• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very good statement, which cleverly leaves Ron Martin with nowhere to hide. He can't deny that he's received a bid.

It seems the consortium believe that RM should cough up money to reverse the neglect that he's inflicted upon Roots Hall in his pursuit of a new stadium which he cannot and will not deliver. Not only has he failed to provide new facilities and mothballed the existing ones, but he will be able to earn more money by replacing the new stadium with additional housing at Fossetts. So why shouldn't he cough up?

Cleverly worded statement which is essentially publicly urging RM to do the right thing.

A very good statement, which cleverly leaves Ron Martin with nowhere to hide. He can't deny that he's received a bid.

It seems the consortium believe that RM should cough up money to reverse the neglect that he's inflicted upon Roots Hall in his pursuit of a new stadium which he cannot and will not deliver. Not only has he failed to provide new facilities and mothballed the existing ones, but he will be able to earn more money by replacing the new stadium with additional housing at Fossetts. So why shouldn't he cough up?

Cleverly worded statement which is essentially publicly urging RM to do the right thing.

It would appear that the ball is still in Ron Martins court. Therefore although this statement is helpful, the main obstacle remains Martin. Is he going to sell, pay the debts himself, avoid penalties by the Courts or NL? Does anyone know how, in the mind of this Chairman, these issues will be sorted?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Reactions: TJC
"We believe this would release Mr. Martin to develop Fossetts Farm without a new stadium requirement, and as a result, are looking to him to contribute funds back towards the redevelopment of Roots Hall."

Presumably this works as a trade-off as Justin Rees' consortium will be paying the current debts incurred by SUFC aka Ron Martin? I can't see RM agreeing to that.

Last edited:
Interesting that FF stadium is viewed as not viable
Yeah that stood out for me too. One day I think we’ll know a bit more about this I’m sure, but being unviable must be either:

• A financial thing (their funding and Ron’s timing not coinciding);
  • A ‘lack-of-desire-to-work-with-Ron’ at all going forwards;
  • Ron wants a hundred squillion pounds for it; or
  • Ron will only agree to build it himself and then sell it (and they’ve looked at the plans and think it’s overpriced pony).
I doubt it’s a technical or environmental issue given the planning processes already completed.

He also can't march into court on the 4th spouting the usual bollocks.

Really pleased Justin has come out with his statement.

I would expect that the reasons for Ron not accepting have something to do with the contribution of Fossetts funds to redevelop Roots Hall. Not in the know, but sounds like it could be a sticking point for Ron.

Further, do we really to be reliant on money coming from RM in the future in order to make RH sustainable?
Was just about to say the same thing.

Feels like Mr. Rat is hugely against the club staying at RH. From what I've gleaned from SZ, FF without a stadium would mean going back to the drawing board planning-wise, and I doubt he has the stomach for that. It took him 20 years to get FF this far (which still isn't anywhere, really), and he isn't getting any younger.

However, the fact that local government types are backing JR's consortium does suggest FF without the stadium isn't a non-starter. Hoping against hope that RM sees sense before it's too late.

Yeah that stood out for me too. One day I think we’ll know a bit more about this I’m sure, but being unviable must be either:

• A financial thing (their funding and Ron’s timing not coinciding);
  • A ‘lack-of-desire-to-work-with-Ron’ at all going forwards;
  • Ron wants a hundred squillion pounds for it; or
  • Ron will only agree to build it himself and then sell it (and they’ve looked at the plans and think it’s overpriced pony).
I doubt it’s a technical or environmental issue given the planning processes already completed.
I gather the access has not been thought through and is an absolute nightmare. Kimura were very worried about this and were concerned that five years down the line they'd have to pay out for a new access road/roundabout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back