• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding from what I have been advised is that Ron is being Ron and is trying to squeeze more and more out of Kimuira and is using the tactic of there being another interested party to put pressure on them.

Whether that party exists or whether it is a figament of Ron's imagination to be used as a negotiating tool is unknown, though the feeling is that there is no firm second bid.

Ron is now in a poker game, and I hope he realises that he has a weak hand. If not, and he overplays his hand, then we could be left with just Ron in the picture........................a situation that I am certain we would all dread.

Looks like Birmingham have just been bought for £1! With a £15million kicker if they get to the prem. Sensible stewardship moving on at a reasonable price for a loss making entity. If only our fearless leader could be as sensible!

Just as a matter of interest we have sold or released players over the last few weeks so who at the club would be arranging these deals and signing paper work if the club is being sold and legal teams are working on this?
Ron will have outside legal working on this.

We haven’t sold any players recently. Players who have left were out of contract. The club secretary will have submitted the list of out of contract players to the NL in May.

My understanding from what I have been advised is that Ron is being Ron and is trying to squeeze more and more out of Kimuira and is using the tactic of there being another interested party to put pressure on them.

Whether that party exists or whether it is a figament of Ron's imagination to be used as a negotiating tool is unknown, though the feeling is that there is no firm second bid.

Ron is now in a poker game, and I hope he realises that he has a weak hand. If not, and he overplays his hand, then we could be left with just Ron in the picture........................a situation that I am certain we would all dread.
This is my big fear.

Really, really difficult to say. The level of noise has reduced - whether by design or not, I don't know, but not necessarily a bad sign.

I think the buyers believe everything to be in Ron's hands. It's apparently now with Kimura's lawyers, which suggests to me that DD is complete and that there are some complicated contracts, etc. to draw up for what is a very complex deal, and also probably that some things were uncovered during DD that Kimura want more info on, or just straight-up don't want to take on liability for and want sorted before the sale finalises.

I think the legal teams will be working on these things, and that's why Kimura see it as being all down to RM now - because he needs to agree or disagree to sort out anything that the DD might have uncovered.

On the other hand, and as old Wolfy suggests on Twitter, the RM camp see it as being in Kimura's hands (there's the clue, imo, that Wolfy is somebody on the club/Martin side). I think he's washed his hands of the club and his responsibility for it, and essentially sees it as sold. For whatever reason (whether wanting to cover some things up, or whether just simply for speed), he never wanted and was completely unprepared for full DD to take place and by all accounts hasn't been very co-operative. We all know he doesn't live in the real world and likely assumed any buyer would dance to his tune and cut corners.

So with each side pointing fingers at the other, there remains a possibility of a stand-off this week.

DD processes will never uncover everything and at some point a buying party will have to relent a little bit and make some concessions, but it does feel like this is more in the court of the Martin camp, as much as RM would like to pretend and give the outward impression that it's not.

Hopefully this week will focus minds a little bit as we approach month end on Friday, and the inevitable unpaid wages and expired contracts that will bring but I just don't know. It's a good sign that it is with Kimura's lawyers now as that represents the final stages to me, but the sale won't complete until they are happy, and they might not be happy enough to sign off this week.

TL;DR - maybe this week, maybe not. Sorry to sit on the fence.
great post

I believe that was the case, I’m not so sure it is anymore.

I think what @Medway Blue has said is spot on.

We all want the most thorough of DD, so there are no surprises six months down the line that puts a spanner in the works, but there are also deadlines to be met too.

We want a competitive side, challenging at the right end of the table, and looking to get back into the EFL. As @Yorkshire Blue said previously, we will be riding the crest of a wave once the new guys are in place, but if we lose the first 5 games the pressure mounts and that positivity is eaten away at.

This week is another big week. The players are supposed to be due back tail end of this week, initially for testing, with the real work starting next week. If that’s still the case, I’m not 100%.

I know Kev et all have planned pre-season, the workload of the players, the planned minutes each player gets in which friendly and so on. We’ll have trialists in, some with a genuine chance of securing a move, and some to boost numbers/do agents a favour/reduce the workload of existing players and so on.

I wonder, with pay day, and deals expiring this week whether RM will put additional pressure on Kiruma to seal the deal. RM won’t want to pay wages, he has clocked out, but the assets we have in terms of contracted players will disappear. Bridge, Ralph etc will be officially out of contract, and if we default on wages again I don’t know if the others can “do a Lopata”. Surely, Kiruma would then be in their rights to “renegotiate” the deal they had agreed as out assets have decreased.

We’ve got safety certificates to get, bonds to pay the NL, and all other boxes which need ticking before the season starts, let alone putting a competitive side on the pitch come the start of the season.

This week surely focuses the attentions of all those involved. Whether that means a deal is signed, sealed and delivered this week who knows. The longer it drags on the worse things begin to look for us, but also the less chance of something cropping up in the future.

Surely it gets to the stage where Kiruma have to say, that’ll do we will suck it and see and keep everything crossed. A football club isn’t the same as a “normal” business when carrying out DD. If they were buying McDonalds, as an example, they don’t have the pressure of a new season, fans expectations, new signings waiting for this, players waiting to sign deals etc…

Maybe Kimura needs to call his bluff. Deal needs to be done before 12th July for HMRC payment etc. They tell him unless he accepts the deal they are out. His ring will quiver and he will fold

**** Ron Martin

We all want the most thorough of DD, so there are no surprises six months down the line that puts a spanner in the works, but there are also deadlines to be met too.

We want a competitive side, challenging at the right end of the table, and looking to get back into the EFL. As @Yorkshire Blue said previously, we will be riding the crest of a wave once the new guys are in place, but if we lose the first 5 games the pressure mounts and that positivity is eaten away at.

This week is another big week. The players are supposed to be due back tail end of this week, initially for testing, with the real work starting next week. If that’s still the case, I’m not 100%.

I know Kev et all have planned pre-season, the workload of the players, the planned minutes each player gets in which friendly and so on. We’ll have trialists in, some with a genuine chance of securing a move, and some to boost numbers/do agents a favour/reduce the workload of existing players and so on.

I wonder, with pay day, and deals expiring this week whether RM will put additional pressure on Kiruma to seal the deal. RM won’t want to pay wages, he has clocked out, but the assets we have in terms of contracted players will disappear. Bridge, Ralph etc will be officially out of contract, and if we default on wages again I don’t know if the others can “do a Lopata”. Surely, Kiruma would then be in their rights to “renegotiate” the deal they had agreed as out assets have decreased.

We’ve got safety certificates to get, bonds to pay the NL, and all other boxes which need ticking before the season starts, let alone putting a competitive side on the pitch come the start of the season.

This week surely focuses the attentions of all those involved. Whether that means a deal is signed, sealed and delivered this week who knows. The longer it drags on the worse things begin to look for us, but also the less chance of something cropping up in the future.

Surely it gets to the stage where Kiruma have to say, that’ll do we will suck it and see and keep everything crossed. A football club isn’t the same as a “normal” business when carrying out DD. If they were buying McDonalds, as an example, they don’t have the pressure of a new season, fans expectations, new signings waiting for this, players waiting to sign deals etc…
My fear is that Kimura get to the stage and say bugger it we ar enot going ahead, rather than suck it and see.

I heard on this board yesterday the players were back today for testing, s that not the case?

I doubt that. It's just as likely they'll walk away. I'm sure they're currently involved in many deals, and this is just another business deal to them. I would imagine they're quite hard nosed about it, either it goes ahead or it doesn't, and they look to invest elsewhere.

In that respect it's like buying a house. You don't own it until you exchange (or even get the keys). Until then it's just a business deal that you can walk away from if it's not right.

I doubt that. It's just as likely they'll walk away. I'm sure they're currently involved in many deals, and this is just another business deal to them. I would imagine they're quite hard nosed about it, either it goes ahead or it doesn't, and they look to invest elsewhere.

In that respect it's like buying a house. You don't own it until you exchange (or even get the keys). Until then it's just a business deal that you can walk away from if it's not right.

I'd suggest previous Instagram postings from those involved on the Kimura side demonstrate it's not 'just another business deal' to them, there is a going to be a little bit of heart over head on some aspects.

Whether that's enough for them to follow through with some of their concerns, I guess we wait and see.

I believe pre season starts tomorrow, but due to the physio not being paid they wont be present, so know bleep test or exerting training can be done. Probably just body fat measurements etc.
As I understand it, I believe the thinking is Bridge and Sandat may hopefully be the 15th and 16th in the 16 allowed under the embargo as non contract players until the embargo is lifted.
With no experience left at all, Ralph and JD are very much needed and the club hope to keep both somehow. JD possibly in a coaching role until the embargo is lifted when he can be also available to play and hopefully somehow keep ralph too.

I did mean to say that, sorry. They either say that’ll do and take the chance, or tip it bollocks and say not worth the hassle. DD can’t rumble on for 6/12 months like it can do in “normal” circumstances

This week surely focuses the attentions of all those involved. Whether that means a deal is signed, sealed and delivered this week who knows. The longer it drags on the worse things begin to look for us, but also the less chance of something cropping up in the futu
As you said a big week. I always thought that on or about Juy the first would be the 'witching hour' as if players were to walk, and, pre season was to be delayed, the value of the club to any potential buyer (as long as football was their main motivation) would surely decrease considerably. This may have been Ron's only leverage in what might be a not overly strong negotiating position.

I would guess that whatever amount RM might receive if all is signed off this week will be more than he can hope to get this time next month.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of information available, or 'leaked' on here as this also suggests that either nothing is going on, or, much more likely, buyer and seller are involved in serious negotiations.

While I have no quibble with Ron seeking to maximise the value of the asset being sold there is a danger that he might miscalculate, or, overplay his hand.

Although I see the general signs as being positive I remain a little nervous. This is SUFC we are talking about, after all.

I think BW is pretty close to the mark on this. There comes a point where you have found what you are going to find, know what you don't know, and need to get the cow over the bucket...

Danger is whatever you gain from continuing you lose in terms of damaging the value of what you're buying. Yes you can try and mitigate the risk further, yes you can try and renegotiate, and yes these may work given time. But you still end up with a devalued product.

Yes they could just decide to walk away having spent £400k odd on DD. But they know what they are doing and how to evaluate risk and reward.

I know some are relaxed if next season is impacted and we are mid table if it means we get the deal over the line. I very much doubt Kimura are equally relaxed as they will know how to monetise the cost of an extra season in the NL- with the EFL TV and other monies a significant sum (£1-2m?.

I believe pre season starts tomorrow, but due to the physio not being paid they wont be present, so know bleep test or exerting training can be done. Probably just body fat measurements etc.
As I understand it, I believe the thinking is Bridge and Sandat may hopefully be the 15th and 16th in the 16 allowed under the embargo as non contract players until the embargo is lifted.
With no experience left at all, Ralph and JD are very much needed and the club hope to keep both somehow. JD possibly in a coaching role until the embargo is lifted when he can be also available to play and hopefully somehow keep ralph too.
So already impacting next season and preparations...

Bridge and Sandat with their worth as players would surely move on if things don't conclude soon, rather than stay on a non-contract basis.

Sandat is not short of suitors and a trusted ITK on here mentioned that Bridgey has several other clubs who would happily sign him.

I was also thinking what can they even do for pre-season when resources for kickstarting their training regime are limited/not available, as you've now confirmed with the physio. Also I presume they won't be at the new training ground either as someone will have to pay for the facilities to be put up there.

I'm most concerned about the upcoming payday (or more often at SUFC, lack of pay day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back