• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours SUFC up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely this. Don't forget, a lot of people on here (myself included) are of a similar age and from the same area as various people mentioned in dispatches relating to these potential acquisitions. Many of us have/had a similar friendship group and/or went to School with said people.

There also some of us, God forbid, who actually work in football circles and feel they have something meaningful to contribute to the discussion - particularly in an environment where every supporter is so desperate for any crumb of reassurance as to the authenticity of a rumour.

I love Southend United, but I really don't like what this last 5 years has done to our support base - some of the bile being distributed on various social media platforms from people who haven't got the first idea about how these things work really does highlight the darker side of some of the people we have acquired as supporters in recent times.
As someone who actually has a lot of domain expertise in an area that’s massively important to us I’ve always enjoyed your posts on here Sherif.

I know you’ve said before about your interest in getting involved in the stadium plans, do you think there’s any real chance of being involved at this stage? I wonder if the plans are too set in stone and will be agreed upon to get the deal done, so there won’t be much wiggle room for the new owners on how to take the plans forwards?

Not sure if the first part of your post is mean spirited or not, but I have read it as such. 2 points off the back of it.

1. Is Carl not Karl
  2. Didn't anyone you went to school with, or any of your mates become really successful? While I certainly haven't reached dizzying heights, there's 3 or 4 former school mates/acquaintances/friends of mine who have gone on to do really really well for themselves.
If your comment wasn't mean spirited, I apologise.

It wasn’t mean spirited, just funny how many people come out the woodwork claiming to know people and are really good friends with them.

Aware local people will know people especially for the reasons you state but just makes me laugh that people will claim to be best friends and know them really well, cause they once had a beer together 15 years ago or shared a English class together. There’s a difference between knowing who someone is and actually being friends with them.

Note this isn’t just to people of this forum, it’s a general comment.

listening now, interesting that Matt talked about the possibility of a documentary but very much an old school English football club story than the razmataz of Hollywood meets Wales scenario. Matt believes talks are at an advance stage, but very much down to Ron now.

Consortium is local, knowledge of sports/media and very much have access to the funds required so put that all together it appears very positive
An important point to note, Matt mentioned he covers football takeovers for The Athletic and knows a lot about them, and that this lot are not only the best of our options but one of the best overall he’s seen in recent takeovers. He certainly gave them a good endorsement.

Yep know that but majority is 51% or more, so if majority how much do they have and who will own the rest
Ron owns circa 70% I think.

From what Ron has said he's selling the lot - if that is actually the case who knows?? TBH the shares are worth close to zero so the price probably won't change much if buying 51% or the full 70%

It wasn’t mean spirited, just funny how many people come out the woodwork claiming to know people and are really good friends with them.

Aware local people will know people especially for the reasons you state but just makes me laugh that people will claim to be best friends and know them really well, cause they once had a beer together 15 years ago or shared a English class together. There’s a difference between knowing who someone is and actually being friends with them.

Cheers for replying.

Just seems like a weird thing to take issue with, you know?

Potentially the most optimistic news for the club in my lifetime. If people want to claim friendships/relationships with those involved, so what?

We might just get our pride back here.

UTB

Just listened to it - nothing really to add to what has already been shared.

Key points I took away:
  • Matt Slater has known about this for quite a few weeks but sat on it as he (as a Blues fan) didn't want to scupper the deal. Sharing now as word was leaking out.
  • Talks are well advanced now and the Kimura group may be the only group currently talking to Ron
  • Potential for a "Welcome to Wrexham" type documentary is definitely in their thinking - Ray Winstone more likely to be involved in this than in the running/funding of the club

Cheers for replying.

Just seems like a weird thing to take issue with, you know?

Potentially the most optimistic news for the club in my lifetime. If people want to claim friendships/relationships with those involved, so what?

We might just get our pride back here.

UTB

Not an issue, was just making me laugh really, maybe the wrong thread for this comment but I look forward to constant ITK information due to the amount of friends tho guy has on the forum when we win the league next year.

Haha, Imagine an Essex Boys/Rise of the footsoldier type undertone to a documentary about the club and where it's been the last few years and where this group (if the bid is accepted) could take us.

I'd watch it. Even if it was about another club.

Wasn’t something from this filmed at Roots Hall during the Covid days as well?

An important point to note, Matt mentioned he covers football takeovers for The Athletic and knows a lot about them, and that this lot are not only the best of our options but one of the best overall he’s seen in recent takeovers. He certainly gave them a good endorsement.
thanks for that, i was working whilst listening so just posted the bits that i remember or heard clearly. what you added is very crucial so again thanks

As someone who actually has a lot of domain expertise in an area that’s massively important to us I’ve always enjoyed your posts on here Sherif.

I know you’ve said before about your interest in getting involved in the stadium plans, do you think there’s any real chance of being involved at this stage? I wonder if the plans are too set in stone and will be agreed upon to get the deal done, so there won’t be much wiggle room for the new owners on how to take the plans forwards?
It isn't necessarily about whether we could get in and modify the plans at this stage.
There are two more important factors to consider.

Firstly, the methodology behind how and who will build the stadium and how this will be phased - give us the plans and we can build it as drawn currently. However, various Contractors will bring different potential alternative build solutions to the table - this could result in significant savings attributed to the capital cost of the building, but perhaps more importantly, enable phasing which sees the full stadium completed sooner than timetabled.

Secondly - the plans may be set in stone, but the use of internal spaces can potentially be changed with little to no impact. This is where I know there are experts amongst us who could make sure that the functionality of the stadium is planned in such a way that it will be able to be genuinely self-sustaining. This is an issue I know many fans are knowledgeable enough to be concerned about - how does the venue generate revenue on non-matchdays, which is 90% of the battle.

Haha, Imagine an Essex Boys/Rise of the footsoldier type undertone to a documentary about the club and where it's been the last few years and where this group (if the bid is accepted) could take us.

I'd watch it. Even if it was about another club.
I think its a strong point that so many at the club have been through the rollercoaster ride through thick and thin. You have Maher, Bentley, Stan all of whom have a genuine love for the club, remember the good times and want to get them back. Its not just a bunch of newcomers.

Add to that Tom is a fan, the new owners are from the area, no doubt RW has stories of ice cream on the pier and is a not infrequent visitor to the area. Unlike Wrexham its people with a real connection to the club, the area and the history.

There, I'm getting excited now. Need to go and get my pills...

I think its a strong point that so many at the club have been through the rollercoaster ride through thick and thin. You have Maher, Bentley, Stan all of whom have a genuine love for the club, remember the good times and want to get them back. Its not just a bunch of newcomers.

Add to that Tom is a fan, the new owners are from the area, no doubt RW has stories of ice cream on the pier and is a not infrequent visitor to the area. Unlike Wrexham its people with a real connection to the club, the area and the history.

There, I'm getting excited now. Need to go and get my pills...
There is certainly enough content and real life stuff to warrant a series. Just need someone who knows what they are doing to make it happen. Not a Hollywood feel to it, but a dark gritty warts an all feel.

Film the mushrooms in the toilets, the **** on the floor, the collapsing ceilings, fox **** etc. The protests, the unpaid bills and staff, the court appearances. It will give it a proper feel that would resonate with the average fan.

Would it be as big as the Wrexham documentary, probably not as we don't have that American fanbase. But, I am sure it would be a hit on UK shores. I mean what other club has a story anything like ours? :ROFL:

It appears from the broadcast that if the sale goes ahead with the Ray Winstone Consortium, then we are very likely to get a 'Wrexham esque' docu soap drama style film made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back