• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Standing in the Gangways

If we are going by the rules then your right we should sit but that is not what football is about..... traditionally the away games are for die hards who want to stand and sing for 90 mins, that's what makes the away days special in this country. I have no problems with fans who want to sit, its your choice how you want to follow your team throughout the 90 mins but I do feel those who want to sit should sit towards the front. If we all sat there wouldn't be any atmosphere.
That's all opinion.

I'm sure others would disagree. Football is about watching your team play. It's not about whether you sit or stand.

I'm also not a die hard fan, so does that mean me and many others shouldn't be at away matches?

That's all opinion.

I'm sure others would disagree. Football is about watching your team play. It's not about whether you sit or stand.

I'm also not a die hard fan, so does that mean me and many others shouldn't be at away matches?
I think we are going round in cycles here bit. I agree football is about going to support your team but its also about enjoying the away day experience...... Majority of away fans stand, its the same with every club in the country and that wont change due to minority who disagree. What option have fans who want to sit at away games got? The only 2 solution I know of is to buy tickets in the front rows or don't go. There isn't much else to say really.

I think we are going round in cycles here bit. I agree football is about going to support your team but its also about enjoying the away day experience...... Majority of away fans stand, its the same with every club in the country and that wont change due to minority who disagree. What option have fans who want to sit at away games got? The only 2 solution I know of is to buy tickets in the front rows or don't go. There isn't much else to say really.
Have you got any stats to back that up as is be very surprised if it's true.

When I went to Barnet, we had seats half way up in B block, from the isle in towards A block. All the standers were behind us, however there were groups of people that thought it was acceptable to stand in the Isles and on the stairs blocking my view, basically I couldn't see the near goal up to around the penalty spot and couldn't see out towards the corner flag or edge of the box to my left. It got so packed in the isle that someone actually had the nerve to wedge himself in between me as I was sitting and the seat in front of me. I had to shove him out the way, good job I was the bigger person.

Isles are exits and I think it is actually against safety laws to allow people to persistently stand in them. Through out the game when people were trying to leave their seat for toilet or get a drink etc., they couldn't because the isles and stairs were blocked.

This only seems to be a fairly recent thing, going back a few years anyone persistently standing were ejected from the ground as stewards enforced the correct laws and guidance.

And before anyone moans, I am in my early 40's and fit and healthy, I could stand if I wanted but prefer to sit because that's my choice. Safe standing is different as that's what it is, SAFE. It also has a rail that can be leant on, and protects you and others. It can only take a bit of commotion and the groups standing in the isle can easily domino and fall down on innocent people especially on the steep steps at Barnet. Despite sitting I also sing and cheer and am vocally encouraging and sitting does not hinder me in that. I also am a season ticket holder since my early years and attend lots of away games so I am no less or no more than of a supporter than others.

Like many on here please respect those that wish to sit and not block their view

Have you got any stats to back that up as is be very surprised if it's true.
It’s certainly true for the bigger clubs. If you watch a game with any Premier League, Championship, or bigger L1 club (Pompey, Derby etc) away from home. The whole away end is usually stood up.

L1 and below is a little bit different with clubs our size, and is probably more half and half in terms of sitting/standing. Although I’m not sure why there is that difference between us and the bigger clubs.

Not really any point in asking for stats because this isn’t something that is officially recorded.

Used to love standing at away games but simply can't anymore. When you buy tickets at Roots Hall for away games, you have very little say in where your ticket is as they have to just sell them in order.

At away grounds, a degree of common sense in the host clubs should make sure it is unallocated, so that those who wish to stand can do so at the back of the stand, and those who don't want to or can't can choose to sit closer to the front. It's pretty logical and just requires a bit of common sense in applying it! No-one should be stood in aisles though, that's a safety infringement and the stewards should have moved people on.

Problem is we are attracting bigger away crowds now and often of the type that want to be part of the big singing throng - nothing wrong with that at all, but maybe people should also make sure that they're not sitting in an area which is likely to fill up with lots of young, lively supporters.

At least there won't be this problem at Oxford City........ even the people standing wont be able to see anything let alone the few in the handful of seats that they give us.

Again shouldn't be a problem at Maidenhead, Flyde & Solihull as mostly terrace.
I doubt we will take big enough numbers for it to be a problem at all seated Oldham or Hartlepool either.

It’s certainly true for the bigger clubs. If you watch a game with any Premier League, Championship, or bigger L1 club (Pompey, Derby etc) away from home. The whole away end is usually stood up.

L1 and below is a little bit different with clubs our size, and is probably more half and half in terms of sitting/standing. Although I’m not sure why there is that difference between us and the bigger clubs.

Not really any point in asking for stats because this isn’t something that is officially recorded.
So, again, it's opinion, or perception.

I’m generally pretty forgiving on people who pick random seats, as long as they’re polite and move when asked. But also noticed this on Saturday, as well as groups of 5/6/7 boys trying to fit in the space or 2 or 3 seats. Blocks people’s view as well as being quite unsafe

You obviously don't sit in the W block

It's like this every game. Sometimes 3 deep in an aisle..

As for the issue at away games.

It's simple. Book tickets down the front. I always book back row with a view to stand and not annoy anyone.

As at Barnet and again on Saturday at Chesterfield there is group of supporters who are standing in the gangways causing those of us who have a seat to stand because our views are being obscured.Please remember not everyone can stand due to various reasons so please be fair and understand this and don't be selfish.Afterall we are all in attendance for one reason all that is to support our football club.
The atmosphere was electric on Saturday generated by everyone not a selected few.

Thankyou for your consideration
Whilst I understand the frustrations, people only stand in the gangways because there wasn’t sufficient room for people to stand in seats due to them being allocated - instead of standing down the front and blocking everyone’s view, people are trying to be polite and move to the back of the stand which unfortunately is either allocated or filled to the rafters as there isn’t enough capacity to accommodate people who wish to stand.

It’s also of note, from experience, the standing in the gangways is only for the back half of the stand which in my opinion is for standing and sitting down the front. I can’t see any basis for complaint about standing if you wish to purchase tickets on the back few rows with an aim to be seated throughout the game.

Not that I disagree with your post but I think there needs to be consideration for people trying to be courteous of others in the circumstances. I understand if people wish to be seated they should not have their views obstructed by someone who wants to stand - however there needs to be a common sense approach and book tickets further down the front, as much as people wish to berate people for standing in-front for them, the same courtesy needs to be given to people who paid the exact same price but wishes to stand at a football game - it’s common sense.

Last edited:
Whilst I understand the frustrations, people only stand in the gangways because there wasn’t sufficient room for people to stand in seats due to them being allocated - instead of standing down the front and blocking everyone’s view, people are trying to be polite and move to the back of the stand which unfortunately is either allocated or filled to the rafters as there isn’t enough capacity to accommodate people who wish to stand.

It’s also of note, from experience, the standing in the gangways is only for the back half of the stand which in my opinion is for standing and sitting down the front. I can’t see any basis for complaint about standing if you wish to purchase tickets on the back few rows with an aim to be seated throughout the game.

Not that I disagree with your post but I think there needs to be consideration for people trying to be courteous of others in the circumstances. I understand if people wish to be seated they should not have their views obstructed by someone who wants to stand - however there needs to be a common sense approach and book tickets further down the front, as much as people wish to berate people for standing in-front for them, the same courtesy needs to be given to people who paid the exact same price but wishes to stand at a football game - it’s common sense.
Sensible post, thanks. But I don't think many that have posted on here, highlighting supporters in the aisles, are unaware of the need to share and share alike. There seems to be a misconception that those that want to sit have no time for standers, and that is completely wrong. Want to stand? - up the back, want to sit with an uninterrupted view, then down the front rows you go. It has absolutely nothing to do with creating atmosphere or stopping those that stand having a good time and getting the buzz, and if you read back to earlier posts, most 'sitters' have already stated that they buy seats towards the front. It's all about still being able to see a game when you are not capable of standing, either at all, or very much and not brassing off those that want to stand, sing and cheer. Me and her manage most of that, just the standing that buggers me I'm afraid.

I think people just need to use common sense as I believe you have suggested. If you want to sit down then book at the front and if you want to stand, book at the back. At least then if it is allocated people know where they are. Obviously it won't be that straightforward but that is probably the best way of doing it. If people are booking tickets at the front and still being blocked then that is a problem as well.

Highlighted at several points throughout this thread, quite simply it needs to be made universal within our club:

back = standing, front = seated.

Maybe worth a club social media broadcast so this rule reaches those supporters not on SZ to avoid issues like this in future?

Highlighted at several points throughout this thread, quite simply it needs to be made universal within our club:

back = standing, front = seated.

Maybe worth a club social media broadcast so this rule reaches those supporters not on SZ to avoid issues like this in future?
I don't think the club would broadcast anything because of the fact fans aren't really going by the regs supposed to stand in seats. Obviously it happens and there's not much wrong with it but, yeah.

The trouble is there is minority in society that are selfish and have no consideration for others, even their fellow fans.

At York last year I was in the 2nd row, but the lads in the first row stayed standing after kick off and had to be asked to sit. They did reluctantly, but obviously they weren't self aware enough to even think about the people sitting behind them in the first place.

The situation at Chesterfield wasn't helped by us nearly selling out our ticket allocation and being stuck down the side of a stand rather than in the 'traditional' away end.

However, as someone who needed medical attention at Altrincham, I know the importance of keeping stairs and gangways clear!

And by the way, thank you to the people that asked about my health in the Derby Tup before the match.

Last edited:
Back