• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin approached by MP Anna Firth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when did this forum end up completely devoid of empathy? I find the overuse of 'cancer' deeply unpleasant and irrespective of whether it's an appropriate descriptor, if people are saying that they don't like it being used in that way (and completely understandably given the very sad experiences of several posters) then surely it's easy to just say "sure, I'll try and use a different form of words in future".
That rule works in a small dinner of half a dozen but less so on a forum of thousands. We can’t all remember every rule that triggers someone and collectively attempt to avoid them all.

We should of course sympathise with those who are (often justifiably) triggered but I don’t think we should expect everyone to only use an ever diminishing subset of the standard english language.

That rule works in a small dinner of half a dozen but less so on a forum of thousands. We can’t all remember every rule that triggers someone and collectively attempt to avoid them all.

We should of course sympathise with those who are (often justifiably) triggered but I don’t think we should expect everyone to only use an ever diminishing subset of the standard english language.
It works perfectly well. It's not the expectation that everyone avoids it, it's how people respond when it's raised. Some people wanted to really dig their heels in, rather than actually reflect on what was being said and have to say "yeah that's a fair point I'll be careful in future, thanks for raising it"

It works perfectly well. It's not the expectation that everyone avoids it, it's how people respond when it's raised. Some people wanted to really dig their heels in, rather than actually reflect on what was being said and have to say "yeah that's a fair point I'll be careful in future, thanks for raising it"
I agree with this. Ideally we’ll try not to cause others unnecessary distress, but at a forum policy level I don’t think we can or should put it on others to do the same for everything that triggers someone else.

2 fab posts. The word doesn’t worry me despite losing someone exceptionally close to me to the disease just 2 years ago. But if others find it different - we should be able to broaden our vocabulary to parasite

The upgrades to the toilets are in full swing.
May be a black-and-white image

This was actually what the toilets in the old North Bank looked like. I think one of them is still there.
At the risk of staying on topic, toilets in the South East corner are still like this but with a roof.

I prefer the al fresco version as it’s easier on the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back