• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll answer that from my personal perspective based on 50+ years of support.

In recent years the greed and associated incompetence of Ron Martin has seen us plummet to our lowest ebb both from a football perspective and from a financial perspective.

It has been the prospect of him selling up that has kept the hope of better days ahead alive.

If he doesn’t sell now then when will he ever sell?

The fans want it, the staff need it and his family apparently want him to sell.

If he is too proud or too greedy to sell then I honestly believe this will be a case of the captain going down with his ship.

I just don’t think I can continue to go if that hope is extinguished, it’s not about the money, it’s about the sadness of watching us fall further in to decline.

Call me a coward or not a true supporter if you like but that’s just how I feel.

Btw, Kimuira are active on this forum- wonder if you can work out who they are.

I was told directly that RM expected the deal to go through with no DD - can you believe that? Sadly we all probably can.

I hope and pray that the sale goes through and we can all enjoy our match days and actually use this forum to just discuss football and OUR CLUB as that is why we all post on here.
Whether it’s kimura, Ron, Colchester estate agents being active on this board, I think they are using this as a reasonable straw poll. Whether it was all made up rubbish I will never know, but would the swell of opposition that came to Ron staying on in an estate agent deal have caused the estate agent to pull out? I don’t know.

So I do think it is good for the supporter base to throw out what we think is good and will be supported, vs what we think is bad. Even if you didn’t use your paid for season ticket next year - you don’t buy the year after for example. The message has been clear - the support base, well 90% at least need a clean break.

Of course we aren’t the kingmaker in the deal, but I do think we are a voice.

Last edited:
The protest was perhaps on this board. We don’t want Ron to stay on in any capacity. Maybe that was it. Talk about a protest was maybe enough

Call me a coward or not a true supporter if you like but that’s just how I feel.

Btw, Kimuira are active on this forum- wonder if you can work out who they are.

I was told directly that RM expected the deal to go through with no DD - can you believe that? Sadly we all probably can.

I hope and pray that the sale goes through and we can all enjoy our match days and actually use this forum to just discuss football and OUR CLUB as that is why we all post on here.
I'm not calling you a coward or not a true supporter at all, i just wondered what good it would do? It seems pointless to me of paying for something, then denying yourself the benefit of that service in protest against the person you've already given your money to.

And I know what you mean about the sadness of our decline, but there's no guarantee that on the pitch it will be bad. Unlikely with a small squad, but let's say the club survives and the sale hasnt gone through, but we win our first 4 games. Will you not go then?

I totally understand you not going if we were dreadful and bottom of the league, but you probably wouldn't be alone in that.

And Ron may be many things but he isn't an idiot and hasn't got to his age in the world of business with a real expectation that a company is purchased without doing ANY DD.

Greetings from Sicily. Good news about the training ground. Councillors were right to question the sharp right turn onto Smithers Way about10 yards beyond the roundabout. Dodgy is about right.
A plea. Stop using the word cretin. The term ceased to be used in 1959 when the enlightened for its time 1959 Mental Health Act was passed repealing the old mental deficiency act 1913 which actually had a category of cretin just above idiot along with moral defectives. We rightly are more tuned into mental health on this board. Lecture over.
Back tomorrow and hoping for good news soon.
So cretin is not as derogatory as an idiot then. Do you also propose that 'idiot' be avoided on future posts? What word would you deem suitable?

I'm not calling you a coward or not a true supporter at all, i just wondered what good it would do? It seems pointless to me of paying for something, then denying yourself the benefit of that service in protest against the person you've already given your money to.

And I know what you mean about the sadness of our decline, but there's no guarantee that on the pitch it will be bad. Unlikely with a small squad, but let's say the club survives and the sale hasnt gone through, but we win our first 4 games. Will you not go then?

I totally understand you not going if we were dreadful and bottom of the league, but you probably wouldn't be alone in that.

And Ron may be many things but he isn't an idiot and hasn't got to his age in the world of business with a real expectation that a company is purchased without doing ANY DD.
Hi FBM, I know you're not and zero offence meant or taken.

Re your question about performance related attendance - under current ownership then no I will not attend - our problems lay far deeper than performances and league position.

Until that changes then our fortunes simply won't change.

Don't forget what this man did to players in the past by refusing to pay them so they would have no choice but to leave.

Leopard and spots ..............

If RM didn’t want any DD, the guy’s more deluded than we thought. This is a multi million company acquisition and presumably a property deal as well for him to build FF.
Having been involved in commercial property acquisitions and developments across the UK and Europe for 30+ years, RM must be from another planet!

I don't know whether our experience is relevant, but these processes (DD) DO take time.

In our case the existing owner had effectively been taken out of the the equation by the club being put in the hands of the Receiver. And yet it still took four months to sell it.

Even after that, the new owner found a myriad of odd or poorly documented "contracts" which took years to unravel. Given your current owner's fondness for impenetrability, it seems you may have some of this to contend with too.

Obviously it needs sorting, because every day spent on this is a day wasted in terms of preparing to compete in August. But short-cutting DD isn't the answer.

I’ll answer that from my personal perspective based on 50+ years of support.

In recent years the greed and associated incompetence of Ron Martin has seen us plummet to our lowest ebb both from a football perspective and from a financial perspective.

It has been the prospect of him selling up that has kept the hope of better days ahead alive.

If he doesn’t sell now then when will he ever sell?

The fans want it, the staff need it and his family apparently want him to sell.

If he is too proud or too greedy to sell then I honestly believe this will be a case of the captain going down with his ship.

I just don’t think I can continue to go if that hope is extinguished, it’s not about the money, it’s about the sadness of watching us fall further in to decline.

Btw, Kimura are active on this forum -Kimura are active on this forum -wonder if you can work out who they are?

Surprised no one has bitten! I think there may be a couple. One, many years ago, I cruelly told my wife she needed a passport to visit. The other could be a 'flic.' It's Sunday and I know how much people 'love' cryptic clues! :Smile:

I don't know whether our experience is relevant, but these processes (DD) DO take time.

In our case the existing owner had effectively been taken out of the the equation by the club being put in the hands of the Receiver. And yet it still took four months to sell it.

Even after that, the new owner found a myriad of odd or poorly documented "contracts" which took years to unravel. Given your current owner's fondness for impenetrability, it seems you may have some of this to contend with too.

Obviously it needs sorting, because every day spent on this is a day wasted in terms of preparing to compete in August. But short-cutting DD isn't the answer.
It is if your pockets are deep enough. The problem is you won't have any idea how deep those pockets will need to be.

So cretin is not as derogatory as an idiot then. Do you also propose that 'idiot' be avoided on future posts? What word would you deem suitable?
None of them and I include narcissist. Describe the person decision or anything else and the beviour you disagree with. It’s called arguing. Usually the point is lost when you resort to name calling. BTW the mental deficiency act had the categories as well as idiot and cretin of imbecile and feeble minded. We must be sharper in arguing the case that Ron is not the man to lead the club in the future. Why? Not because he’s a cretin or **** or ****er but because of how he has behaved.

Again, well off topic - back to the sale (or not) of Southend United please folks on this thread.

There is a whole section on Mental Health in Homer’s Bar if you’d like to continue the other discussion.

Hi FBM, I know you're not and zero offence meant or taken.

Re your question about performance related attendance - under current ownership then no I will not attend - our problems lay far deeper than performances and league position.

Until that changes then our fortunes simply won't change.

Don't forget what this man did to players in the past by refusing to pay them so they would have no choice but to leave.

Leopard and spots ..............
Hi TB
No offence taken. And I don't disagree with you on any of those points, I'm still just puzzled as to why anyone would buy a season ticket and then not attend based on the same owner still being in charge that has been for 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back