• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Horrible day at the Hall, expected defeat with our defensive issues, hoping for our battling qualities to shine, but no. The way to play Gateshead is to attack with no fear as Dagenham obviously did to put 7 past them. What did we get, one up top, who is not even a willing worker running the channels in that role. It was so easy for Gateshead to play around us and gain an easy victory. We had it all to play for at half time after fortuitously going in level. Thanks to Gus doing what only he does in this increasingly one man team. Just as it looked like we were in the game a 3 man assault on Gus (which the ref blew for every other time, when 1 on 1, let alone 3). Gateshead broke, we froze like statues, and Collin unluckily gave away a pen after clearly getting his hand on the ball first. You knew then it was over, Collin does not save pens and you could not expect Gus to perform another miracle. So Gateshead predictably get a third (just like Sutton) and we huff and puff far too pedestrian like onto another home defeat.

Andeng-Ndi 4.5
Crowther 5
Foran 4.5
Gubbins 5.5
GSM 6.5 MOTM
KAF 6
Husin 5.5
Morton 5
Moncur 5.5
Bridge 6
Bonne 5.5

Walker 6
Wind 5
Wood 4.5

Gus man of the match, did not take much yesterday for that accolade, but clearly too good now for this level. The rest, KAF works hard and has energy. Bridge twisted inside out to try and make space to cross, felt sorry for Bonne clearly too isolated. Pepple must have run over KM’s cat to not even get on, let alone start (is he not 100%?}. The defence as shaky as expected with Collin getting less assured each week. Sense of relief Maidenhead at home next week, a guaranteed 3 points every season, we badly need a home win. It is probably the time for them to break that streak? UTB

Or…understand that the back three at the start of the season was Taylor, Kensdale and Ralph and is now Crowther, Foran and Gubbins. Quite a contrast in experience don’t you agree?
Completey agree. And these aren't players who can play out from the back, so the system has to be changed to suit them.

Not good enough once again,how many games is maher going to get before we don't even have a playoff chance? Why on earth do u put Tuesdays goal scorer on the bench and the only other recognised striker to? We should not be loosing to little tin pot sides with no support like gateshead at home,we are the biggest club in the league and they should be fearing us not the other round.Tuesdays performance was bad enough and maher keeps going on about a depleted squad but it's not that depleted and the players we have got are more then capable of getting results.He maybe a club legend and we will always be grateful to kevin but we are southend united and we should be doing much much better.Cav miley,danny waldron,ralph and taylor are ok players but they are not world beaters and i'm really not sure having them available guarantees us wins,Bonne has been absolutely useless and don't look like scoring at anytime,Moncur is decent but couldn't finish a lunch.Colin should be dropped for the other keeper,maher seems clueless and full of excuses.If we don't pick up results soon then it's time for a change,he can't keep using the problems in the past as an excuse.I also think cosu must take some of the blame and they seem a little clueless when it comes to the recruitment side of the club.We all love them for saving the club but maybe they need some help and john still.
I don’t think you can criticise Bonne and defend John Still in the same sentence. If the recruitment is poor, as most people seem to think (including me) then John Still is to blame.

Sorry, maybe you misunderstood my question. I wanted to understand why moving a player who has scored 9 goals from that very position is a good move? A player who is not a midfielder being moved to midfield? Not sure the projection that he may score 30 goals and us still be relegated answers that to be honest.

Honestly, this forum is so defensive when you ask a sensible question…!
Because Gus is not as good a defender as he is going forward. His great run of nine goals shows where he prefers to be.

We could draw Barnet or we could draw a part-time team a couple of divisions below, significant difference there. It might reignite our season if we could get a soft home draw in this and then again in R1.
Or really set up spiralling if we lose to a team lower down the leagues.

I don’t think you can criticise Bonne and defend John Still in the same sentence. If the recruitment is poor, as most people seem to think (including me) then John Still is to blame.
Of course you can. Bonne is just one of many signings John Still has been involved in at Southend. If Bonne doesn't work out then it hardly means that all recruitment over the past three years has been poor, does it? That would be ridiculous. Then you'd be saying "well, Gus doesn't count as a good signing because John Still also recommended Bonne".

A new East Stand is years away yet.
To be currently sustainable I thought we were told crowds needed to be about 8k. I can't remember what was said.
We could try and be sustainable on much lower crowds....... but that would end up with us in the National League South at best.
I don't think 8k is anywhere near enough to become sustainable just from increased crowds. For example assuming that's an extra 1500 people for 20 games at £20 per ticket, that's an extra £600k per year revenue. Need to take off vat and additional expenses from that. If we're losing £1.7m then it's good chunk but not enough.

Of course you can. Bonne is just one of many signings John Still has been involved in at Southend. If Bonne doesn't work out then it hardly means that all recruitment over the past three years has been poor, does it? That would be ridiculous. Then you'd be saying "well, Gus doesn't count as a good signing because John Still also recommended Bonne".
This^ Recruitment in team sports isn't an exact science, some will work and some won't as it is as much about the players they are playing with, coaching and tactics deployed that enables getting the best out of players as it is about the players ability and attitude. Unless there is a clear and constant issue, such as every single player being brought in being ****e then it could be the fault of the player, team, manager, coaches, the recruitment bringing in the wrong player or 100 other issues.

Basically what I'm saying is you could bring in prime Messi but if you don't play to his strengths or play him when he is unfit with no support, he'll do nothing for 10 games and you could say he's **** too and recruitment failed

Then the results are on him. We've been found out by lowly Sutton, Flyde and a Gateshead team that had 7 smashed past them with the defense we have. Stick to a rigid system, then accept the results.
Oh trust me I'd love too see a back 4 but we all know he won't change his system

Oh trust me I'd love too see a back 4 but we all know he won't change his system
The most enduringly successful managers never stop learning and adapt their methods in a pragmatic fashion. If something isn't going right because of unforeseen or unavoidable personnel changes you have to deal with that. Just to double down on your usual modus operandi inevitably recalls Einstein's famous dictum.

GSM is this season's Jack Bridge. We've found one player who opposition teams haven't worked out yet and he looks like a world beater as a result.

The most enduringly successful managers never stop learning and adapt their methods in a pragmatic fashion. If something isn't going right because of unforeseen or unavoidable personnel changes you have to deal with that. Just to double down on your usual modus operandi inevitably recalls Einstein's famous dictum.
Yeah he still won't play a back for. Id put money on it. He was so desperate not to play a back 4 he got a lad in from Bromley on and emergency loan!!

We currently play a back three. Why do you want four defenders? One of the main criticisms is that we’re not attacking enough

Probably because it allows two out an out wingers. We don't have any out and out wingers at this club, save maybe young Faulkner.

Bridge is far too slow and he and GSM are both wing backs.

When was the last time we had blistering pace down either channel?

This team is slow, methodical and very easy to play against.

Back