• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 3 Gillingham, Saturday 27 July, pre-season friendly

Pedder looked very good when he came on. Very much a “trialist trying to impress” performance, but looked like what we were so desperately lacking for the previous 75 minutes.

Trialist goalkeeper had good feet, and made some solid saves in the warm up… not much to do for the rest. Lacked in height, but seemed like he could be an adequate backup.

I’m usually a fan of Morton but thought he really struggled today. Not the only one misplacing passes but unusually I’m not sure he found a blue shirt many times today.

I thought Scott-Morris and Walker were easily our best performers today. The back three looked shaky at times and we desperately need a midfielder who can make runs and link up with or go beyond the forwards and score a few goals. The trialist Pedder looked lively although a bit lightweight, will be worth giving him 90 minutes at Chelmsford next week.

Bit of an odd one today against what I believe was a pretty full strength Gills team according to the 2 Gills fans I was sitting next to in the Director's box.

We seemed a bit off the pace & pretty quiet.
Cards put himself about but service wasn't all that.
Walker took his goal well but other than that I wasn't overly convinced but it's early days & all I can hope is he's better than the Gills fans said as they had nothing good to say about him from his brief time there.
Midfield were all pretty anonymous to be honest & we lack a bit of pace I fear.
At the back we seemed pretty disjointed for a team who were defensively tight last year. Taylor looked like a man who'd not trained for a while & had a poor outing.
Gus got in a couple of great places in the 1st half but failed to hit the target.
The 1st goal was a mystery at the time but I see from the replay it came off the inside of the post after the guy missed sitter. Impossible to tell if went in before Coker? cleared it but they didn't really appeal for it.
Gills 2nd & 3rd goals were just sloppy & the 3rd was an "after you claude" moment from a cross played in that Collin then couldn't get to.

MoM for me was definitely Rafferty Pedder. In the 20 mins he was on he added some much needed pace & spark & forced the keeper into a decent save. We all felt he'd be worth another look. The other subs were mostly anonymous.

So all in all not much to cheer & we need to be massively better at the back but I guess it shows where we need to be to get into L2.

Great to meet @CllrDanielCowan as he arrived in the Captains Bar with Skippy & I look forward to buying him a drink in the near future. 😊

Great to be back in the new shiny era. Game was disappointing, thankfully just a friendly. Nothing in it until the ref gifted them a goal (I can only assume he deemed the ball to be over the line after it hit the post?). That not given the second would not have followed. We were all still complaining including Maher & co and we completely switched off and got caught on the break again.
Nice start to the second half and Josh Walker showed some much needed desire to win the ball back in their area snd expertly finished. Sadly Gills got the next goal from a cross curling into the far post which appeared to allude all and game over.

Andeng-Ndi 6.5
Taylor 4.5
Kensdale 6
Gubbins 5
Scott-Morriss 7
Coker 5
Miley 6
Morton 4.5
Bridge 5.5
Walker 7.5 MOTM
Cardwell 6

Ralph 6.5
Waldron 5.5
Wood 4
QPR Trialist 7
Arsenal GK Trialist 6
Saints Trialist 6

Overall we were unusually poor today in the back 3, midfield struggled to gain any control and up front we rarely threatened especially after Walker and Cardwell were substituted. Gills looked a league 2 mid table side, and we looked like a mid table NL side, plenty of work to do, liked the trialists especially Pedder, we need a lot more to be challenging in the upper part of the league. UTB

Last edited:
It's important not to read too much into friendlies as the intention is to try stuff out using different players in various positions. I liked the look of Josh Walker, he was an annoyance to the Gills defence for the duration of his time on the pitch, his tenacity also fashioned his goal. For the rest, on what I saw, my starting two up top would be Danny Waldron and Harry. Waldron now looks fully fit and ready to get into dangerous positions and be available for the killer pass. On the killer pass, I still await a player that fits the bill. Cav Miley had a bit of a mixed game, giving the ball away as many times as he won it, and Ollie Coker and James Morton were also not overly influential. There were also a couple of occasions where Kensdale had a brain fog attack when he dribbled out of defence and Mr Gubbins needs to bed in a bit more as well. I was quite impressed with the blond trialist with the top knot. He was tenacious in the tackle and looked for quick forward passes. I didn't reckon the little guy that came on as he was a bit light weight for me. All of my musings are probably a bit harsh and I'm sure that the two remaining friendlies will fine tune us a bit more, ready for York.

Oh, and I hate sitting in the East Stand, no disrespect to those that are regulars, but it is bloody uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Far Post had Amstel, Cruzcampo, Guinness, Inch's Cider, London Pride and John Smith's on tap, not sure if I missed off any others. Perhaps some more ales would be nice to be fair and i only drank two of each.
**** head. :LoyalSupporter: :Unsure:

Far Post had Amstel, Cruzcampo, Guinness, Inch's Cider, London Pride and John Smith's on tap, not sure if I missed off any others. Perhaps some more ales would be nice to be fair and i only drank two of each.
You had two of each?! That’s 12 pints

Back