• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Huddersfield Town

plenty of positives today, but the lack of a natural right winger cost us today, grant just sat in front of francis in the second half didnt even pull wide which limited our options on the ball big time, not grants fault he out of position

agree with most of the above, in general very positive considering how little time the team has had together - Up until they scored we looked in total control, after they scored it was a different story.

Barnard--- I dont quite see what everyone else does, he moans far too much for me and his challenges are often half hearted, late on at 2-2 he also choose to shoot from a tight angle when half the stadium could see we had men free in the middle.

Francis- some of his ball control today was amasing. If moose or Barney did it everyone would be going on about it- but because its francis and he looks like he is isn't trying it gets overlooked. Also how good was his goal line clearence-looked great , but I didn't have the best view

ps- talking to away fans on train home, they all said the ref was crap, but they all agreed it was apenalty.

Moose/Mcormack- three times in the first half Udders broke and we were totally outnumbered and neither bust a gut to get back-this could have been very costly and should not be overlooked.

Well I'd have definitely taken a point before the game but to throw three points away left me feeling very numb.

One or two posters seem to have gone overboard about Barney's performance. For me he was one of our worst players.Too greedy with the ball with much better options around him and nowhere near the danger area when we had players looking to cross the ball.

Plenty of plus points today not least of which were great performances from Macca and Moussa and Walker deserves a big mention. Didn't do anything spectacular but put himself about and didn't give the ball away. The two new defenders seemed ok to me. I'd like to see two or three games out of them before I pass judgement.

Two cheap goals given away reminded me of this time last season when we lacked a decent centre half pairing. I was down the other end of the pitch but I suspect Barrett was at fault judging by his first half performance.

Please, please Tilly can we not go through another season without practising taking throw ins !

Sat in the family stand today. Will probably be swapping my ticket back for V block. A match without a half time fag just won't do.

Today was a real rollercoaster. I wasn't happy when I saw the line-up as it hinted at a midfield diamond and we've always looked totally lost playing that way in the past, not to mention the fact that Huddersfield are strong and quick down the flanks and I feared we'd allow them too much space out wide.

However, I was very happy to be proved wrong. For most of the game I thought we were awesome. Despite our narrow midfield, the fluidity of passing and movement was a joy to watch and at times up there with the best I've seen in the Tilly era. In addition, we were winning the first and second balls and really rattling the opposition's midfield. Nevertheless, I had a feeling we'd need a third to totally kill the game and after they pulled one back we crawled into our shells like we did against Col U last season and I was actually relieved with a point in the end.

So I had very mixed emotions leaving the ground. I thought overall it was a terrific performance but the manner in which we surrendered our two-goal lead was worrying and I really thought we'd end up losing - I guess the sending off disrupted Huddersfield's rhythm somewhat.

The positives, then: Heath, despite some of the reports I read pre-season, looked very solid to me and won everything in the air; Francis actually remembered to defend and barely put a foot wrong; our midfield was superb - nice to see Macca looking more like the player we know he can be, while Grant and Moussa were both fantastic and we really need to tie them up on long-term deals asap; and up front Barney looked hungry, while Walker worked hard alongside him - a regular spot in the side should raise his confidence.

The negatives? Not too many, thankfully. Barrett shouldn't have played - he's had a disrupted pre-season and didn't look ready to return. Wasn't too impressed with White on first viewing either, though it's too early to judge and he's playing out of position. Obviously the last 20 minutes were a minus as well although I think Huddersfield will be up there at the end of the season. And if we can reproduce that performance on a regular basis we'll certainly do well ourselves.

First day and I am pleasantly suprised.

I feel it was two points dropped rather that one point gained today but based upon the fact it was Huddersfield who a lot of people seem to fancy to do well I can live with it.

As mentioned when I saw the side I felt we were going to lack creativity and I think to a degreee we did. However what we did have as a result was a fairly solid midfield and I felt that we restricted Huddersfield to not a lot of chances.

Moussa - my god how good was he. Think today was the first time I saw what a lot of people have been banging on about for a while.

Granty again I thought was superb. Second best player but a mile behind Moussa. Sadly he faided badly at the end but again thought he was excellent at times.

Heath and White again I liked. Thought both were a bit industrial at times but generally they were solid if unspectacular.

Walker finally again i thought looked very good at times. Cant see him scoring but some of his work and crossing for once was very good.

Overall fairly pleased but I really hope Tilly has someone with a bit of creativity in mind at some point soon.

McCormack 7 - Bossed the midfield, got his teeth into Kay and had a few decent long range efforts. A vintage Macca performance.

Got quite excited by that quote for a moment....and then realised! When you actually consider the investment made in that Huddersfield side and the quality of some of the players they've brought in, I think we did very well to come out with a draw, and were unlucky not to take the full 3 points. The ref cost us the 2nd goal with that ridiculous free kick when Walker and their guy happened to catch their feet as they were running away from each other - the ball was nowhere near them and it was a complete 50/50 total accident with Barney in a good position as well.

Mildy - 6, didn't have a lot to do but actually beaten 3 times
Franno - 8.5 MOTM, one of his best games for a long time, looked composed and confident, and made a goal line clearance
Heath - 7, coped superbly with that no 9, Theo someone, made him look cack, tired in the 2nd half particularly with the effective subbing (Tilly, please note)
Barrett - 7, did ok, but should he have played? I dread to think how his knee is today
White - 8, oh yes please, on that performance I'd take him on. Some lovely stuff, nice touches, very Mulgrewesque - and came round to the fans at the end
Grant - 7, started well, won the pen (was a heck of a dive even if it was a foul!) but faded big time 2nd half. Should have been subbed much earlier
Macca - 8, bossed the midfield completely and when you consider they had Pilkington and Kay in theirs. Good to see the confidence with the long range shots is still there despite the comments on here, made Moussa's goal and hit the bar with a header - classic Macca performance
Jeff - 7, I reckon he's got an injury after that tackle, did well enough breaking down the midfield play from Huddersfield
Moussa - 8, did pretty well gave Peltier (who I rate pretty highly) a torrid time, some good surging runs and took the goal very well
Laurent - 7, poor, poor Francis. I just don't get it though, he's played the whole of pre-season on the right wing, and very well, so why play him up front today? Feel so sorry for the guy cos he's looked brilliant in pre-season, that stretcher was on very quick and my immediate reaction was it was his ankle that he did last year.
Barney - 8, another that should have been subbed earlier, not that he had a bad game, quite the opposite he was playing Clarkey well but hit a stonewall, and ended up getting nothing at all out of Clarke or the ref, was getting wound up and tired.

Subs:
Walker for Laurent - 8, was very impressed. It's always games where he's a sub that he impresses me!
Dougie for Barney - 6, too little too late,
Betsy for Grant - 6, ditto

TBV - 10 out of 10 to Smiffy for his poor thumbs! Top effort - was also good to see the whole of our stands joining in with some choruses

Ref - 3, tool, that is all I can say.

Last edited:
Not sure what people saw in walkers performance yesterday. Thought he totally lacked any confidence and he seems heavy footed all the time. Would have loved to have seen revell come on in that sort of game.

Agree about Francis though kay, thought that was the best game I have seen from him, long may it continue. And I hope we can do a deal to keep the colu lads as I thought both were solid and whites versatiliy will be very useful.

Not sure what people saw in walkers performance yesterday. Thought he totally lacked any confidence and he seems heavy footed all the time. Would have loved to have seen revell come on in that sort of game.

Agree about Francis though kay, thought that was the best game I have seen from him, long may it continue. And I hope we can do a deal to keep the colu lads as I thought both were solid and whites versatiliy will be very useful.

You obviously missed his contribution to Moussa's goal, through his battling to get the ball back, he helped set up the goal. Also as a like for like replacement for Laurent Tilly got his sub spot om IMO.

Just seen the goals we conceded, again on TV. What shocking defending for both

What was it for?

Francis had obviously said something to their player who then threw the ball at him somewhat petulantly. Somehow the referee construed that as "violent conduct" and he certainly managed to whip out the red card in record breaking time.

Heath and White again I liked. Thought both were a bit industrial at times but generally they were solid if unspectacular.

its difficult to just switch style of play in a week or so, so i reckon they will need a couple of games to get the hoof out of their system! southend and colchester couldnt play much more different football if they tried, so it will take time for them to get used to.

that said, in the right circumstances there is nothing wrong with a clearance. perhaps if francis had have put it into row z they wouldnt have got their 2nd? goal.

yer fully agree about walker, you know when you have a dream and you kick a ball and it doenst go anywhere and you cant run however hard you try thats what he looked like, about 3 times he got down the right in the 28 yard box, and it needed a ball to be fired across the goal each time walker PASSED it across the goal it seemed like the ball was made of lead no zipp at all, but hey I really hope he does come good, I hope they all do

I thought Jimmy played quite well. As ever he made some poor choices with his passes, but so did most of our players (Moussa held onto the ball for far too long when we had real chances to break, for example). But his pace really worried Huddersfield and he seemed a lot more determined and confident than he has in the past.

It was a real shame what happened to Laurent, but hopefully Walker can get a run of games under his belt now.

Mildenhall - 7 - loved his reaction when Moussa scored! Good saves and couldn't do anything about the goals.

Francis - 6.5 - Not bad, but still defensively could be better, leaked a few crosses.
Heath - 7 - Did what he needed to do, good blocks/tackles/heading. Maybe a little slow and looked constantly tired, maybe thats how he always is though.
Barett - 7 - Same old commited performence and I have no problems with him back at centre back.
White - 6 - Good on the ball, recovered from a few of his own mistakes at times, but defensively I think we have a youth product who is is as good as this player.

Grant - 7 - Good first half, seemed like he had been playing on the right for ages, but kinda hid in the second half I thought, will need to provide more width, but he could be good for us on the right, especially away from home.
Mccormack - 8 - I thought he had a brilliant game, was everywhere, got in good positions going forward and was very unlucky not to score!
JFC - 7 - He did what he needed to do, let Mccormack get forward and defended well, fairly quiet at times, maybe he misses his french connection after 20 mins :p ?
Moussa - 8.5 - Good goal, good runs, just lacked a bit of concentration at times when on the ball, a few tame passes to opposition is the reason he doesn't get a 9.

Barnard - 7.5 - Tried hard, put his pen away ok, linked up well with Walker. His chasing down of defenders actualy won back more balls than you think, as they hoof it straight up the pitch usually back to us.
Laurent - 6.5 - Looked good and was a real shame to see him injured.

Walker - 7 - Good link up and did a good job.
Betsy and Freedman had little time to do anything.

Good performence from the lads, possibly should have had more goals!

Sorry Walker was poor. A striker is there to score goals and he had not one shot on goal. Runs around yes but 3 or 4 times he was in on goal but chose to pass. PLease Tilly sign a striker before the deadline. We wouldve buried Hudds out of sight had it not been for our poor strikers.
Overall was very pleased but thought Barrett and Heath didnt look too comfortable with each other and not imrpessed by White. Too one-footed. Why was our most imposing physical defender on the bench? I think we need to revert to end of last season with Barrett at left back and Mvoto partnering Heath.

Moussa outstanding but needs to put some decent balls in the box not hog the ball. Franno, Grant also excellent. Would still put Sawyer in for Macca who was ordinary. Thought Dougie was way off the pace too, again we need a striker and a right winger to come in.

You obviously missed his contribution to Moussa's goal, through his battling to get the ball back, he helped set up the goal. Also as a like for like replacement for Laurent Tilly got his sub spot om IMO.

Agree about the sub, it was obvious with Laurent starting upfront that Tilly had a gameplan in mind in that he wanted a 'tricky' forward up against the back line of Huddersfield, hence Revell and Freedman being overlooked.

Still cannot see what Freedman gives us on the pitch. Yea, he may be a great guy and helping the forwards along in training, but he is a waste on the pitch now. Revell would have been chasing all over to get the ball back in the final third and against 10 men it would have been ideal.

Still, I'm (trying to be) Mr Positive this season! :D

Moussa outstanding but needs to put some decent balls in the box not hog the ball. Franno, Grant also excellent. Would still put Sawyer in for Macca who was ordinary

How does that work then? You're outstanding but there's still a "but"? Grant was not excellent either, he ran out of steam far too early and Macca was far from "ordinary", he ran the midfield completely, and it was like the Macca of the old days out there, that many have been crying out to see.

The whole midfield was excellent , they all did their jobs , yes Granty got tired but he does a hell of a lot of covering.

Agree about the sub, it was obvious with Laurent starting upfront that Tilly had a gameplan in mind in that he wanted a 'tricky' forward up against the back line of Huddersfield, hence Revell and Freedman being overlooked.

Still cannot see what Freedman gives us on the pitch. Yea, he may be a great guy and helping the forwards along in training, but he is a waste on the pitch now. Revell would have been chasing all over to get the ball back in the final third and against 10 men it would have been ideal.

Still, I'm (trying to be) Mr Positive this season! :D

The exact thing i said during the week. We needed someone tricky/pacey up top to cause them problems. Freedman is far too lightweight, but i was impressed with Barny yesterday as he seemed a bit stronger and got stuck in

How does that work then? You're outstanding but there's still a "but"? Grant was not excellent either, he ran out of steam far too early and Macca was far from "ordinary", he ran the midfield completely, and it was like the Macca of the old days out there, that many have been crying out to see.

Thought Macca was really good yesterday and seemed more determined than ever. Think he knows he is playing for his place in the side.

Long term, Sawyer is the answer - I dont think there is much argument. Its who he replaces that is the question and with Macca not being disciplined enough (IMO) to be a holding midfielder, then either he will be shunted out to the right (which I wouldnt be totally against) or benched.

Back