• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Huddersfield Town

Like others, I was pleasantly surprised today. Had that sinking feeling as the 2nd half wore on and just new that Huddersfield were going to nick something, so I made sure of myself to remember the first 2/3rds of the game.

Thought we were bright and worked hard and considering how negative we set up (with a purpose, not having a dig), we created some really good chances.

I'm not Barnards biggest fan by any stretch, but I personally thought he was awesome today. Just so determined to win every ball, he held it up well (for a change) and worked as hard as I've ever seen him. Took the pen nice and really should have had another and should have got his head up a couple of times in good positions - but I think that was more to do with a lack in confidence in passing to Walker.

Thought Moussa was superb 1st half and was pleased with the back 4's showing all things considered. I was a bit miffed that M'Voto didnt start considering the size of him, but as the game wore on, it became clear Heath was the right choice due to his experience.

Overall, think Tilly picked the best side today. It was a side set out for a draw against a tough side (though I didnt think they were all that) and a draw we got. It probably is 2 points dropped, but at the end of the day after all we've been through this summer, it was far from the horror show many were braced for.

Promising start, with Sawyer and M'Voto to come...

Listening to second-half commentary via the telephone in Toulouse back to the computer at home. They said that he threw the ball at Francis.

Exactly what happened, though Francis raised his hands and pushed him after, so was lucky no action was taken.

Officials were absolutely dog-**** all the match though.

Listening to second-half commentary via the telephone in Toulouse back to the computer at home. They said that he threw the ball at Francis.

That's what we thought too. Looked like he was given a straight red. Not sure if it was the same player who had already got a yellow in the first half for swearing at the ref.

Pretty eventful start to the season - surprised no-one is up in arms about the tackle on Laurent - looked criminal from the opposite end - hopefully nothing broken. Heath also guilty of one over the top just before.

Grant covered masses of ground and JFC intercepted to set up Macca and Moose for the second goal so some very useful contributions from those two.

BUT, Mr Redknapp, if you are reading this, PLEASE can we have Dorian back! (Barrett beaten in the air today more times than I care to remember including the build up to the second Udders goal)

Last edited:
My view - Moose & Grant started as they finished off last season - was great to see. Grant tired a bit in the 2nd half, but Moose was brilliant til the end and finished superbly well.

White looked decent at LB.

Francis excellent

Macca played well, broke up play in attacking areas well - wish he would stop shooting from 30 yards though as percentage wise he wont get many from there.

Barney put in massive work rate and has an excellent first touch - took pen well.

Walker excellent - hope Laurent is OK, but he didn't hold the ball up at all for me.

Christophe poor today - can play so much better.

For my money though, the 2 CB's and keeper were at fault for both goals. They had a number of chances to clear the ball, but following the 2 striking subs from hudds the 2 CB's barely won a header, or headed with no distance on the clearance. Other than that they did well, but as a unit these 3 cost us 2 goals, so can't justify a mark above 5 or 6 for me. Hope tilly gives Mvoto a chance on Tuesday.

To be fair, the AR gave the penalty (the ref didn't look like he was going to) and the sending off was incredibly soft.

Didn't see what he did to upset Francis but thought Francis was lucky not to go with him for retaliating and shoving him in the chest. Who was it that crocked Laurent? He seemed to go straight through him and looked a certain for a straight red but someone said he didnt even get a yellow.

Exactly what happened, though Francis raised his hands and pushed him after, so was lucky no action was taken.

Officials were absolutely dog-**** all the match though.

That is what happened. Couldn't believe that Heath was booked early on for a potential leg breaker, and Laurent was subbed with a possible broken leg and the guy that did it with a filthy tackle wasnt even booked. I thought that was the kind of tackle they were trying to get rid of and no booking. Terrible. East Stand Lino was great though - he gave us everything he could all afternoon

Dunno, to be honest I thought the tackle was a pretty honest attempt from the south upper. It was a bit late and certainly hard, but I dont think there was much intent or malice. Was a yellow though which I believe the player didnt get.

Just a hard tackle and Laurent, having just spun his man, wasnt 100% steady on his legs. Hopefully he wont be out too long.

That is what happened. Couldn't believe that Heath was booked early on for a potential leg breaker, and Laurent was subbed with a possible broken leg and the guy that did it with a filthy tackle wasnt even booked. I thought that was the kind of tackle they were trying to get rid of and no booking. Terrible. East Stand Lino was great though - he gave us everything he could all afternoon

and that was the softest penalty I have ever seen

Didn't see what he did to upset Francis but thought Francis was lucky not to go with him for retaliating and shoving him in the chest. Who was it that crocked Laurent? He seemed to go straight through him and looked a certain for a straight red but someone said he didnt even get a yellow.

According to an Udders fan who I spoke to on the way out it was Butler - any relation to the half time legend anyone know ?

Like others, I was pleasantly surprised today. Had that sinking feeling as the 2nd half wore on and just new that Huddersfield were going to nick something, so I made sure of myself to remember the first 2/3rds of the game.

Thought we were bright and worked hard and considering how negative we set up (with a purpose, not having a dig), we created some really good chances.

I'm not Barnards biggest fan by any stretch, but I personally thought he was awesome today. Just so determined to win every ball, he held it up well (for a change) and worked as hard as I've ever seen him. Took the pen nice and really should have had another and should have got his head up a couple of times in good positions - but I think that was more to do with a lack in confidence in passing to Walker.

Thought Moussa was superb 1st half and was pleased with the back 4's showing all things considered. I was a bit miffed that M'Voto didnt start considering the size of him, but as the game wore on, it became clear Heath was the right choice due to his experience.

Overall, think Tilly picked the best side today. It was a side set out for a draw against a tough side (though I didnt think they were all that) and a draw we got. It probably is 2 points dropped, but at the end of the day after all we've been through this summer, it was far from the horror show many were braced for.

Promising start, with Sawyer and M'Voto to come...

Couldn't agree more! I have to admit, I was worried for us today after the lack of activity in the summer and would have been more than happy with a point before kick off, but wound up feeling frustrated at full time with exactly that!! On reflection, definately something for us to build on...

Last edited:
I thought the freekick given against Walker which led to one of the Huddersfield goals was a woeful decision

It was indeed a woeful decision, however it was down at the south stand end and they scored by the north bank, it cannot be an excuse.

Southend United vs Huddersfield Town

lineuphuddersfield.jpg

Thought for an hour we played really well and there were lots of positives all over the pitch as already highlighted.

Few things; 2nd half possession was poor, JFC for me is a weak link i think in a perfect world Sawyer would start with Macca/Grant probably Grant forced into the right mid role. The opposition cant score when we have the ball we must learn from this.

Why no M Voto starting at centre half? Barrett was off the pace and looked injured to me. He was slow and not as comanding as normal in the air. Heath looked ok but surely M Voto has to start from now on?

The Walker subsitition i thought was an interesting call from Tilson and one I could understand given what we know about the opposition. I just felt that with hindsight maybe Freedman should have been brought on as Barnard was playing excellently and already given the back four an aerial battle. It was just a shame francis laurent got injured at that stage of the game as i felt he had the beating of them all afternoon.

In summary 2 points dropped but i am not overly disapointed. I think if M Voto turns out to be anywhere near as strong as Dorian, we can get Sawyer in the Midfield as soon as possible and Barney stays fit we could have a decent start to the season.

Tuesday gives an ideal chance to tweak things and work out our best 11 for the league.

Back