• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your wrong we could be potentially massive at this level financially very soon… the wise players will definitely wait
Most of our squad aren't good enough for a promotion push, in the Wrexham documentary most of the squad when R&R took over (a few matches from the end of the season) were worried about whether they'd need to look for a new club and quite a few of them were right to worry. If we did get a big money takeover (not guaranteed) a lot of our players will still be keeping their options open.

The first thing a new owner needs to do is make sure the Club is run in a manner that doesn't need a couple of million thrown each year in to keep the Club in business. Throwing money at a football Club doesn't always work. Even Wrexham for all their millions didn't achieve instant success.
That would require the fans being patient. Can you imagine the furore on here if we didn't instantly splash the cash on new players. It's already started on the transfer thread.

Ok let’s watch it play out… the players went a few months without pay that’s a fact the players are now fully paid up that’s a fact… the players are into playing for this club … if a new owner comes in I’m sure they will stay and I’m sure they are waiting just like we are.. Ron can’t carry on… he has to sell!!
They didn't go 'a few months' without pay, it was a month. As you say, we'll see what happens.

Most of our squad aren't good enough for a promotion push, in the Wrexham documentary most of the squad when R&R took over (a few matches from the end of the season) were worried about whether they'd need to look for a new club and quite a few of them were right to worry. If we did get a big money takeover (not guaranteed) a lot of our players will still be keeping their options open.
100% this.
I would say that only the below players are good enough to start in a promotion pushing 11.

Either of the keepers.
GSM
Hobbo
Kensdale
Miley
Bridge

That’s it.

The rest are way, way too inconsistent, and some aren’t even good enough to be a squad member in my eyes.

100% this.
I would say that only the below players are good enough to start in a promotion pushing 11.

Either of the keepers.
GSM
Hobbo
Kensdale
Miley
Bridge

That’s it.

The rest are way, way too inconsistent, and some aren’t even good enough to be a squad member in my eyes.
I don't agree with that. I would say the vast majority are National League standard, or better

I don't agree with that. I would say the vast majority are National League standard, or better
They are national league standard, that’s correct but not good enough to get out of the league. You’ll notice that my list is mainly defensive in nature, and a midfielder/winger.
Defensively we are not far off, weakened with Lopata leaving.

But there’s a reason we didn’t score enough goals this year, last year…..or in fact the last 4/5 years.

They are national league standard, that’s correct but not good enough to get out of the league. You’ll notice that my list is mainly defensive in nature, and a midfielder/winger.

But there’s a reason we didn’t score enough goals this year, last year…..or in fact the last 4/5 years.
I think to get out of this league we need EFL standard attacking midfielders and strikers. I agree defensively we are OK, I’m confident if the embargo is lifted we’ll replace Hobson and be OK in that department.

I think to get out of this league we need EFL standard attacking midfielders and strikers. I agree defensively we are OK, I’m confident if the embargo is lifted we’ll replace Hobson and be OK in that department.
Agreed. Aside from Wrexham, I don't think there's been a team to go up from this division which has EFL-standard quality across the board. All that's needed is a smattering of players of that quality in key positions.

Agreed. Aside from Wrexham, I don't think there's been a team to go up from this division which has EFL-standard quality across the board. All that's needed is a smattering of players of that quality in key positions.
Agreed. Grimsby weren't littered with stars last season but had McAtee with that EFL quality to get them through tight games. You absolutely have to have at least one player with EFL quality at the top end of the pitch. I thought Mooney was going to bring that this season when you looked at his brilliant figures at Altrincham. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out.

Agreed. Grimsby weren't littered with stars last season but had McAtee with that EFL quality to get them through tight games. You absolutely have to have at least one player with EFL quality at the top end of the pitch. I thought Mooney was going to bring that this season when you looked at his brilliant figures at Altrincham. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out.
Failing to play Mooney in his preferred RW position didn't do him any favours

It's irrelevent now, anyway ! The season has gone and we are where we are. Problem is, the recruitment isn't going to get any better while we rmeain under the embargo

Failing to play Mooney in his preferred RW position didn't do him any favours
Agree. Mooney is a winger. And we don’t play wingers we play wingbacks. Already that creates compromise with Bridge (although he has improved defensively). Playing them both as wing backs would be challenging

To get out of this division you have to be a cut above. Wrexham proved that, although Notts County are also a different level.

That is the level you need to be at in order to gain automatic promotion.

We are a million miles away.

Any new owner would need to look at league players who would drop down for a better wage.

Not an easy proposition. Mullin doubled his wages joining Wrexham who were two divisions below cambridge.

££ talks

To get out of this division you have to be a cut above. Wrexham proved that, although Notts County are also a different level.

Any new owner would need to look at league players who would drop down for a better wage.

Not an easy proposition. Mullin doubled his wages joining Wrexham who were two divisions below cambridge.

££ talks
If Notts County win the final then Chesterfield will be the team to beat. We can compete with them if we get new owners and Maher is given the tools required.

It helps having money but there's more than one way to skin a cat. A good scouting department, recruiting the gems from the lower leagues as we have been trying to do would make us ultra Competitive.

££ talks
Indeed. How many times in our history have we actually outright won the league? You have to be exceptional. Ive seen a couple of southend squads in my lifetime that were, but more often not.

Its a tall order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back