• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Boston United, Tuesday 20th August, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 83 85.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 82 84.5%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

Votes: 84 86.6%
  • James Morton

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Josh Walker

• Harry Cardwell

Votes: 84 86.6%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 79 81.4%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • George Wind

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Beau MacDonald

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • George Moncur

Votes: 12 12.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 70 72.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty I think we might be either unchanged or same team as York. But I would really like to see this:

Collin
Taylor, Kensdale, Ralph
GSM, Coker, Miley, Bridge
Wood
Cardwell, Walker
For a side really lacking a creative spark at the moment, it’s really difficult to justify not giving Wood a chance here, especially as the Miley/Coker/Bridge and Miley/Morton/Coker experiment hasn’t really worked so far. In the absence of a new signing, I really hope he gets a shot.

Last edited:
Not sure I fully understood the opening post of that thread… he seems to be a bit confused as to whether we are one of the clubs yet to win a match this season or not!

Dan Mooney is a certain scorer for them, which means we’ll need two goals at least.

They’ve shipped 7 at home without scoring, so despite some below par showings from us up top I do think we might knock in a few on Tuesday. That’s unless their bus parking (which is surely inevitable given their two results so far) does the job.

I’ll say 3-1 to the mighty Shrimpers. Gus, Walker and Cardwell to score in front of about 6,450.
Could you make it 3 0 please?

Not sure I fully understood the opening post of that thread… he seems to be a bit confused as to whether we are one of the clubs yet to win a match this season or not!

Dan Mooney is a certain scorer for them, which means we’ll need two goals at least.

They’ve shipped 7 at home without scoring, so despite some below par showings from us up top I do think we might knock in a few on Tuesday. That’s unless their bus parking (which is surely inevitable given their two results so far) does the job.

I’ll say 3-1 to the mighty Shrimpers. Gus, Walker and Cardwell to score in front of about 6,450.
Not just me then. I read it a couple of times and thought maybe I wasn't understanding it.

I can remember playing Boston on a freezing cold Tuesday night, dont remember the date. My car broke down so i was late getting to game. It was an awful we lost 1-0. Dont think the crowd was even 3000. Think it was the last game for whoever the manager was then
I was at that game too! 2003 I think. My old man promised me a McDonald’s on the way home too and when approaching one he said we’d stop at the next one. But there wasn’t a next one and I ended up with a disgusting sandwich from a petrol station for dinner. Got home late and dad got a bollocking off mum. Bloody miserable that was.

In all honesty I think we might be either unchanged or same team as York. But I would really like to see this:

Collin
Taylor, Kensdale, Ralph
GSM, Coker, Miley, Bridge
Wood
Cardwell, Walker
For a side really lacking a creative spark at the moment, it’s really difficult to justify not giving Wood a chance here, especially as the Miley/Coker/Bridge and Miley/Morton/Coker experiment hasn’t really worked so far. In the absence of a new signing, I really hope he gets a shot.
This would be my side. Stop messing about with Ralph and Bridge, don't play Morton and Miley together, and give Wood a go.

See, being a manager is easy 🙂

Remember it well. Was 0-2 actually and was I think Steve Wignall’s last game in charge, Thank God. Still to this day, one of the worst performances I have seen from a Southend side.
The match report sounds as dire as I remember it. Wignall did actually survive a little longer. We won at Macclesfield, but then lost at home again to Northampton which was the final nail. Infamously Ron 'couldn't see the passion in his eyes'

Second-half goals from Pilgrims midfielders Lee Thompson and Simon Weatherstone condemned Blues to their third successive home league defeat.

And on the evidence of this pitiful display, which was completely devoid of any ideas or cohesion, it is hard to see the Shrimpers making a recovery.

Some Blues fans demanded the head of Southend boss Steve Wignall at the final whistle and worried-looking club owner Ron Martin was a far from happy man as he left the directors' box.

Both men were desperate for a positive reaction following an equally lacklustre defeat against another struggling outfit, Leyton Orient, at Roots Hall last Saturday.

But they never got it against a very ordinary Boston side, who were nothing more than workmanlike, but far hungrier and more organised than their hosts.

Even visiting striker Graeme Jones, who was vilified by most supporters during a disastrous spell with Blues last term, looked half-decent against Southend's petrified rearguard, so poor was the home team's performance.

The Seasiders are still 23rd in Division Three and are now three points adrift of the nearest team above them, Kidderminster Harriers.

And if Blues suffer another defeat at Macclesfield Town on Saturday, another side stuttering at the wrong end of the table, then serious questions and decisions need to be both asked and made.

Also may have been mentioned but was it Boston at home all those years ago when Gazza was with them briefly, didn’t play? And Tesfaye ended up going in goal after Flavs got sent off!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back