• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we aren't sustainable by staying at Roots Hall. The ground is beyond help. It pains us to admit it because we love it so much. However, there is no escaping it. Our main stand is made of wood and is an accident waiting to happen. The rest is held together with asbestos. The place should be condemned. It's a sobering thought but unfortunately true.

The idea that we can rotate the ground is plausible if money is no object. The problem is, no one is going to invest in such a thing, it will cost millions. The geographic placement of Roots Hall makes such changes so expensive. The excavation in the carpark would cost a tidy sum alone.
One man said that the only way we could thrive was by getting additional revenue streams by building FF.
That dream came and went with Hotel chains and commercial premises dying partly due to internet shopping, and high streets are collapsing.

Roots Hall can be whatever you want it to be with re-development

My source has been spot on throughout.
Also look at the evidence, no deal done.
Trust/firth asking government for special funding, this doesn't exactly smack of successful takeover imminent.
Ron literally doesn't care.
He'd take the winding up.
He was only too happy to take 10 points off.
I'd urge all those boycotting to get to the hall this month. Say goodbye.
I wouldn't say this really smacks of anything either way. The Trust will never stop looking for ways to fund an "in" for fans in terms of club governance, regardless of whether a 3rd party takeover is imminent or not, unless specifically asked to stop. The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
You can always find a new site to build on.

Or rotate Roots hall and develop the corners.

Or just run a sustainable club instead without the need to actually move at all!

Forget fossetts and move on. That is one man’s dream and it’s ruining the club. Take that element away and run the club as a business whereby you budget properly for everything thing and don’t lose money. Now I appreciate I have simplified the running of the club here but get the priorities right first.

Don’t invest in football for a return or you’ll always be disappointed. Break even no matter what you develop out for extra cash flow and be happy it isn’t costing you £1m a year to run.

Whilst, on paper, everyone would agree with that and is the obvious thing, that very rarely works in football. Football is almost a law onto its self.

How many football clubs produced a profit, even of 1p, in the last 5 years in the top five divisions of English football?

Now, let’s say we go down the route of budgeting property, spending only what we make, and so on. We are 2nd at Christmas, 3 points behind the leaders. They splash the cash in January (forgetting the no transfer window in the NL for a minute). They spend money on a striker, a winger and a goalkeeper (or whatever positions), whereby we “blew our beans” in the summer. Our main centre forward is out for the next couple of months, all of us on SZ agree (will never happen) we need a striker. The football department identifies the guy who top of the table signed. He would come to us for sensible wages, and a nominal transfer fee, but we have no budget. We tail off without this striker, and the leaders win the divisional comfortably and we land in the play offs, and fail.

We would all be saying we should have signed X, Y & Z. Top of the tables striker made the difference, he comes out and says he would have signed for us. We’d be blaming the board for “not showing ambition” and so forth.

That’s why football is different. It’s a massive balancing act. Living within our means, whilst trying to show ambition, keeping fans happy, whilst keeping accountants happy.

What we need to do, whether FF or somewhere else or remain at Roots Hall is to maximise our revenue streams. As has been said before, we need to make money 365 days a year, not 23.

One man said that the only way we could thrive was by getting additional revenue streams by building FF.
That dream came and went with Hotel chains and commercial premises dying partly due to internet shopping, and high streets are collapsing.

Roots Hall can be whatever you want it to be with re-development
As long as there is someone waiting in the shadows with millions of pounds to spend on redevelopment with no wish to make an immediate profit, that can indeed happen. That individual remains unseen to this point though.

But we aren't sustainable by staying at Roots Hall. The ground is beyond help. It pains us to admit it because we love it so much. However, there is no escaping it. Our main stand is made of wood and is an accident waiting to happen. The rest is held together with asbestos. The place should be condemned. It's a sobering thought but unfortunately true.

The idea that we can rotate the ground is plausible if money is no object. The problem is, no one is going to invest in such a thing, it will cost millions. The geographic placement of Roots Hall makes such changes so expensive. The excavation in the carpark would cost a tidy sum alone.

I don’t disagree. More plausible is moving to a better site than fossetts.

I don’t think one can disagree on the cost of roots hall in its current state, which is probably why nobody has met Ron’s outrageous valuation. But what’s new there.

Whilst, on paper, everyone would agree with that and is the obvious thing, that very rarely works in football. Football is almost a law onto its self.

How many football clubs produced a profit, even of 1p, in the last 5 years in the top five divisions of English football?

Now, let’s say we go down the route of budgeting property, spending only what we make, and so on. We are 2nd at Christmas, 3 points behind the leaders. They splash the cash in January (forgetting the no transfer window in the NL for a minute). They spend money on a striker, a winger and a goalkeeper (or whatever positions), whereby we “blew our beans” in the summer. Our main centre forward is out for the next couple of months, all of us on SZ agree (will never happen) we need a striker. The football department identifies the guy who top of the table signed. He would come to us for sensible wages, and a nominal transfer fee, but we have no budget. We tail off without this striker, and the leaders win the divisional comfortably and we land in the play offs, and fail.

We would all be saying we should have signed X, Y & Z. Top of the tables striker made the difference, he comes out and says he would have signed for us. We’d be blaming the board for “not showing ambition” and so forth.

That’s why football is different. It’s a massive balancing act. Living within our means, whilst trying to show ambition, keeping fans happy, whilst keeping accountants happy.

What we need to do, whether FF or somewhere else or remain at Roots Hall is to maximise our revenue streams. As has been said before, we need to make money 365 days a year, not 23.
That’s just fans. Too many fans are totally delusional, which is why fan ownership doesn’t work.

One can’t be expecting profit as an investor but nor should a club live outside of its means. It’s totally crazy. Many clubs break even. Many make a profit. If they are run properly. Too many people are too quick to rubbish the idea but fans need to wise up. And to have the club on a sound footing where wages are paid every week, we aren’t in court every month and can strengthen if needed should be enough.

Take a look at Accrington. If they can make it work on their minimal revenue why can’t we?!!

We shouldn't assume that a buyer would be looking to make a profit. Loosing money on buying a football club is the norm. Plenty of clubs are funded by rich individuals.

Rich people buy football clubs for the same reason they buy super yachts. Rich people are no different from you and me, they just have more expensive hobbies.

That’s just fans. Too many fans are totally delusional, which is why fan ownership doesn’t work.

One can’t be expecting profit as an investor but nor should a club live outside of its means. It’s totally crazy. Many clubs break even. Many make a profit. If they are run properly. Too many people are too quick to rubbish the idea but fans need to wise up. And to have the club on a sound footing where wages are paid every week, we aren’t in court every month and can strengthen if needed should be enough.

Take a look at Accrington. If they can make it work on their minimal revenue why can’t we?!!

I’m definitely not in favour of a fan ownership model. SZ is a percentage of our fan base, and there are some on here who would do a fantastic job, and do fantastic jobs with the Trust, Junior Blues and so on, but there are so many more on here that you wouldn’t want having a say.

You say many clubs break even, many clubs make a profit, but can you provide them. You’ll get the odd one where a Club will make a profit one year through a good transfer fee, a cup run and so on, but on a standard year.

I 100% agree about the wages should be paid, shouldn’t be in court and so forth, but those and making a profit don’t always go hand in hand.

Depends what you mean by make it work. Look at Charlton. For years a top 10 Premier League Club under Curbishley. Really well ran. They then decided that wasn’t enough, they should be in Europe, and things didn’t pan out for them and look at them now.

I agree that Clubs SHOULD live within their means, so should any business, so should people too, but how many actually do.

Football is a corrupt, cesspit of a business, full of hangers on, snakes, sharks and charlatans. Football seems to play by different rules. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The ones that suffer are US, the FANS, but a lot of the time it’s us that demand we sign him, we bring in an extra body, we break the bank. We are part of the wider problem in football.

I can't believe he 'literally doesn't care'. If he takes us into liquidation, he would get driven out of town and forever be known as the chairman who took us under. I think that would hurt him on his narcissistic, 'I'm the saviour of the club' level. On one of the zoom calls he said 'Save our Southend? I thought that's what I've been doing for the past 20 years'.

For this reason, I think he will concede on his terms at the last minute to get the deal done.

I may well be wrong and you may be right, but my gut feeling is w

I'm not sure that's true. They don't have any right to divert monies due to us to one of our creditors.

It's much more likely that the cash hit our bank account and then immediately was used by us to pay some of

You talk ****! Constant giving Martin praise aren't you, fans like you are 1 of the reasons why Southend are where they are today.

Incredibly uncalled for.

I don’t know @fbm at all, never spoken to him, but he is one of the posters post I enjoy. His posts are always balanced, and not to the extreme like some posters.

The constant sniping and digging at other posters needs to stop.

I’m definitely not in favour of a fan ownership model. SZ is a percentage of our fan base, and there are some on here who would do a fantastic job, and do fantastic jobs with the Trust, Junior Blues and so on, but there are so many more on here that you wouldn’t want having a say.

You say many clubs break even, many clubs make a profit, but can you provide them. You’ll get the odd one where a Club will make a profit one year through a good transfer fee, a cup run and so on, but on a standard year.

I 100% agree about the wages should be paid, shouldn’t be in court and so forth, but those and making a profit don’t always go hand in hand.

Depends what you mean by make it work. Look at Charlton. For years a top 10 Premier League Club under Curbishley. Really well ran. They then decided that wasn’t enough, they should be in Europe, and things didn’t pan out for them and look at them now.

I agree that Clubs SHOULD live within their means, so should any business, so should people too, but how many actually do.

Football is a corrupt, cesspit of a business, full of hangers on, snakes, sharks and charlatans. Football seems to play by different rules. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The ones that suffer are US, the FANS, but a lot of the time it’s us that demand we sign him, we bring in an extra body, we break the bank. We are part of the wider problem in football.
I think we could wax lyrical on it all night. It would make for a great chat.

Charlton’s current owner (not sure who that actually is after the last debacle) doesn’t own the ground. Look at the mess that has left them in. Same as Oldham.

Accrington Stanley
Exeter
AFC Wimbledon
Sheffield united
Tottenham
Huddersfield
Stoke

Are a few. Would need to do a deep dive. I guess it mainly comes down to ego and whether and owner can see past that desire to instead maintain a sustainable club.

I wouldn't say this really smacks of anything either way. The Trust will never stop looking for ways to fund an "in" for fans in terms of club governance, regardless of whether a 3rd party takeover imminent or not, unless specifically asked to stop. The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Agree 100%

The key here is that Ron isn't paying the wages... the club is. Ron has just stopped putting money into the club (apparently) so now the club has to survive on its own income, TV money, gate receipts, merchandise, etc.
Not quite. Money is going to debt repayment (eg the £80k tv income).

I think we could wax lyrical on it all night. It would make for a great chat.

Charlton’s current owner (not sure who that actually is after the last debacle) doesn’t own the ground. Look at the mess that has left them in. Same as Oldham.

Accrington Stanley
Exeter
AFC Wimbledon
Sheffield united
Tottenham
Huddersfield
Stoke

Are a few. Would need to do a deep dive. I guess it mainly comes down to ego and whether and owner can see past that desire to instead maintain a sustainable club.

I agree.

I think part of the problem is the money the Premier League brings in, and is ring fenced up there.

Although us fans might say otherwise, all football clubs want to be there for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Which is why clubs routinely go above their means to get to the “promised land”. Like us spending our last £5 of the month on a 100/1 acca on a Saturday as that will sort us right out, but it rarely comes off.

Reactions: jnl
It’s been mentioned previously that the deal doesn’t necessarily have to go through before the court case.

I was told that JR won’t allow the club to die, and if it should come down to it, he will stump us the cash to ensure we survive.

Hopefully, he stays true to his word.
I'm sure he is a great guy and hopefully stays true to his word but it is a big ask when dealing with the Rat to make such a commitment - we would be foolish to pin all our hopes on someone from the other side of the world who we hadn't even heard of a couple of weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back