• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Huddersfield Town

Town fan here, Thanks to all the support for our ride into Southend. I'm just glad we made it in time for the game !!
I thought your fans were very poor to start singing "we're sh.. and we're beating you" etc cos after that, your team seemed to shrink and we got better albeit with our 2 subs on.
Yes it was a penalty, and Butler's tackle was hard...but perfect. Hope your lad is ok.
The ref was a 'homer'...even stopping play in 1st half when our midfielder was running thru. He seemd to give you a lot of the 50/50's.
I think u were lucky in the end to hang on, but you also could have won it late on...how clear was that chance ?
Good game, you should have more faith in your players. We can only get better with all these new ones we have. Good luck.

Absolutely. Quote of the season.

Generally agree with a lot on here, thought Francis, Heath, Macca and Moussa were very good.

Also was fairly impressed with Walker actually but he really is goal shy and hasn't the confidence to shoot. White did a couple of very good pieces of defending but also showed himself up as well so the jury is still out. Grant I thought was excellent and I can't honestly say I saw him out on his feet as some did... but then again I probably wasn't looking.

Barnard had a good game too. I'm sure Tilly picked forwards to specifically cause problems for Clarkey and I wonder whether Laurent and Walker were the players he struggled most against in training?

I keep replaying that late chance in my mind and Freedman nods it in every time... what a great cross that was from Macca.

Last edited:
No Beefy, but he'd have made sure - remember that boot into the net from about this distance?!

Come on, i'd have ****ing smashed that chance home!!

**** me, even Stevie Winder is cussing Moussa and Freedman after that!!!

The problem was that Freedman and Moussa got in each others way. If only one of them had have been there I'm sure it would've been a goal. :'(

Also, i know it was only 1 game, but i thought that Smithies in goal for hudders didnt looked too good, considering hes ment to be up there with the best in the league

Whenever he's played against us he's looked pretty dodgy actually. He seems a bit immune to catching the ball...

Town fan here, Thanks to all the support for our ride into Southend. I'm just glad we made it in time for the game !!
I thought your fans were very poor to start singing "we're sh.. and we're beating you" etc cos after that, your team seemed to shrink and we got better albeit with our 2 subs on.

Did that really happen? if so thats awfull on so many levels, what is wrong with some people. I guess their view is that you pay your money and do as you please, and singing this made them 'feel good' and they paid their money to 'feel good'. Maybe that is more important to them than seeing our team win- I don't know,

You made two substitutions which turned the game, we reacted with our substitutions too late. Hindsight is a a great thing, but this does seem to be a common theme

Haven't read through any of the comments on here, but his my say.

Saturday was a very encouraging display. After months and months of negativity on this board, a winding up petition, lack of movement in the transfer window, the players went out there and put in a performance. I'm delighted my months and months of trying to be positive on here was rewarded with a top draw performance.

I actually think the sending off of their guy earnt us the point in the end. I think if they had finished with 11 men they would have won the game which would have been gutting.

We was the best team Saturday, and Huddersfield, once their players gel, will be up there come May so a point against them is a good result.

The biggest positive to come out of the game for me was James Walker's performance. A lot of people around me in the East Red thought Dougie should have come on for Laurent, but Walker displayed his potential to us all. I thought the fans where very good towards him, and I was praying he would score for us to get him up and running again. He was quick, strong, held the ball up well, linked the play well and did exactly what you want to see from your centre forward.

I've mentioned on another thread about the Col Ewe lads, but both looked solid on their debuts and on that performance, I'd be happy to take both on. Heath is exactly the type of player that should have come in instead of Clarke all those years ago. He won the majority of the balls in the air, did the basics well, knew when to pass and when to get rid. Disappointed by his booking, thought it was harsh. White, althought I'd prefer a left footed left back, looked promising. I thought that shot was going to rocket in, and I think the fans took to both of them well.

A very encouraging display from everyone I thought. Even the people that struggled, like Jeff and Macca, showed signs of their true quality as well.

Heath is exactly the type of player that should have come in instead of Clarke all those years ago. He won the majority of the balls in the air, did the basics well, knew when to pass and when to get rid. Disappointed by his booking, thought it was harsh.

Really? I thought it was somewhere between yellow and red!

Yes it was mistimed, but it was his first tackle of the game. Surely a talking to would have been OK given how early on in the game it was.

Absolutely. Quote of the season.

Generally agree with a lot on here, thought Francis, Heath, Macca and Moussa were very good.

Also was fairly impressed with Walker actually but he really is goal shy and hasn't the confidence to shoot. White did a couple of very good pieces of defending but also showed himself up as well so the jury is still out. Grant I thought was excellent and I can't honestly say I saw him out on his feet as some did... but then again I probably wasn't looking.

Barnard had a good game too. I'm sure Tilly picked forwards to specifically cause problems for Clarkey and I wonder whether Laurent and Walker were the players he struggled most against in training?

I keep replaying that late chance in my mind and Freedman nods it in every time... what a great cross that was from Macca.

Grant looked absolutely dead on his feet after about an hour. With us 2-0 up and seemingly coasting, I just didn't understand why Tilly didn't take him off (other than Betsy was the only option from the bench). It was Grant tiring that let Huddersfield back into the game because he was our key player in the first half.

I don't often criticise Tilly, but I felt that was a terrible decision.

It shouldn't need Freddy Eastwood to convert what appeared to be an open goal from three yards.
What actually happened there? Even though I had a decent view from the South Upper I couldn't work out if Moussa/Freedman simply sliced it or if one's shot was blocked by the other.

Beats me. From where I was sat it looked so straight forward that we were all celebrating. But it didn't go in some I'm hoping it was more tricky than it looked.

Back