• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Oldham Athletic, Saturday 5th August, 15:00ko, NL, All Ticket no pay on the day

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 109 79.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 107 78.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 97 70.8%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 106 77.4%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 106 77.4%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 102 74.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 105 76.6%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 94 68.6%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 83 60.6%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 107 78.1%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 82 59.9%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Win

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Lose

Votes: 54 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 5k+ gate for our first game is very reasonable with so many supporters undecided whether to boycott or attend the game. Lets make a lot of noise for the lads tomorrow and replicate what we did to Oldham at home last season. They're not expecting us to be much cop and several have been giving it Bertie big bollocks. Let's make them work very hard for a result.

Come on you Blue Boys.

Taking many factors into account namely School holidays,cost of leaving problems and of course the upset caused by a certain individual looking forward to tomorrow's game and meeting up with many friends I have made over a lifetime of supporting my home town club

Tomorrow is going to be ‘orrid weather wise. Constant rain and wind (and possibly thunderstorms come full-time?). I’m not bothered at all (despite our seats being exposed to the elements). There will probably be just as much moisture coming from my aged eyes when our boys run out. I honestly didn’t think I’d be seeing this tomorrow.

Would certainly be a brave choice to drop the two most impressive players from pre-season.

The formation change is interesting. It’s effectively the same players so with the way teams shift shape these days it might not be as crazy as it would otherwise seem to change from the shape the team has set up throughout pre-season. The question is then would your 4-3-3 actually change the 3-2-5 shape in the final third in possession, the 4-4-2 in mid-block, the 5-3-2 low block etc?

@ShrimperStats has done some superb work on this and is a must read for anyone discussing formations

This analysis is absolutely brilliant. I think Maher's approach is more like man city focus setup.

The major difference was that man city scored goals at will whereas we struggled. So what is the difference?

Better players sure but also playing in a better league.

Should we be taking more risks? Are we focusing too much on defensive resolve than scoring goals?

When I watched we struggled to create opportunities outside of bridge.

Taking into account this article, available players and ignoring the news around the club this would be my team.

I'm also keen that we score more and take slightly more risks to succeed. I feel we sit back too much and focus on defensive stability more than scoring. The article is a great analysis however it always relies on utilising these formations, players available, playing certain players, and mentality for the game. Attack!

Colin
Taylor kensdale Ralph
Miley
Mooney husin fonguck bridge
Wood
cardwell

Or more like the players man city use

Colin
Gus kensdale Ralph
Miley husin
Mooney wood fonguck bridge
Cardwell

That said match 1 with all the rumblings I think we will be super defensive and play for a 0-0. It's Maher's way anyway

A Fantastic achievement Southend United fans

I personally cannot make the game today and NOT boycotting as I only have Southend United FC as my real hobby, don't support any other Football Club or really like other sports in general to be honest

Imagine once Ron Martin finally leaves we would of seen 7000 plus I am in now doubt

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX

5357 Sold*​

2811 seats available.

How’s everyone feeling today then? Despite everything that’s been happening (or not) we’ve made it to the start of the season. Can’t make today, financial decision, but would love a massive crowd to cheer on the team, come on, let’s go ⚽👏👏

Hopefully the pitch lasts out with all the rain expected, however do enjoy watching football in the rain, after all that's happened am looking forward to Saturdays and football being back, I actually think may be closer than I first thought today. 1-1

Heard last night Oldhams manager not travelling down as he’s gone down with Covid, just what we need with our small squad a couple of our players going down with it.

Agreed this is technically a free hit for the management team as no one is expecting anything and as such is take a few risk and go as attacking as possible to try and entertain the crowd

I was at a wedding yesterday and my mate said he wanted to come to the game today. It was 12:30am when he said that. I then had to inform him he couldn't come because you can't get a ticket. Ridiculous situation. What's the point in having things online and ticketless if you can't do it after Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back