• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see two major issues here:
Planning permission and costs.

Planning permission is phased. 3 sides of the stadium needs to be built before the flats and before roots hall can be knocked down and flats built ( happy to be corrected by those with a better understanding).
If Ron sells the stadium land he looses control on the timing of the stadium build and therefore the timing of the flats being built and therefore his pit of gold.
Legal penalties could cover off on this but it makes it more complicated.

He has already stated that the stadium would be sold at less than the build costs ( he dressed it up that he was doing SUFC a massive favour). The reality is that he needs the stadium built to enable him to make his money on the housing. Therefore he is ‘happy’ to sell the stadium as a loss leader in order to achieve his overall goals.
If a purchaser bought the land they would be paying the full costs for the build which would be madness.

Again happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood

Yes, I imagine losing control of the timing would be a problem for Ron.

And now Ron wants his stadium, the one with reduced capacity and more flats (but with no planning permission). The flats are his way of maintaining assets on the stadium site even if the stadium itself is sold.

Ironically then, the development as a whole might progress more quickly if the original, approved stadium was built by new owners?

For Ron, to lose the flats aspect of the development would be a blow I guess (not that I give a ****)

Could be a good time for Jobson junior to step up his dispute with RM, and prove that he only paid for 51% of the shares.
He should have brought this up and taken it up with Ron during Rons previous 24 years in charge, not the final days / weeks before the club is sold or wound up.

We don't need delays like this. Perhaps he can take this up with Ron after the sale has gone through and Ron will have to dip into his pocket and pay him the monies.

I see two major issues here:
Planning permission and costs.

Planning permission is phased. 3 sides of the stadium needs to be built before the flats and before roots hall can be knocked down and flats built ( happy to be corrected by those with a better understanding).
If Ron sells the stadium land he looses control on the timing of the stadium build and therefore the timing of the flats being built and therefore his pit of gold.
Legal penalties could cover off on this but it makes it more complicated.

He has already stated that the stadium would be sold at less than the build costs ( he dressed it up that he was doing SUFC a massive favour). The reality is that he needs the stadium built to enable him to make his money on the housing. Therefore he is ‘happy’ to sell the stadium as a loss leader in order to achieve his overall goals.
If a purchaser bought the land they would be paying the full costs for the build which would be madness.

Again happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood
We don't really know the commercials do we. Sherrif would be the ideal reality check on this as its very much he's bag. As always be careful with anything Ron presents.

As a layman I would imagine any stadium valuation would be a combination of the value of the land and value of the build. The land cost to Ron (cost, rather than valuation now, is I suspect minimal). You have the build costs for three sides. The 4th side includes a large number of residential units and that may well fund some or all of the build cost.

Those 3 sides and say 10k seats might cost £25m to build- construction costs (Sherrif can help here?)

In Ron world the completed stadium valuation (which would be all in and include land and the 4th side but not housing) would be worth say £45m. So also in Ron world he's providing a £45m stadium for £25m. But actually he's covering his construction costs and potentially using a Homes England loan to build it.

Now the numbers may well be off. I might be a commercially aware due to running businesses but I know very little about building stadia. But you see how things can get, shall we say, "presented".... I suspect Ron isn't being entirely "open book" either and so will try and sneak in some sort of profit (management fee as the developer or whatever).

Would be lovely to have real numbers but alas....

Over the next few hours, I am going to be recording 9 set questions with as many fans as I can over zoom. These questions will be used in an interview I am going to be doing tomorrow so they really understand how people feel.

If anyone is free, and has 10-15 minutes, your questions will be published on YouTube. Then please drop me a DM, questions are very basic. Be good to cover a wide demographic of fans.

Got 4 confirmed, so any more willing to get involved, just drop me a WhatsApp +447932921008
Who is “they” can you say who you’re interviewing?

Over the next few hours, I am going to be recording 9 set questions with as many fans as I can over zoom. These questions will be used in an interview I am going to be doing tomorrow so they really understand how people feel.

If anyone is free, and has 10-15 minutes, your questions will be published on YouTube. Then please drop me a DM, questions are very basic. Be good to cover a wide demographic of fans.

Got 4 confirmed, so any more willing to get involved, just drop me a WhatsApp +447932921008
Cheers for your time, just done it and hope many others do too!

This isn't a wider football problem. This is a Southend United problem and more specifically a Ron Martin problem.

Smaller clubs than us aren't facing these problems and we're not owed a living by the teams at the top.
Our problems are huge compared to most other teams however to say there isnt a wider football problem is wide of the mark in my opinion. I believe the only team in League One and League Two to make a profit is Walsall (may be a couple of others since I have seen this stat). Other clubs such as Charlton, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Reading, Luton, Orient, Morecambe, Portsmouth etc just to name a few other clubs to have had it bad in the last 10-15 seasons. On top of that you have clubs that have unfortunately gone under.

The authorities quickly need to get a grip on bad ownership of sports clubs to ensure that these huge community assets are not run in to the ground by terrible owners like Ron Martin. These community assets are hugely important for peoples mental health, the social circles, their entertainment along with so many other reasons.

I feel 29.4% of Southend Utd shareholders, can form together and put pressure on RM to sell the club.
As I asked previously, please explain to us how the 100s if not 1000s of us with about 0.01% (and a few bigger ones) are able to put pressure on RM when he has enough shares to pass pretty much any resolution he wants.

Believe me, if you can show us what can be done then I'm well up for it.

Last edited:
The real life fact is that a prem club (or anyone related to any football club) couldn't give us money if they tried.

Yet UEFA have just said it OK for Aston Villa and Brighton (i think) to play in Europe even though their owners own other clubs in Europe...its almost as if the administrators want the little people to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back