baffles me the type of unique situations we’ve been pushed into and had to deal with over the past year, you never ever see this happen to anyone else. Yet, Everton are the worst run club in England apparently 👍🏼

As I said on Twitter the other day, any other club’s takeover would’ve been completed months ago, only this stuff happens to Southend.

It genuinely baffles me the type of unique situations we’ve been pushed into and had to deal with over the past year, you never ever see this happen to anyone else. Yet, Everton are the worst run club in England apparently 👍🏼
Absolutely not the case. Derby's, for instance, took nearly 2 years and there are plenty of other cases where it has taken longer than the 9 months we have been trying to get bought.

I will confess to being a bit confused.
  1. If the sale is conditional on the planed homes from the RH site being somehow transferred to FF, how will this be done any time soon? This new plan will presumably need full planning permission which is hardly likely to be a quick process.
  2. What has happened to all those Councillors who were so passionate about SUFC just a few weeks ago?
  3. In the meantime the squad is getting ever smaller and there may be a real prospect that we will not be able to fulfill fixtures in the not too distant future.
  4. On the positive side :-) someone is paying the bills.
Is this a crisis, or merely a bump on the road to a golden-blue future?

Last edited:
I bet Kev and the players wish they could have a Xmas break instead of having to address a congested fixture list....come to think of it I wish I could- but I have stuff to deliver for clients...

There's been weeks to get all this sorted...
Players and staff have all been superb with the situation but there comes a point when even their patience wears thin!

Any contact I have had with councillors has been patchy, recently poor response or in the case of Cllr Buck nothing.
And the council itself, the paid professionals are worse, rarely will they acknowledge an e mail, or a phone call. Nor will a physical visit to the Civic Centre get you seen by the person needed to be spoken with. AND astonishingly there is not an official contact and response time policy. Most public bodies have deadlines of reply even just an acknowledgement of issue BUT not the black hole of SCC.

I do not doubt Ron has difficulty communicating with SCC, but he is so deaf to anything he does want to hear it cuts both ways.
Just for clarity elected councillors don’t get paid for the job they do, however they get limited expenses which can be awarded on proof what it’s for.

Need it done before Jan so that we can mop up loans from the EFL, otherwise we will end up in a relegation battle purely based on squad numbers. Got a feeling that we’re gonna get an early Xmas prezzie and a party atmosphere for the Barnet double header.
Am I right in thinking the window in the EFL don’t count if they are coming to us on loan? Kanu for example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back