• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Bonne was awful and did nothing, yet stays on the pitch for the whole 90 minutes, whilst Pepple, who scored twice last Saturday sits on the bench. Completely bizarre decision unless Pepple was injured.

Fresh legs in the form of Wood were needed much earlier on, Moncur was done from about the 65th minute. But Maher seems unwilling to bring Wood on for any more than 10 minutes.

I don’t understand why Maher was so reluctant to make such obvious substitutions when we were playing that badly.

Questionable substitutions aside, I’m not sure I entirely agree with the criticisms of Maher sticking to the system. The issue today wasn’t the system, it was the quality of our players.

I would have probably dropped one of the 4 midfielders that started for Pepple, Walker, or Wood. But otherwise, the issue was simply that Gateshead are a much better team than us. The only way I can see that changing is with a number of transfers, or a drastic improvement from our current players, not a change in formation.

Consortium don’t need to worry about the 8k capacity restriction as an immediate priority, don’t think we will be getting near that for the rest of the season.

If we carry on like this I think crowds will end up back down at the 5-5.5k mark. Which is a bit of a concern finance wise considering 4-4.5k of that is made up of season ticket holders who have already paid.

He may not have been great, but let's see how anyone would do completely isolated on their own
Bonne worked his nuts off up top punished by a ridiculous team selection. He won endless balls in the air with no one to feed off them until Walker came on. And of course he is working off scraps. If we have to throw players under the buss there are a few well ahead of Bonne.
Should have kept two up top and then we have the absolute mess at the back - listening to Paul Clark on the radio on the way home he was having kittens ….I assumed if we brought in a loanee it would be someone to play RCB. No we put him in the middle and pushed Crowther to RCB- he’s big and slow and was found out - twice. Much better in the middle where he can do a decent job imo- but the Bromley reserve got that birth (not his fault either - we failed to strengthen a key area beforehand and paid the appropriate penalty).
The defending of the corner was abysmal- Ralph sorely missed there.
Once we were back to 352 we were better but by that time we already had the damage done.
We play Sat Tues Sat Tues and haven’t the squad to rotate and maintain standard, and so players get jaded and inconsistent and so we still don’t…
In hindsight Wind or Gus should have gone RCB.
BTW Taylor and Ralph are miles ahead as the RCB and LCB because they are both capable of playing FB, have the pace and ability when pulled out wide.
That all said we still managed yo create chances. Gateshead were more clinical.
To add to the joy videos of the penalty suggest it wasn’t and Collin got the ball. Also being suggested their first was offside but at this point who cares.
It will get better.

Last edited:
I wasn’t there today so can’t comment on specifics but it does annoy me when I see someone like Foran come in at the last minute and clearly it was a terrible team performance, yet he’s described as “not up to it” and “out of his depth.” Maybe he’s human and found it tough being thrown in with players he didn’t know, who all had a stinker around him? He was at Arsenal for how long? Clearly he’s no mug, so maybe rather than writing a young player off instantly as not good enough, you go easy a little?

It’s absolutely no surprise we’re struggling for consistency at the minute, considering the number of players that are unavailable/aren’t fully fit/have left. That’s been epitomised by our last three results.

It also takes time for new players to settle, and we still need some more through the door.

At the moment we’re a team in transition; and until we have a settled squad with more depth, we’ll continue to struggle for consistency — both in terms of results and performances — and tactics from an analytical perspective are an afterthought.

We’ve also had an 18 player turnover since last season, and that’s without a pre-season to settle the squad.

Give it time.
Turnover.png

We've had the least turnover in the league this season (+1 for Forson).

Of the top 5 in turnover, 3 are in the top 7. One is 8th, only Braintree are lower than us. Every club has had turnover, if it's not working then we've either signed the wrong players or are not playing them the right way to get the best out of them and that falls on Maher.

I haven’t bothered reading through all the comments yet but as soon as the team was announced today I had the feeling the team selection was one of defence. It’s bizarre why we would start with two scores on the bench and run with Bonne who for me couldn’t hit a barn door from 2 feet. Again Colin put us under pressure with a few bluppers but if we lose our next home game serious questions have to be asked. I think there is plenty of talent in the team but right now we look more relegation candidates then promotion.

It wasn't good, that's for sure but Gateshead looked a far better side and their 19 and 10 were very useful down the left. Our left is Bridgey........and now, I'm afraid, that doesn't give us much. He's invariably facing two defenders and rarely tricks his way through any more. Crosses are rarely much better than mediocre, especially from corners. I prefer him roving in central midfield now. We gave them/they found too much space all over the pitch and once again we faced a team who had no concept of ****ing around at the back just going across the field before it goes back to the keeper. They played it around and then drove forward. KAF my MOTM but of course GSM remains G.O.D. I may be wrong but I think we had a shot.........so that is progress as we are NOT going to walk the ball into the back of the net whatever we think. Kev said we are team rebuilding and I think that's fair enough. But there are some who don't show the effort or courage to warrant being part of that rebuild. PS Unless Morton was injured, then I'm afraid it would have been Walker on for Bonne. Anyway...onwards. PPS I know there is a risk of knocking his confidence but I'm afraid Colin needs to be pulled aside and told to cut out the ****/indifferent balls out of the area or he will on the bench. Better one man demoralised than the other ten because of a careless error. COYB!

One tactic I can't get my head around is having all 11 players defending corners. This only invites the opposition to pile everyone forward giving them a pick of free headers. Leaving one forward (Appiah Forsun would be the sensible choice), keeps two defenders back to deal with the counter pace. I don't get why this is happening.....
Probably because it's part of the gospel according to St Pep. Haaland was very good at heading away corners in the Newcastle v Man City game today.

That was really, really poor across the park.

Some thoughts:

- Their first goal, we could get in that position 5 times and not score. That’s the difference in quality.

- Bim gives us energy, he must have done something wrong to have not made the pitch. Bonne was awful.

- The formation was never winning that game, they were far too street smart for it. Played over the top and down the side of us. We don’t play four at the back but felt like if we had we’d have faired better.

- Not seen Wind before and thought he looked athletic and liked the look of him. Will be adequate replacement for Gus. Don’t see why he wasn’t thrown on ahead of a 20 year old loanee. These decisions infuriate me and even more so the player I’m sure.

- Agree we are mid table fodder at the moment, but we have a club and I took my boy to see us lose 3-1 and it feels ****ing brilliant. Won’t last forever but for this season that’s all that matters for me. Don’t care if the moany brigade have a pop but that’s the fact, we have a club.

We really need a new keeper, hats off to Collin last year during tough times, but he puts us in trouble 2/3 times a game. He’s a solid back up but we need a proper Number 1 now.

Thought Bridge looked so off the pace, turning into a flat track bully in a way.

Bonne was so isolated. Think the criticism of him is a tad harsh seeing as the service he is getting is minimal at best.

We also massively missed Ralph but thought Gubbins did okay.

Could easily pick something for everyone but these were what stood out for me.

Overal - Sh*t
Lots of differing views on the thread but this was closest to my view so far.

How much is being spent on Collin’s distribution each day?

Actually thought Foran did ok - made a couple of excellent covering tackles in the first half.

Thought Gubbins possibly had his best game and some really nice weighted passes.

Can only assume Pepple is carrying a knock as why not use him.

Can’t see why people think Bonnie didn’t try as I thought his work rate was high.

At the time everyone near me in the West was convinced first goal was well offside. Be interesting to see what replay shows.

As bad as that was today, and the criticism is definitely deserved, we have had 7 games in 21 days with a small squad, we now have a week to recover and sort a few of the problems out, I'd be worried of there isn't a bounce back next week and more energy

I for one wont criticise Maher who is struggling to put out a side that is competitive that has been ripped aside with injuries.However I don't understand why we didn't start with Pepple and Bonne up top.Just with Bonne in his own was a mistake.Why doesn't Wood get more game time when Bridge hardly ever get substituted.
...because when Wood does come on he rarely does anything worthwhile. His control is particularly poor - even at this level. Who agrees? Kev for starters or else he would play him.

As bad as that was today, and the criticism is definitely deserved, we have had 7 games in 21 days with a small squad, we now have a week to recover and sort a few of the problems out, I'd be worried of there isn't a bounce back next week and more energy

Most of the league played the same amount of games and survived… Only difference is we decided to take the last possible train to Preston, which meant to we played a midweek game which others had off.

No Cardwell, no Miley, no Kensdale, no Ralph, no Taylor. Bridge looking out of sorts without Wes as others have said. Husin to me just doesn’t look 100%. Moncur and Bonne while showing glimpses, don’t have the puff to press constantly or run the channels as they used to. GM was shoved off the ball too easily today but the poor bloke needs a rest. He also can’t seem to find the net sadly.

Collin is struggling but I’ll go easy as how many times has the back 4 changed. He did give me a few scares today. Need to see a replay of the pen. So far Crowther and Gubbins just don’t look solid or settled. The loanee was slung straight in, so a bit of unfair criticism maybe ..

No energy today, too many misplaced passes and only KAF seemed to want to show willing and drive forwards. Great assist for Gus. Pepple must’ve had a knock, there’s no way he doesn’t start or come on today if fully fit. Walker looks like he knows where the goal is but needs the service.

It isn’t the siege mentality of last season but this isn’t the same team. We need to find a spark from somewhere. Once we win a couple confidence may improve. Gateshead looked a decent side, with plenty of fresh legs brought on .. we just weren’t as good as them today. You got the feeling they had more gears if required …. they weren’t. We look tired and uninspired.

Did we not offer Wes a deal? I thought we did but he chose to move?
He was offered a deal but his agent was holding out for more, allegedly. He was seen as a good player for the current level but not someone that would hold down a starting XI position if we moved into League Two.

Back