• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for some considerable time now most people have been focusing on getting Ron Martin out of the club, and getting him out now. I have never been an advocate of that strategy as I thought it would kill the club; literally cutting our nose off to spite our face. I only wanted him to go either when he was ready (i.e. after FF was built) or if there was a buyer. There was, then there wasn't, then there was again, then possibly someone else, but not really. The reasons for that are actually not important. We are where we are and thank heavens the NL and the Courts have given us the stay of execution necessary for us to get to this point; 5 days away from a home game at the start of the season.

And as far as Ron goes, we are no further along the road than we were in March, aside from show him, his family and neighbours that he really isn't very popular.

He has put another £250k in the club to keep it afloat and keep us alive. We aren't in very good health, granted, yet here we are. August 23rd will be a milestone date but again, absolutely nothing that has happened makes me think that there is any intention for us to not pay HMRC by then.

So, embargo lifted, there isn't another payday due between now and then so that means Kev and Co can move quickly to improve the squad before the inevitable next embargo.

So, as @ms brush says, what are the polar opposites to the highlighted questions? Because anything that we have done so far hasn't had the desired effect.

I'm not sure there is an answer or an opposite for the second question actually; but the opposite of "How to kill a football club" is "How do you keep a football club alive?" and the answer is so unbelievably obvious to me, but sadly not to many who have allowed their own personal hatred of Ron Martin to overtake and cloud their thoughts.

It's "You put money into it."

Even the Oldham fans get it... @Ritchierich says that every £20 from an Oldham fan goes towards our survival and yes it does, absolutely it does and please bring 1000 people down.

But what's the point in that when we have our own fans boycotting the game, not buying season tickets, threatening never to set foot inside Roots Hall until the rat is gone... wow, what power you are giving him! He certainly doesn't seem bothered.

So, if we throw our financial support behind the club (note, the club, not Ron Martin) then we can actually ensure the wages are paid. I have said before, 1000 season tickets equal about £300,000 so 2000 will be double that. There could be another £50k matchday revenue on top if there is a 6000 crowd and with transfer fees for Wooster, league/TV appearance money and sales of other merchandise this could be a significant amount towards our survival.

The management team have been here working behind the scenes unpaid. Staff at the club went unpaid for months. Now it's all systems go again and we need to ensure that we do absolutely everything to make sure we don't get a 10 point deduction. I want to show the unpaid heroes who have stuck around for us because they care to know that we care too and you can't do that by refusing to give the club your support when it needs it most.

So come on. The protests may have had an effect of sorts but they haven't achieved the desired result. Now is time for us to step up in the other direction - the polar opposite of what we have done so far - and do our very very best to keep the club alive. After all, we have donated to the Trust's hardship fund, many gave up their time at the weekend for "Operation clean Roots Hall" and there are various posts on here suggesting that the fans could raise significant sums of money to wrest the club from Ron's grip by - literally - putting sufficient money in his pocket to go. I find it therefore ironic that people won't consider putting a far smaller amount in to help the current survival plan because they don't want to put money in Ron's pocket.

if we all pull together, who knows what we can achieve? We need the loyal players who have stayed to hear a packed Hall, just like it was against Wealdstone in May, with all the home voices roaring them on against all odds.

And one day, Ron will go. Of that I am certain.
Fan boy. #Martin out. Just because we have managed to somehow get the season going, if anything the pressure now to get him out should be doubled.

Last edited:
Is chairman ron runnind scared .At long last the players and staff was paid on time .Can only guess chairman Ron found some loose change in his bentley .

Now am i correct that any gate recipts from sat game Ron doesnt get a single penny from it .If so i may just go if untrue and he benifits from it i wont .

Well, for some considerable time now most people have been focusing on getting Ron Martin out of the club, and getting him out now. I have never been an advocate of that strategy as I thought it would kill the club; literally cutting our nose off to spite our face. I only wanted him to go either when he was ready (i.e. after FF was built) or if there was a buyer. There was, then there wasn't, then there was again, then possibly someone else, but not really. The reasons for that are actually not important. We are where we are and thank heavens the NL and the Courts have given us the stay of execution necessary for us to get to this point; 5 days away from a home game at the start of the season.

And as far as Ron goes, we are no further along the road than we were in March, aside from showing him, his family and neighbours that he really isn't very popular.

He has put another £250k in the club to keep it afloat and keep us alive. We aren't in very good health, granted, yet here we are. August 23rd will be a milestone date but again, absolutely nothing that has happened makes me think that there is any intention for us to not pay HMRC by then.

So, embargo lifted, there isn't another payday due between now and then so that means Kev and Co can move quickly to improve the squad before the inevitable next embargo.

So, as @ms brush says, what are the polar opposites to the highlighted questions? Because anything that we have done so far hasn't had the desired effect.

I'm not sure there is an answer or an opposite for the second question actually; but the opposite of "How to kill a football club" is "How do you keep a football club alive?" and the answer is so unbelievably obvious to me, but sadly not to many who have allowed their own personal hatred of Ron Martin to overtake and cloud their thoughts.

Even the Oldham fans get it... @Ritchierich says that every £20 from an Oldham fan goes towards our survival and yes it does, absolutely it does and please bring 1000 people down.

But what's the point in that when we have our own fans boycotting the game, not buying season tickets, threatening never to set foot inside Roots Hall until the rat is gone... wow, what power you are giving him! He certainly doesn't seem bothered.

So, if we throw our financial support behind the club (note, the club, not Ron Martin) then we can actually ensure the wages are paid. I have said before, 1000 season tickets equal about £300,000 so 2000 will be double that. There could be another £50k matchday revenue on top if there is a 6000 crowd and with transfer fees for Wooster, league/TV appearance money and sales of other merchandise this could be a significant amount towards our survival.

The management team have been here working behind the scenes unpaid. Staff at the club went unpaid for months. Now it's all systems go again and we need to ensure that we do absolutely everything to make sure we don't get a 10 point deduction. I want to show the unpaid heroes who have stuck around for us because they care, to know that we care too and you can't do that by refusing to give the club your support when it needs it most.

So come on. The protests may have had an effect of sorts but they haven't achieved the desired result. Now is time for us to step up in the other direction - the polar opposite of what we have done so far - and do our very very best to keep the club alive. After all, we have donated to the Trust's hardship fund, many gave up their time at the weekend for "Operation clean Roots Hall" and there are various posts on here suggesting that the fans could raise significant sums of money to wrest the club from Ron's grip by - literally - putting sufficient money in his pocket to go. I find it therefore ironic that people won't consider putting a far smaller amount in to help the current survival plan because they don't want to put money in Ron's pocket.

If we all pull together, who knows what we can achieve? We need the loyal players who have stayed to hear a packed Hall, just like it was against Wealdstone in May, with all the home voices roaring them on against all odds.

If you want to be a zombie club treading water at the bottom of the non league for the next 5 years and be the laughing stock of English football, knock yourself out.

Don’t for one second think that the staff will get paid on time every month, that the tax bill will be paid every month, that the fans having to clean Roots Hall won’t be a bi monthly event, that we will have more than 16 players and not be in constant embargo’s or be deducted points etc.

Why would the 🐀 change the habits of the past 5 or 6 years overnight. Nothing will be different until he is out of the club, and that has to be as soon as possible.

Oh I am so ****ed off. A million words later and a hundred INKs. First game Saturday. ON!!! What can you say??? In Ron we trust. We have no other choice.

The club loses money with our season tickets. It’s not going to force his hand hugely by staying away. We are all here for the football, so my view is not to pay and go - it’s about the enjoyment. Personally - I can’t make the first 2 home games so it makes it easy for me :)

And as far as Ron goes, we are no further along the road than we were in March, aside from showing him, his family and neighbours that he really isn't very popular.

The management team have been here working behind the scenes unpaid. Staff at the club went unpaid for months. Now it's all systems go again and we need to ensure that we do absolutely everything to make sure we don't get a 10 point deduction. I want to show the unpaid heroes who have stuck around for us because they care, to know that we care too and you can't do that by refusing to give the club your support when it needs it most.

If we all pull together, who knows what we can achieve? We need the loyal players who have stayed to hear a packed Hall, just like it was against Wealdstone in May, with all the home voices roaring them on against all odds.

POST. OF. THE. MONTH. (And I do mean July!)

I would suggest a number of zoners should print off FBM’s post and paste it on the bedroom wall where they will see it first thing every morning.
How refreshing to read something constructive with dare I say it, a realistic forward plan. Anyone with the minutest amount of perception can see that Ron is playing us.
So no amount of name-calling or protesting will have the slightest affect on him, other than to play us harder. Fight FOR our club rather than fight AGAINST Ron. The latter is futile and instils a constant negative feeling nagging in our bodies.
The former is a positive way of responding, you have only got to look at the clean-up exercise yesterday, where just a few hours doing something for the club we all love gave a warm glow of satisfaction afterwards (it certainly did with me anyway).

It would be great to have upwards of 7,500 at Roots Hall on Saturday. It should not be a day of protest, rather a day of getting behind the team we love; I genuinely think the level of emotion could easily surpass the Joe Pigott moment at Wembley, or the Peter Clarke equaliser at Stamford Bridge.
Ron will do what Ron decides to do. Nothing we can do will change that, but like FBM I am convinced Ron will be gone from the club in the not too distant future.
Meanwhile we all need to channel our feelings in a positive way, and try to use this approach going forward. I believe we will all feel better for it.

Now creditors and players/staff have been paid, what's the updated debt to be paid?
Is it now only HMRC that needs to be paid off?

One does wonder if any potential buyers are also playing cat and mouse and are waiting for Ron to pay HMRC before putting their offer in.

If you want to be a zombie club treading water at the bottom of the non league for the next 5 years and be the laughing stock of English football, knock yourself out.

Don’t for one second think that the staff will get paid on time every month, that the tax bill will be paid every month, that the fans having to clean Roots Hall won’t be a bi monthly event, that we will have more than 16 players and not be in constant embargo’s or be deducted points etc.

Why would the 🐀 change the habits of the past 5 or 6 years overnight. Nothing will be different until he is out of the club, and that has to be as soon as possible.
I think you have completely missed my point.

I don't doubt what you say for a minute. That wasn't the object of the post which was in response to a specific question. We - the fans - have it in our power to make things a lot better than they are but we aren't willing to do that because of the anti-Ron sentiment. I get it, I really do, but with the season 5 days away, protests, boycotts and foot stamping are not the way forward in my opinion. If we actually support the club, like, you know, supporters are meant to do (as opposed to just being followers), then things may be a little better than they would have been if we just relied on Ron Martin to do the right thing and then moan about it afterwards when he invariably doesn't.

In short, I want a club to support. However, if you want to bang your head against a brick wall by trying to get that confused narcissist out of the club before he is either ready or able to go, then you knock yourself out. Good luck with that.

Now creditors and players/staff have been paid, what's the updated debt to be paid?
Is it now only HMRC that needs to be paid off?

One does wonder if any potential buyers are also playing cat and mouse and are waiting for Ron to pay HMRC before putting their offer in.
That would make a lot of sense to me, thinking in the mindset of a buyer. But couldn’t they just play it as a condition of purchase and make the offer earlier? We’ve already missed out on a ton of player targets. The longer the embargo drags on, the deeper and deeper into the mire we fall.

That would make a lot of sense to me, thinking in the mindset of a buyer. But couldn’t they just play it as a condition of purchase and make the offer earlier? We’ve already missed out on a ton of player targets. The longer the embargo drags on, the deeper and deeper into the mire we fall.
We were told the pressing debt was £1 million and other creditors totalled around £1.5 million.

The WUO is still alive and kicking and al most certainly the £250k+ owed to HMRC hasn’t been touched nor I suspect has any of the additional debt owed to them post the serving of the WUO

What is being paid is the money required to satisfy the NL and that’s key because that was non negotiable if football was to be played next season.

I am confused 1) where the funds have come from and 2) Suspicious as to what happens between 5/8 & 23/8 I can’t get from my mind the fact that entering a CVA without football creditors and swept up into what is a payment plan yes comes with a single 10 point penalty I think ends the embargo but what is key the club can be run by the majority shareholder

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back