• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Standing in the Gangways

This may sound harsh but I personally think if you want to sit then you have to secure tickets in the front rows otherwise maybe consider not attending as you could end up potentially standing...... majority of fans wish to stand on away days and they do to be fair. That's the solution I'm afraid.
That doesn't mean they should be standing the aisles though

This may sound harsh but I personally think if you want to sit then you have to secure tickets in the front rows otherwise maybe consider not attending as you could end up potentially standing...... majority of fans wish to stand on away days and they do to be fair. That's the solution I'm afraid.
It's not harsh at all, it's common sense. What folk are commenting on is when supporters stand in front of them in the front rows or block the aisles down the front.

As at Barnet and again on Saturday at Chesterfield there is group of supporters who are standing in the gangways causing those of us who have a seat to stand because our views are being obscured.Please remember not everyone can stand due to various reasons so please be fair and understand this and don't be selfish.Afterall we are all in attendance for one reason all that is to support our football club.
The atmosphere was electric on Saturday generated by everyone not a selected few.

Thankyou for your consideration
Maybe ask them to move.

This is a continuing issue, away game after away game. Some supporters are very decent if they are asked to sit down, especially towards the front of a stand, and lets face it, they are going to be asked by those that can't stand. The second group are the sensible 'standers' that go to the back of the stand. Then finally you have another breed that simply couldn't give **** about anyone when standing, gangways, seats in front of you, who cares, if you can't stand then don't come to the away games. I've encountered that on more than one occasion. If the stewards don't do their job then, short of a ruck, there isn't much that can be done. It's not an exclusive issue for Southend, it's an issue across pro football, but is still very annoying and sad when it happens

Yes, it's because of the standing fans that I usually buy my ticket among the home fans - and I have never encountered any standing there in dozens of grounds. Of course it's a different experience but an interesting one too. Provided I don't get too enthusiastic when we score!

Bottom line, the current situation will continue were some sit, others stand and then there is that grey area in between. To be fair, we have asked fans in front of us (at the front rows of the stand @Paulie Walnuts) if they would mind sitting down and mostly it's not a problem. There have also been occasions where we asked and I've already described some of the responses. So me and her have two choices, go to away games and accept that we will sometimes encounter selfish, drink fuelled arseholes, or stay at home. A tricky choice. Once upon a time those with potty mouths would have only gobbed off once, nowadays the brain is still reactionary but the body is a very poor follower, so if it happens we have to suck it up.
I did go to Chesterfield Saturday, because I thought I had a reasonable chance to sit throughout and I was ok. I would love to go to more away matches, but I know I can't stand for 90 minutes. Guess I will have to wait until we are back in the EFL.

Reactions: RHB
Bottom line, the current situation will continue were some sit, others stand and then there is that grey area in between. To be fair, we have asked fans in front of us (at the front rows of the stand @Paulie Walnuts) if they would mind sitting down and mostly it's not a problem. There have also been occasions where we asked and I've already described some of the responses. So me and her have two choices, go to away games and accept that we will sometimes encounter selfish, drink fuelled arseholes, or stay at home. A tricky choice. Once upon a time those with potty mouths would have only gobbed off once, nowadays the brain is still reactionary but the body is a very poor follower, so if it happens we have to suck it up.
I hear what you're saying but 9 time out of 10 you don't have to sit anywhere near the ones who are more boisterous than others as most of the more quieter ones do not.

I saw this thread and joined SZ to comment as I was one of the people standing in the aisle in the first half. I had a ticket for the second row at the back but by the time I got into the ground, people were standing in the aisle at least six rows down from the back and there was no way I could get to my seat. Everyone behind me appeared to be standing so I didn't think I was blocking anyone's view.
When I set off from home I thought I would be in my seat by just after two. I was later getting to the ground than I expected as some numpty had abandoned their car on the outside lane of the dual carriageway going into Chesterfield. There was a one-mile tailback of cars merging into a single lane.
When I finally got to the ground, there were long and very slow-moving queues at the away fans gate. There seemed to be issues with the ticket scanners and in the end the stewards opened up the exit gates to let fans in.
For what its worth I hated standing in the aisle with people pushing and shoving past me for most of the half. Fortunately, I was able to find a seat in the second half.
I apologise to anyone whose view I did obstruct but I just wanted to give another side of the story.

I hear what you're saying but 9 time out of 10 you don't have to sit anywhere near the ones who are more boisterous than others as most of the more quieter ones do not.
True, but by the same token, often after we score thee is a surge of fans legging it down the front, especially in the second half, and there they stay. We could probably argue the toss about this all afternoon, but I'm all posted out now, so I'm done and off to eat my sandwiches.

I saw this thread and joined SZ to comment as I was one of the people standing in the aisle in the first half. I had a ticket for the second row at the back but by the time I got into the ground, people were standing in the aisle at least six rows down from the back and there was no way I could get to my seat. Everyone behind me appeared to be standing so I didn't think I was blocking anyone's view.
When I set off from home I thought I would be in my seat by just after two. I was later getting to the ground than I expected as some numpty had abandoned their car on the outside lane of the dual carriageway going into Chesterfield. There was a one-mile tailback of cars merging into a single lane.
When I finally got to the ground, there were long and very slow-moving queues at the away fans gate. There seemed to be issues with the ticket scanners and in the end the stewards opened up the exit gates to let fans in.
For what its worth I hated standing in the aisle with people pushing and shoving past me for most of the half. Fortunately, I was able to find a seat in the second half.
I apologise to anyone whose view I did obstruct but I just wanted to give another side of the story.
Thanks for coming on here to put your views you did the decent thing and found a seat unfortunately some didnt consider anyone else and still stood in the gangway.

I do sympathise with those who can’t stand getting stuck in a standing area. But you are never going to stop this in all-seater away ends where it’s nearly sold out. If you want to sit down the best bet is to chose a seat in the front half of the stand.

I’d say typically half want to sit and half want to stand. So why can’t those who want to stand buy seats in the back half and those who want to sit buy seats in the front half? That way everyone gets what they want. Instead you’ll get people (not aimed at you just a general comment) that want to sit down that buy tickets near the back and then wonder why there’s people standing in front of them.
Agree. However when you buy a ticket in the front third of the stand, with a lot of the seating behind you, as far forward as you can get because of seat availability. I can stand, but I am also vertically challenged. That aside, I don't expect to be unable to see past a group of huge men-children who could quite easily make their way to some of the very empty rows near the back and stand up there without annoying anyone! I also dont enjoy being told to either move or to chill when i am being jostled around by said huge men.

I know that there is a simple answer, but that simple answer works in more that one way!!

I thought the whole point of seats was to sit on them. If you want to stand, go to the standing area. If there isn't one, then so be it.

As it happens I had this "issue" at Barnet because the group in front of us stood the whole match. Personally I didn't really mind and just stood too, but asking all people who want to sit to buy tickets at the front of a seated section is rather missing the point of a seated section.

I thought the whole point of seats was to sit on them. If you want to stand, go to the standing area. If there isn't one, then so be it.

As it happens I had this "issue" at Barnet because the group in front of us stood the whole match. Personally I didn't really mind and just stood too, but asking all people who want to sit to buy tickets at the front of a seated section is rather missing the point of a seated section.
I think the problem is more that people want to stand in all seater sections, for me I often go only to away games due to my location and almost always sit close to the front on an aisle due to knackered knees, (oh the joys of being a veteran).

I have no problem if people want to stand as long as they only do so near the back, it really should be an unwritten agreement with all our various supporters groups, given the size of our away support perhaps some organising when people get into the ground wouldn't be such a bad idea

If we are going by the rules then your right we should sit but that is not what football is about..... traditionally the away games are for die hards who want to stand and sing for 90 mins, that's what makes the away days special in this country. I have no problems with fans who want to sit, its your choice how you want to follow your team throughout the 90 mins but I do feel those who want to sit should sit towards the front. If we all sat there wouldn't be any atmosphere.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back