• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 3 Gillingham, Saturday 27 July, pre-season friendly

So essentially we still need that attacking creative midfielder. Its an opinion that every one on shrimperzone agrees with for a change....
There must be someone out there...
I have no doubt that it will be high on Kev's list as well, which is the most important bit. We also need another proven forward, but again, we all know that. Get those positions filled with half decent players and we will be a handful for any side in the National League.

So essentially we still need that attacking creative midfielder. Its an opinion that every one on shrimperzone agrees with for a change....
There must be someone out there...
The triallist who came on (Pedder?) looked decent, fearless and decent passing and link up play. He even crossed it and had a shot. Would need to see more but I’d certainly like to see him up against NL players.

Think a lot of the comments above are a tad harsh, for a pre season friendly against a full strength Gills team. Good to see Ralph back 2nd half. An extra game to get the players up to speed and a glorious day in the sun.

The triallist who came on (Pedder?) looked decent, fearless and decent passing and link up play. He even crossed it and had a shot. Would need to see more but I’d certainly like to see him up against NL players.

Think a lot of the comments above are a tad harsh, for a pre season friendly against a full strength Gills team. Good to see Ralph back 2nd half. An extra game to get the players up to speed and a glorious day in the sun.
Sounds promising. I know kev likes a small squad, but maybe its worth rolling the dice on two or three of the young uns and seeing if they come good.

Tough game today. Gillingham pressed high up early on and it was tough to get any time on the ball. I thought as the first half went on, we came into the game more and created some decent chances. Pedder looked decent when he came on and some decent minutes all-around. I think the squad still needs a couple of new faces, but still time for this to happen.

Morton and Coker both sub par today, as was Taylor in defence. Hopefully we sharpen up in the next couple of weeks as all 3 Gills goals involved individual errors from us.

We certainly had good spells and matched a higher division team for long periods. I thought both new signings Walker and Gubbins, did well, as did ‘trialist b’ Pedder when he came on. Certainly worth taking him to Ireland for a longer look.

Relatively good work out against a team in the division above.

They moved the ball better and generally had the better of it but not by much.

The ref gave a goal that hadn't crossed the line, much to the bemusement of the crowd.

I thought the defense were poor today and created pressure by dwelling on the ball and passing backwards.

Midfield was easily overrun and looks a little lightweight going forward.

Gillingham weren't anything special but easily got a win.

The trialitmst that looks like Connor Gallagher played well and looked promising.

The pitch looked poor and not ready for league football.

The clock in the south was working, better beer on tap and the new scoreboard will be much larger.

Can't go too deep on a pre season game.
I do think we saw most of the starting 11 today (new signings aside)
I think ralph will start ahead of Gubbins.
Walker looks like he could be a good signing, picked the pocket of the defender well.
Liked the trialist with the bun looked tidy on the ball and wanted to go on the front foot.

From the Echo website -

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher had praise for his trialists following Saturday’s pre-season friendly with Gillingham at Roots Hall.

Maher brought midfielder Rafferty Pedder and goalkeeper James Hillson off the bench during the second half of the 3-1 defeat at Roots Hall.

And Maher was pleased with how they both performed.

“Raff is someone who has been at QPR and he’s the type we’re looking for,” said Maher.

“It’s always difficult and as a trialist all you can do is use the minutes you get the best that you can.

“I’m pleased with both of them.”

Pedder has previously been with QPR and Tottenham Hotspur and made four appearances on loan for Oxford City last season.

Hillson has been on the books of both Reading and Arsenal and had a loan spell with Salisbury City during the 2018/19 season.

Ex Southampton defender Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo is also still on trial with the Shrimpers and played the final 11 minutes against Gillingham.

Back