• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southgate resigns - Who next for the England Manager's job?

Who next for the England Manager's job. Southgate Resigns.

• Total voters
Why ? They played for England, they've been to major tournaments with them and they've watched other England managers up close. Surely, a better CV than some foreign guy who knows nothing about the ins and outs of playing for England and the pressures it brings ?
England's kitman has watched other England managers up close as well, it doesn't mean he'd be a good manager. Claiming that David Beckham (a man who has never coached in his life) has a better CV than Tuchel (who has coached several top sides) just because he was better on the pitch is ridiculous. Even if you wanted an English manager Dyche or Howe would also be much better picks because they've shown they know how to manage, the fact they didn't represent their countries as a player doesn't change that.

Similarly you can't pay any attention to the premier league if you think Gerrard or Lampard would be better options. Both have been given premier league jobs in the past and looked completely out of their depth. Gerrard in particular managed to make one of the best sides in the league look like relegation favourites. History is littered with fantastic managers that were crap players and vice versa.

England's kitman has watched other England managers up close as well, it doesn't mean he'd be a good manager. Claiming that David Beckham (a man who has never coached in his life) has a better CV than Tuchel (who has coached several top sides) just because he was better on the pitch is ridiculous, Dyche or Howe would also be much better picks because they've shown they know how to manage.

Similarly you can't pay any attention to the premier league if you think Gerrard or Lampard would be better options, both have been given premier league jobs in the past and looked completely out of their depth. Gerrard in particular managed to make one of the best sides in the league look like relegation favourites. History is littered with fantastic managers that were crap players and vice versa.
I don't think you can compare it to Premier League management. Club sides are about buying and selling, managing budgets etc. This is about picking the best of the crop

When you look at the better players Roy Keane who has opportunities to manager and failed time and time again it’s more than watching or playing that makes a great manager
Gary Neville couldn’t hack it in Spain and Rooney has not set the world alight, and Steve Bruce just bounced around the lower leagues
What have these got in common they played and learnt under Alex Ferguson and yet cannot even get close to being called a decent manager, proving it takes more than just mentoring someone

Why ? They played for England, they've been to major tournaments with them and they've watched other England managers up close. Surely, a better CV than some foreign guy who knows nothing about the ins and outs of playing for England and the pressures it brings ?

So going to major tournaments and watching other England managers, who let’s be honest have failed as they haven’t delivered silverware, is a better CV than Tuchel who has 11 major trophies, managed in top leaves, including the Premier League (so does know the ins and outs of English football) and won the Champions League, which is often referred to as the pinnacle of club football? When you refer to other England managers, that includes Erikson & Capello too, so not just English managers…

I’d could have got behind Eddie Howe, that’s who I’d have picked if we went English, but the FA have gone for a serial winner, with a proven track record. It might work, it might not, but I’m much happier with Tuchel in charge than I was Carsley, or would be with the likes of Lampard and Gerrard.

So going to major tournaments and watching other England managers, who let’s be honest have failed as they haven’t delivered silverware, is a better CV than Tuchel who has 11 major trophies, managed in top leaves, including the Premier League (so does know the ins and outs of English football) and won the Champions League, which is often referred to as the pinnacle of club football? When you refer to other England managers, that includes Erikson & Capello too, so not just English managers…

I’d could have got behind Eddie Howe, that’s who I’d have picked if we went English, but the FA have gone for a serial winner, with a proven track record. It might work, it might not, but I’m much happier with Tuchel in charge than I was Carsley, or would be with the likes of Lampard and Gerrard.
knows his ins and outs of english football ? He was at Chelsea for one year !

Hardly knowing it in and out, though ! :Think:

Do you need to?

You just need to know which players are available for selection, and pick from that pool.

You then work with the squad you have selected. Don’t need to know the ins and outs of everything else out there, let’s not overcomplicate things here.

Do you need to?

You just need to know which players are available for selection, and pick from that pool.

You then work with the squad you have selected. Don’t need to know the ins and outs of everything else out there, let’s not overcomplicate things here.
I was just using your words. Still, let's agree to disagree. 3pts for the shrimpers tomorrow and we move on :Winking:

I don't think you can compare it to Premier League management. Club sides are about buying and selling, managing budgets etc. This is about picking the best of the crop
Fair point about transfers but it doesn't really apply to Gerrard. When Emery took over from Gerrard he took the same group of players Gerrard had and took them from 17th up to 7th in the table, it was almost entirely down to Emery being a much better man-manager and tactician than Gerrard was.

Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney three very High profile players , have hardly given any indication that they can Manage.

Whilst the Premier league is top heavy with foreign managers , English managers are going to get little opportunity to learn how to manage the world class , ridiculously paid , player who represents their country . A skill required to manage the country I imagine.

Eddie Howe , absolutely great at getting the "underdog" to over achieve at Bournemouth . Give him the capability/ budget to pick up top flight players and his performances have been largely uninspiring . And he has been the Only English name seriously in the frame.
apart from getting Newcastle the relegation zone to the Champions League that is

When you look at the better players Roy Keane who has opportunities to manager and failed time and time again it’s more than watching or playing that makes a great manager
Gary Neville couldn’t hack it in Spain and Rooney has not set the world alight, and Steve Bruce just bounced around the lower leagues
What have these got in common they played and learnt under Alex Ferguson and yet cannot even get close to being called a decent manager, proving it takes more than just mentoring someone
agree with most of what you say, but Steve Bruce has mostly managed in the top division. factually untrue he's bounced around the lower leagues. he's not @Bromley Blue

Last edited:
i think the main issue is short-termism. look at somewhere like Italy. Ancelotti and Conte both got 20+ caps, so decent international players, but learnt their trade for years at smaller clubs before getting the big jobs. English managers don't seem to get the chance to learn, or be made to learn. they get a gig on their reputation as a player, get sacked, and that's it.
Gerrard did, what 2 years at Rangers and jumped ship at the first opportunity and was awful at Villa. Lampard had a whole one season at Derby. Rooney seemed to do alright at Derby before moving on, got Birmingham off his reputation and was awful. but where's the pathways for others to learn their trades in the lower leagues, perfect their craft then move up on merit? and the ability to learn, knowing it takes time, like any other skill

I like others would have loved to have seen an “Englishman” appointed into this role but, we have to go with the best person for the role and if it means we have to appoint a non-English person then so be it.
Football is a result based sport and if Tuchel can get the results and more importantly the silverware then I don’t think anyone for one minute will worry about his nationality.

Interestingly I was talking to Apes about this yesterday and she said something really interesting regarding English managers and more so the FA in relation to their licences and the cost involved in comparison to other countries. Our FA charge huge amounts hence why other countries have so many coaches/managers and we have so few

Honestly, i'd rather go out in the Qtr finals. At least it would have been our players and our coach. I wouldn't want to win, with the help of other countries (especially not one of our closest rivals).
Rubbish, the only reason Germany is considered a close rival is because we have been so **** poor against them over the years. Any national team is a rival when England play them. With regards to the English manager talent pool only Eddie Howe ticks any of the boxes and he was never going to walk away from Newcastle.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back