• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium atmosphere

I have never understood why we dont pre-pour pints for half time. when you go to other sporting events, like a day out at lords, the bar staff get pints ready before lunch and tea so when the big crowds come to the bar they turn around the customers quickly

At the theatre you can order and pay for your interval drinks before the performance starts. The staff then spend the first act getting all the drinks ready...

At the theatre you can order and pay for your interval drinks before the performance starts. The staff then spend the first act getting all the drinks ready...

That's what they do in the bar under the East yellows

That's what they do in the bar under the East yellows

and the main East Stand bar behind the greens and black seats. What really annoys me is if you go in 10mins beofre half time the staff refuse to serve you before half time!!!! The staff are literally standing there... Customers are literally just standing waving tenners, BUT THEY REFUSE UNTIL THE WHISTLE!!!! Then the whistle goes, the bar is 6 deep and they can't flippin serve people in time.. As you can tell this really annoys me - if it was my business I'd sack the flippin lot of them, starting with the bar manager - I've said it before, the club are losing money - simply speaking, I barely get time to drink one pint at half time - if they served 5-10mins before half time I'd double my spend and have 2.... COME SOUTHEND UNITED - THIS IS SIMPLES!!!!!!

and the main East Stand bar behind the greens and black seats. What really annoys me is if you go in 10mins beofre half time the staff refuse to serve you before half time!!!! The staff are literally standing there... Customers are literally just standing waving tenners, BUT THEY REFUSE UNTIL THE WHISTLE!!!! Then the whistle goes, the bar is 6 deep and they can't flippin serve people in time.. As you can tell this really annoys me - if it was my business I'd sack the flippin lot of them, starting with the bar manager - I've said it before, the club are losing money - simply speaking, I barely get time to drink one pint at half time - if they served 5-10mins before half time I'd double my spend and have 2.... COME SOUTHEND UNITED - THIS IS SIMPLES!!!!!!

You'd really miss 10 minutes of our glorious Blues !.................................:omg:

Bit miffed as to why there are people moaning about queuing for beer when there are people in front buying the softer option for families and taking time when on previous threads you state that you want to promote the future supporter. Standing there moaning in a drunken stuppour is not promoting the match day experience in the brightest light but more of a throw back to bygone days that you state you want to move away from. Think people need to take a check of what they say.

I think what people are actually doing is trying to improve the customer experience for everyone, and increase revenue in the process.

I may be wrong here, but I think that is a legal issue. I don't think they're allowed to serve until half time. I do know that you're not allowed to drink alcohol at your seat. Perhaps they believe that with 10 minutes until half time you're likely to be going back to your seat with the drink?

Either way, as annoying as it is, I think they're doing the right thing.

I may be wrong here, but I think that is a legal issue. I don't think they're allowed to serve until half time. I do know that you're not allowed to drink alcohol at your seat. Perhaps they believe that with 10 minutes until half time you're likely to be going back to your seat with the drink?

I thought the same, but looking on google I can;t find anything to back this up . What I believe is the relevant act doesn't have this in it - I instinctively agree with you but cant back it up with facts
http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/advice/faqs/sporting-events-act-1985

having a small shop by the west saturday sounds like a clever idea, also the about pre poured beers :smiles:

Surely we've got to make the most out of a large attendance.I think that little tea-bar in P Block, in between the Family Enclosure and the South Stand, would be an ideal place to sell the basics like hats, scarves etc to youngsters. While we are on the subject of the Family Enc (my kids are grown up now), but it still frustrates me that pre-match, Sammy and Elvis spend more time having a kick-a-bout in front of the away supporters than they do signing autographs etc with our kids.

Nope, deff not illegal, as long as the drinks aren't being served in sight of the pitch..

Nope, deff not illegal, as long as the drinks aren't being served in sight of the pitch..

Agreed, I'm sure at some away games we've been to the game has been so dire we stayed in the bar for most of the game.

Also, Carlisle have the best home made burgers I've tasted at a football match.

I thought the same, but looking on google I can;t find anything to back this up . What I believe is the relevant act doesn't have this in it - I instinctively agree with you but cant back it up with facts
http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/advice/faqs/sporting-events-act-1985

That at least ties in with the bit in bold above.

The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985 prevents:-

drunken entry into a football ground (which, in practice, to be an arrestable offence includes disorderly behaviour);
the consumption of alcohol within view of the playing area including, during the restricted period (15 minutes before the start of the event to 15 minutes after the end of the event), rooms within the ground from which the event may be directly viewed;
the consumption of alcohol on certain coaches, trains and motor vehicles travelling to a designated football match;
the possession of fireworks or flares.
- See more at: http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/advice/faqs/sporting-events-act-1985#sthash.w9jSAa5s.dpuf

but it still frustrates me that pre-match, Sammy and Elvis spend more time having a kick-a-bout in front of the away supporters than they do signing autographs etc with our kids.

Have to disagree. They are outside in the car park welcoming people to the ticket office/shop/stadium up to 90 minutes before kick off time. They then enter the stadium and play football with the match day mascots for a short while (all of whom have paid for the privilege), before walking around the stands and entertaining the crowd. They have even been within the Family Enclosure during some games this season when safe to do so. You make it sound as if they do nothing else and I find that very unfair. They do continue to interact with the children around the stadium, as well as other supporters too.

Agreed, I'm sure at some away games we've been to the game has been so dire we stayed in the bar for most of the game.

Also, Carlisle have the best home made burgers I've tasted at a football match.

Now that is an idea; BETTER QUALITY FOOD! get a local butchers in to supply the burgers, sausages and pies! How about the good butchers in North Road nr the ground?

Have to disagree. They are outside in the car park welcoming people to the ticket office/shop/stadium up to 90 minutes before kick off time. They then enter the stadium and play football with the match day mascots for a short while (all of whom have paid for the privilege), before walking around the stands and entertaining the crowd. They have even been within the Family Enclosure during some games this season when safe to do so. You make it sound as if they do nothing else and I find that very unfair. They do continue to interact with the children around the stadium, as well as other supporters too.

Fair play to them if you're right, but to be fair I've never seen them in the Family Enclosure itself and when we've been sat in or near there we rarely see them. Not as much atmosphere in there as there used to be as well, lots of kids looking very bored (and we can't even blame the football for that any more!)

The food isn't only bad, but it's overpriced! When we was in the championship, didn't they do meal deals?

This is southend, the seaside, known for fish and chips.. why not serve chips at least? I'd be willing to buy them? So would the vegetarians!

Back