• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Saturday 27th May Luton Town, former National League club, meet Coventry City in the Championship Play Off Final. Here's part of an article about their remarkable journey from the slough of despond. Ring any bells with anyone? Will Southend United follow their journey........?

Ahead of the 2008-2009 season Luton were on the receiving end of a 30 point deduction.

Kevin Harper, the media director for the Luton Town Supporters Trust says “The people involved at the time had left. They had just left the club basically to rot and go out of business. And the people that were trying to take over were the ones that were left to pick up the pieces.”

Luton’s difficult decade reached its lowest point when their relegation to the Conference was confirmed. This came eight days after winning the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in front of 40,000 fans at Wembley. It was the first time the club would play outside of the Football League in 89 years. But many fans expected the team to bounce back into the Football League quickly.

“It was arrogance probably rather than confidence,” says Harper. “As recently as 1992, Luton were playing in what is now the Premier League. Now we’re in non-league and we shouldn’t be here anyway. But we got a rude awakening in the Conference. It was harder than any of us thought it would be.”

Luton spent five seasons playing non-league football. But this time allowed the club to reset itself, and make sure that past events did not repeat themselves. In 2007 the fan-backed Luton Town Football Club 2020 Consortium, led by Gary Sweet, purchased the club when it went into administration.

The Supporters Trust was then given 50,000 club shares by the new owners to ensure greater fan representation and input. The two entities then began to address the issues at the club to ensure long term stability.

“They had to clear out all of the issues they had inherited,” explains Harper. “The club off the pitch was having to do everything the right way. There were debts that they had to manage. But gradually, the ship steadied. We still had some days in the sun that made everyone realise that we could be a fantastic club again.”

The time Luton spent in the Conference has brought those associated with the club closer together.

Since Luton were promoted in 2014 after they won the Conference title under John Still, the team has gone from strength to strength. Their rapid rise through the leagues included back-to-back promotions to return to the Championship in 2019.

Harper explains that there have been several developments that have allowed the club to make this push. All while having a clear wage structure that the club will not break.

He points out that building a state-of-the-art training ground has allowed the club to attract better players.

On Saturday 27th May Luton Town, former National League club, meet Coventry City in the Championship Play Off Final. Here's part of an article about their remarkable journey from the slough of despond. Ring any bells with anyone? Will Southend United follow their journey........?

Ahead of the 2008-2009 season Luton were on the receiving end of a 30 point deduction.

Kevin Harper, the media director for the Luton Town Supporters Trust says “The people involved at the time had left. They had just left the club basically to rot and go out of business. And the people that were trying to take over were the ones that were left to pick up the pieces.”

Luton’s difficult decade reached its lowest point when their relegation to the Conference was confirmed. This came eight days after winning the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy in front of 40,000 fans at Wembley. It was the first time the club would play outside of the Football League in 89 years. But many fans expected the team to bounce back into the Football League quickly.

“It was arrogance probably rather than confidence,” says Harper. “As recently as 1992, Luton were playing in what is now the Premier League. Now we’re in non-league and we shouldn’t be here anyway. But we got a rude awakening in the Conference. It was harder than any of us thought it would be.”

Luton spent five seasons playing non-league football. But this time allowed the club to reset itself, and make sure that past events did not repeat themselves. In 2007 the fan-backed Luton Town Football Club 2020 Consortium, led by Gary Sweet, purchased the club when it went into administration.

The Supporters Trust was then given 50,000 club shares by the new owners to ensure greater fan representation and input. The two entities then began to address the issues at the club to ensure long term stability.

“They had to clear out all of the issues they had inherited,” explains Harper. “The club off the pitch was having to do everything the right way. There were debts that they had to manage. But gradually, the ship steadied. We still had some days in the sun that made everyone realise that we could be a fantastic club again.”

The time Luton spent in the Conference has brought those associated with the club closer together.

Since Luton were promoted in 2014 after they won the Conference title under John Still, the team has gone from strength to strength. Their rapid rise through the leagues included back-to-back promotions to return to the Championship in 2019.

Harper explains that there have been several developments that have allowed the club to make this push. All while having a clear wage structure that the club will not break.

He points out that building a state-of-the-art training ground has allowed the club to attract better players.
It’s certainly not an inconvenient story right now, when prospective owners are considering the potential for clubs like Southend currently in the NL. Let’s hope they are aware - if Luton can do it, so can Southend with the right leadership, strategy and investment.

I've heard that Neil Harris is not a fan and doesn't rare him at all
I love JB as much as anyone but we have to remember he hasn't had much success at EFL level. We got rid previously, and he hardly set the world alight at Northampton or Carlisle. He's made a name for himself at NL level certainly but maybe he's one of those who stands out at this level, but gets lost at the next level up. Would be interesting to see how he gets on in L2 if he gets a move there. Anyway apologies for going off-topic.

It’s certainly not an inconvenient story right now, when prospective owners are considering the potential for clubs like Southend currently in the NL. Let’s hope they are aware - if Luton can do it, so can Southend with the right leadership, strategy and investment.

Absolutely and three words that have been sadly missing for the last decade.

Leadership
Strategy
Investment

Also regarding Luton, what would they be worth if they went up for sale, if they win the play-off and get to the Prem? if Everton are about to be sold for £600m, Luton would have to worth £150 / £200m. Much like Brentford or Bournemouth.

That, is where the value is to wealthy investors. £40m or whatever now would be a drop in the ocean compared to what we'd be worth if we made it to the promised land.

Also regarding Luton, what would they be worth if they went up for sale, if they win the play-off and get to the Prem? if Everton are about to be sold for £600m, Luton would have to worth £150 / £200m. Much like Brentford or Bournemouth.

That, is where the value is to wealthy investors. £40m or whatever now would be a drop in the ocean compared to what we'd be worth if we made it to the promised land.

Luton do have one problem - their quaint old 10,000 capacity ground. There have been schemes to move to a new stadium since 1955. They twice even tried to move to Milton Keynes. Now plans have been approved for a new stadium called Power Court with a 22,500 capacity. Construction has been delayed but currently it is hoped to be ready in two years time......

Again...... ring any bells?

off topic still but they - Luton - need to spend at least 10 million to get their ground to Premier League MINIMUM standards so I've been told by Prem supporting friends / colleagues

Charlton is being sold for 12 million and that figure does not include there ground or there training ground from what i have read.

There current owner only took over in 2020 and he has had enough already.
There fans hate him as like Ron he isn't communicating with the fans and they are really fed up with him so be careful what you wish for.

A new owner might be no better than Ron..

Charlton is being sold for 12 million and that figured does not include there ground or there training ground from what i have read.

There fans hate him as like Ron he isn't communicating with the fans and they are really fed up with him so be careful what you wish for.

Whilst that is true, I think most of us (me included) are happy to take that gamble now if it means Ron no longer has anything to do with our club.

ABR (Anyone But Ron) That's where it's *almost or has got to in my eyes. Sad really.

*I'd draw the line at some other questionable individuals to be fair.

Charlton is being sold for 12 million and that figure does not include there ground or there training ground from what i have read.

Different situations though.

With Ron at the helm, the club is as good as dead by July.

At least if it's sold on, we'll live to fight another day, even if we fight in yet another struggle to save SUFC.

Charlton is being sold for 12 million and that figured does not include there ground or there training ground from what i have read.

Ideally the owner is emotionally attached to the club. If not, and the head wins over the heart, then its easier to come to the conclusion that the money pit that is a football club, and grief from supporters when it doesn't go well, make the prize not worth the chase.

If not attached emotionally to the club then being very very wealthy helps a lot as you are losing loose change.

Remember them getting relegated to the Conference at Roots Hall. The Luton fans, already resigned to their fate, turned up in Fancy Dress.

We are the biggest club in the national league so surely we can get a buyer! If ryan and his less famous mate who know one knows bought wrexham then surely we are more attractive

I love JB as much as anyone but we have to remember he hasn't had much success at EFL level. We got rid previously, and he hardly set the world alight at Northampton or Carlisle. He's made a name for himself at NL level certainly but maybe he's one of those who stands out at this level, but gets lost at the next level up. Would be interesting to see how he gets on in L2 if he gets a move there. Anyway apologies for going off-topic.
Indeed. I feel hes right between l2 and non league standard.

Very good in non league, very average in l2

I am not sure what a person who bought the club would be buying? Is RM selling SUFC as in the football club (presumably plus debt) alone, SUFC + RH, SUFC + FF, or SUFC + RH + FF? Some of these combinations seem more attractive than others.

My recollection of the Luton experience was that they had a very vocal and active fan-base led by Nick Owen among others. Do we have a Nick Owen? Luton is definitely the example that gives me some hope.

I am not sure what a person who bought the club would be buying? Is RM selling SUFC as in the football club (presumably plus debt) alone, SUFC + RH, SUFC + FF, or SUFC + RH + FF? Some of these combinations seem more attractive than others.

My recollection of the Luton experience was that they had a very vocal and active fan-base led by Nick Owen among others. Do we have a Nick Owen? Luton is definitely the example that gives me some hope.
We have a stan?

Luton do have one problem - their quaint old 10,000 capacity ground. There have been schemes to move to a new stadium since 1955. They twice even tried to move to Milton Keynes. Now plans have been approved for a new stadium called Power Court with a 22,500 capacity. Construction has been delayed but currently it is hoped to be ready in two years time......

Again...... ring any bells?
Bournemouth ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back