• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Boston United

Comfortable without getting out of second gear , just wish we would put teams to the sword sometimes

Husin, Ralph and cards all contenders for MOTM and as stated in the other thread Moncur showed his class with some great touches and the way he receives the ball is always on the half turn to go forward

Will need to play better and with more purpose against the likes of Barnet and FGR
3 points it is and let’s keep up the momentum

Just to add I’ve never wanted a player to score as much as Waldron tonight , he tries hard and can see a player in there somewhere, think he will be an impact sub this season with Walker looking a better option

Last edited:
Hard to judge against a side arguably the worst I've seen in our time in the NL. Professional jobs all round.

Only complaint is Waldron had a GOLDEN chance to go out and stake a claim and we may have found out this isnt his level. Touch was poor, had no confidence he was going to score when 1 on 1 and just didnt do anything to excel in what was probably the easiest game we're going to get in terms of opposition and the space they gave us.

Colin: 6
GSM: 7
Taylor: 7
Kensdale: 7
Ralph: 7
Bridge: 7
Husin: 8
Miley: 7
Coker: 6
Waldron: 5
Cardwell: 7

Subs: Moncur: 7, rest on too late to rate.

Important not to get carried away, as Boston were awful. But a solid performance and a lot of confidence to be taken from it. Really need to sharpen up and take our chances better as it could, and should, have been more.

All in all, a good night’s work. Clean sheet, Cardwell off the mark, Gussy bang in form and minutes for Moncur who looks class. Lots of good stuff to build on.

Totally dominant performance and Boston never really got a look in but they did try to work hard. We should of had a few more goals but we did play some very good football at times, whether that was the weekness of the opposition time will tell.

I have unfortunately no confidence in Waldron, who although has pace offers very liitle else.

Still 3 games no losses, on to Barnet, which will be a real test.

We beat a side who need to change nine if they're to have any chance of survival.
That said, we're carrying a couple who will likewise struggle to stay in the team.
Thought Ralph and GSM were excellent; don't think Coker and Waldron are really title-winning material.
Running full tilt is one thing; controlling and influencing are others.
Walker for Waldron when fit, of course; Moncur for Coker, likewise when the former is up to speed.

Last edited:
Only complaint is Waldron had a GOLDEN chance to go out and stake a claim and we may have found out this isnt his level. Touch was poor, had no confidence he was going to score when 1 on 1 and just didnt do anything to excel in what was probably the easiest game we're going to get in terms of opposition and the space they gave us.
It will be interesting to see if he makes progress during the next couple of months. Lasts season many said give him time as he'd only been a part timer, & a decent pre season would do him the world of good??.

I like Waldron. Looked like a bloke short on a bit of match sharpness and confidence. Should’ve played Cardwell in after his hard work to carve out a chance, but don’t blame him for shooting when he obviously feels like he needs goals to stay in the side. If he can get his eye in soon I think he’ll be an asset.

It will be interesting to see if he makes progress during the next couple of months. Lasts season many said give him time as he'd only been a part timer, & a decent pre season would do him the world of good??.
He was injured for a large chunk of pre-season to be fair. He’s likely behind the others in terms of fitness so today would’ve been a huge positive for him getting that amount of competitive minutes under his belt.

Once again we should have created much more for me.

Yet again didn't work the keeper enough a constant weakness in this squad. As the game went on, I thought we were too relaxed and played it like a training game, because Boston were the poorest side I have ever seen at Roots Hall. But that is no excuse to come off the front foot well before we got the second goal.

Yes, it's a win, but we were too sloppy too often. Mis-hitting crosses, to hard, too soft, hitting the first defender. We made mistakes at the back, that we will pay for against the better teams in this division.

I looked at one instance, when Kensdale bought the ball out from the back, across the halfway line, and the ball was there to offload to the left. Ollie ignored that, ran into a dead end of three Boston players, turned and played the ball 30 yards backwards. So we gained F all, ended up defending again, when we should have been playing along the edge of their box. That's what I mean by sloppiness, not just mis placed passes.

A win's a win, but the manner of it against the standard of the opposition for me gives the overall performance no more than a 5/10.

Don't get me wrong, there were positives, Ollie and Gus worked so well down the right and linked really well. Cav picked up yet another early yellow, but controlled the deep midfield. Ralph and Bridge worked hard down the left. Cards and Waldron never stopped running and the opening goal was purely down to Cards not giving up and chasing a ball and making the defender make a mistake and playing the whistle or lack of it!

However, their keeper made one good save from cards, and two from Waldron. Especially the one in the first half, when Waldron did so well to turn the defence.

Still room for improvement, especially in the final third and we need more end product. We will have a more meaningful test on Saturday, where we must be better focused and deliver better balls into the box.

The carrot is we are up to 10th and if we can get a win, then we go above pre season favourites Barnet in their own back yard. What more of an incentive do we want?

Last edited:
Back