• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got to remember although a great deal of investment is needed (circa 40/50 million) with the amount of properties involved, id imagine the project is going to make some decent money once its all finished (be it 5-6 years down the line!) So it's all going to pay for itself by let's say 2028/9. And that's where RMs problem has always been. He's never had the money to be able to push this seriously forward. Okay yes he's forked out 1.5/2 million on "the training ground" but since then we've basically been under an embargo so the club hasn't actually gone forward since then. The fact this is a long term project and you won't be able to make a quick buck and run is a very positive thing for the club.

It's great that a couple of local lads are Involved and as I (and others) have said, you couldn't meet much more a pleasant chap than Spud so whether his involvement is small or not, it can only be a good thing as his connections in the game, from top to bottom, are superb.

This is why I am now seriously considering renewing my season card before I lose the seat.

As soon as this goes through, I can see record season card sales and probably the best supported club in the league.
Feels like we are a coiled spring. Our attendences have been incredible given the state of the club over the last 4 years. Roots hall will be bursting at the seams with new ownership and a good run. Gonna get cosy in the west stand!

Amazing how many people on this forum are not only best friends with Karl but also best friends with these new lads.

We should tap into some of this to help fund the zone before PayPal gets hacked again!

Cautiously optimistic, but a lot of unanswered questions, not least - as many have mentioned - the source of financing required to pull off the deal and the nature of its relationship with those involved and, potentially, the club itself.

No doubt Kimura will have access to the level of financing necessary, but what kind of shape is that likely to take? Debt, or equity? If it’s the former, what kind of instrument are we talking here, and where is the collateral coming from? Could it be a leveraged buy-out, or at least some extent of that? Or is the longer-term strategy to secure financing against the future value of the overall development? The specific details of this will ultimately have a huge influence over the viability of the football club.

It’s also interesting to see elements of Kimura Performance and Integral Sports Management mentioned alongside the talks. I’m presuming there are plans to leverage that expertise/contacts book, but how is that envisaged to work alongside our existing recruitment team and practices? Is there any plan for a mutually beneficial arrangement between the agency and the club, a la Wolves owners Fosun and Jorge Mendes’ Gestifute (albeit on a considerably smaller scale)?

Talk of Winstone’s involvement, a potential documentary and other similar factors are nice details to know, but secondary to anything fundamental to the future running and viability of the club.

Last edited:
If Kimura do manage to take control, imagine the swell of support they would get upon removing the embargo and paying those poor out of pocket staff members. Attendances would rocket in no time.
Yes indeed, and it’s a bit of a shame that we’ll be constrained a bit by the Grand Old Lady (Roots Hall) as we can probably only squeeze up to about 9k home fans in - and that would probably take some investment to make the north west corner safe?

This is Kristofer Tremaine who went to WHSB part of the Kimura group.

Thinking about it Kimura is a move in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and used in MMA, maybe that's where the name of the company comes from

There is also a strong link with MMA on the Kimura Performance side of business with many MMA fighters including Suffolks Arnold Allen.

This will be handy when we play Boreham Wood and Bromley!

Most of us would prefer the larger version, capacity wise. But Ron seemed like he won't budge on the newer plans for the 4th main stand. Which obviously includes more property and a bigger return for him/investors at the expense of several thousand seats.

15/16000 always looked the best option to me. At least with a new ground with no one else around us, has the option of extending any of the 4 stands when and if that's ever required.

There may also be infrastructure problems that a 21,000 may not pass but 15000 would. I know the truth isn't popular on here but any development has to fit in with what your council want.....Not the other way round.

For example them wanting housing and not retail at B&L.

On the new stadium, I’d like the new owners to:

1) Involve the fans and ask what they would like in terms of facilities;
2) Review the design to make it a bit more unique and to prioritise atmosphere and noise - we don’t want another Arsenal situation where the new ground doesn’t match up to the old one in terms of noise; and
3) Bin off the council estate on the main stand.

15/16000 always looked the best option to me. At least with a new ground with no one else around us, has the option of extending any of the 4 stands when and if that's ever required.

There may also be infrastructure problems that a 21,000 may not pass but 15000 would. I know the truth isn't popular on here but any development has to fit in with what your council want.....Not the other way round.

For example them wanting housing and not retail at B&L.
Only sticking point here for me is how can Ron sell a ground that hasn't even been granted planning permission? Last I checked the 16k one is still awaiting approval.

Forget "the daddy" for a minute. Should Kimura take control, I am pretty sure we wont be seeing Ray at the club on a day-to-day basis. He will be a face with some clout, particularly on the media/marketing side.

The important part in the article suggests Kimura want to become "Majority owners" of the club, training ground and new stadium. This should be music to every Shrimpers ears. That would mean we see the back of Ron for good. Exactly what is needed.

That would take a rather substantial amount of money. Tens of millions. I doubt any NL club in history (or many FL clubs for that matter) would of been involved in such a large acquisition.

If this info is also being banded about in such a large and reputable read as the Athletic, I'd like to think the info is accurate as well and gives me hope this group are serious and do indeed have the funds to deliver what has been mentioned.

Is this a tactical leak of info to get fans on-side and help turn the screw?...no idea...maybe.
But I like what I hear initially and hopefully the management and players do and in time, when they are able, I would like to hear more on their finances, their hopes and ambitions and how they plan on re-igniting the club to fan relationship which has been so badly damaged in recent years.

So in all this is finally some positive news. Rejoice! Let's hope more comes of it, or if indeed we now see posturing from any other interested individuals or groups.
I think it could also be a tactic to provide some substance to rumours that I'm sure have been passed to team mgmt & players to keep them positive.

I've just read the write up by The Athletic... It all seems a bit too good to be true.

I've done very little research but seeing as Kimura are a hedge fund it doesn't surprise me that their purchase of the club would be financed and keep a majority their capital liquid for other things. So I'm not worried about that.

If they've done any research at all they'll know that the management team is a real asset. So I'm not worried about that, or how the hierarchy will integrate.

While buying the club isn't going to be cheap. If it wasn't the stadium you probably could see the club bought for a nominal £5 like a few other club have been in the past because they were saddled with so much debt. But they aren't necessarily buying a stadium, they're buying the land and planning permission which at the moment is still to be approved. I wonder if the value of that is as high as people think.

I hope new owners take the opportunity to make some amendments. Over the years the plans for the stadium have repeatedly taken a hit and on a personal note I've always hated the apartments on top of the stadium. They're only there so Ron could squeeze as much money out of the development and as resentment for him has grown and grown, I would love to not see them while at a game.

That's probably unlikely to happen, there's probably some difficulty removing those apartments now, but I could see this being Kimura Performance/Integral Sports HQ, FF or the training being an extension of their brand. FF being called The Kimura Arena or something like that... So it wouldn't surprise me if they did want to add their own touch.

Could be exciting times ahead but I'll try to keep my feet on the ground.

Last edited:
But they aren't necessarily buying a stadium, they're buying the land and planning permission which at the moment is still to be approved. I wonder if the value of that is as high as people think.
Exactly my thoughts. I also wonder where it would leave us under new owners if we wanted to go our own way with the new ground.

Any sale of the stadium that still involves Ron is not the clean break that SUFC and RM want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back