• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

Cricko

Zone Owner ⭐⭐🦐
Staff member
IMO York played the much better football and we decided to let them dictate the second half completely. For the first 45 we were ok then it all went to pot. Maybe it was the heat but that is the same for both sides. Happy in the end to have finished with a point.

IMO York played the much better football and we decided to let them dictate the second half completely. For the first 45 we were ok then it all went to pot. Maybe it was the heat but that is the same for both sides. Happy in the end to have finished with a point.
Always feels like 2 points dropped when winning with only 5 mins to go but agree, on balance it’s a fair result. York played all the football second half and it seemed inevitable

Well that was ****.

Second best all over the park, we looked lethargic and devoid of any spark. Felt like a continuation of last season and pre-season where we struggle to score a second goal.

Bridge playing in the middle was totally ineffective & cost us our width and creation today. Joe Gubbins will want to forget that game.

Fair play York. Deserved a point minimum, and probably the better team tbh. Fancied them to be up there this season & on that showing it’s easy to see them doing well.

Good to be back at the Hall, but those kind of performances will not get us out of this league. Major work needed

We look rubbish in the 2nd half, playing like we are running with lead boot 🥾. Taking Gubbin off left us vulnerable, what I have seen, we are short of 3 more players, an attacking midfielder, a striker and 1 more LWB (Sayer from Lowestoft).

Col Ewes was 2-0 up and lost 4-2 😂

Agree they look fitter than us but our midfield 3 are too much the same and sit back allowing them to have the ball. Desperately need forward thinking midfielders (x2) with pace who can drive the team forward and break the lines. At the moment it’s too one dimensional.

Secondly, the quality of their subs were far better than ours which shows where we are lacking.

For me we need 4 players still, 2 in midfield that different to what we have and with pace. Another forward with serious pace and goal threat and an another Gk.

York had really good variety moving forward, sharp, and like for like decent subs. I know kev favours a small squad, but york showed how to use a decent sized squad effectively

I found it hard at times to work out just how we were trying to play. Deja vu from last season with our midfield all being defensive minded and the wes bridge thing isnt even there anymore.

Not any positives for me tbh, but no panic button yet, far too early and im sure the 3 amigos learnt a lot from that.

Saw the lineup - shuddered - pleasantly surprised we didn't lose , so ill take that.

Bridge will be back to left wing back soon enough as he can't be shoehorned into an attacking midfield role. We desperately need two non crabs in centre mid

Thought york were the better side definitely second half, seemed to cause us the same problem over and over a ball over the top in the gap behind the wing backs. York will be up there I reckon this year the players they brought on were decent. 5 subs could be a good thing if you get a decent set of subs! Ashley Nathaniel George looked a totally different player to the one that was down here. Think we'll be happy with a point. Collin definitely more worked out of the two keepers!

Watched the game on National League TV, and, although the commentary was every bit as bad as I anticipated, I was otherwise pleasantly surprised by the quality of the coverage.

The game itself was not a bad spectacle either, and, had i been a neutral, I would have been pleased with what I saw which reflected well on the standard on the National League.

However, being a Southend supporter and not neutral I was not pleased with what I saw. I thought we played well during a ten minute period before we scored but after that it was all York. They looked much the better side, and, dare I say it, fitter. Our midfield offered little offensively and missed some tackles and too often gave the ball away often in dangerous areas. Unless there is drastic improvement in that area it could be a long and frustrating season.

I suppose we can only get better but being emphatically outplayed at home by a team not regarded as a powerhouse should be giving the management team something to think about.

Back