• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure you are correct with this. I think most clubs in our league are happy to have us there due to the big attendances we often take to away games. If I remember correctly didnt the Dorking owner say they rely on clubs like us?
I agree. I watched the NL highlights from the weekend and I was staggered by how empty some of the stadiums were. Solihull were top at the time I think and it was a ghost town. They weren't the only team either. They must thrive on the away support from us, Chesterfield, Oldham and the like. It must be essential to their coffers.

In fact, I think the only clubs that would have a problem with us are the bigger clubs I just mentioned because we are a threat to their promotion hopes and they don't want us to have perceived 'preferential' treatment.

I am not sure you are correct with this. I think most clubs in our league are happy to have us there due to the big attendances we often take to away games. If I remember correctly didnt the Dorking owner say they rely on clubs like us?
A case of 'don't you know who we are?' And 'you wouldn't dare'? If the clubs well run, unlike ours, they'll adjust. There will always be someone to fill our gap

I get what you're saying but it doesn't make any sense to start the season and start paying wages etc if he's just going to let it die! Just my opinion, if you can make sense of it all you're a better man than me!

I get what you are saying but the Rat is a law unto himself.

I really hope you are right and the club is sold but just can't see it
The key here is that Ron isn't paying the wages... the club is. Ron has just stopped putting money into the club (apparently) so now the club has to survive on its own income, TV money, gate receipts, merchandise, etc.

Once they obtain it, who then funds the club day to day?

It costs so much to run.
Whoever buys the club will have a friendly lease from the council with an obligation to purchase. ie do as a Joint Venture with the council similar to what has happened at Bury, but do it pre liquidation! It is a very simple model that would not be that difficult to arrange subject to the council being willing and able to do it. Though they would also be able to borrow at still very friendly rates given you have a future guaranteed exit.

If the council would play ball it is simple. Though i am sure hundreds will try and rubbish it as an idea.

I think you may be referring to Kingsley Napley, solicitors, who were chasing Ron personally for their fees in connection with his being prosecuted for fraud, a charge eventually dropped if I remember correctly.

Seeing as the case was dropped surely Ron would have been awarded costs. Maybe he pocketed them and didn't pay the solicitors?

Whoever buys the club will have a friendly lease from the council with an obligation to purchase. ie do as a Joint Venture with the council similar to what has happened at Bury, but do it pre liquidation! It is a very simple model that would not be that difficult to arrange subject to the council being willing and able to do it. Though they would also be able to borrow at still very friendly rates given you have a future guaranteed exit.

If the council would play ball it is simple. Though i am sure hundreds will try and rubbish it as an idea.
But surely the only attraction for any prospective buyer at present is the opportunity to go to FF.

Buying Roots Hall and the club only offers no return for that buyer. I can't see how there is anyone out there that just wants to purchase that with no return.

Nice idea but with what? councils are declaring bankrupcy. Not sure they would have the funds to do that without a significant and quick return for that investment.
I think your right Southend council have know spare cash to throw around they are doing all they can to save money

I'm not sure that's true. They don't have any right to divert monies due to us to one of our creditors.

It's much more likely that the cash hit our bank account and then immediately was used by us to pay some of the HMRC bill.
The NL can in certain circumstances divert monies from central funds but that normally is where the club is in liquidation and funds are diverted to football creditors. I believe there is also provision for a club to ask for central funds to be sent elsewhere but I am pr sure that comes at a cost
Not 100% sure on that one at all. I spoke to a while ago to an ex chair of a fellow NL club and he acknowledged the away following but wondered how the league was affording SUFC such latitude and went as far to say any other club would have been subjected to far more sanctions.

But surely the only attraction for any prospective buyer at present is the opportunity to go to FF.

Buying Roots Hall and the club only offers no return for that buyer. I can't see how there is anyone out there that just wants to purchase that with no return.
If we vacate RH then the site has potential to generate many millions of profit. All an owner of RH needs to do, as far as I'm aware, is provide us with a stadium that is at least as good, and as big as RH.

I think something affordable (a 10,000 capacity Lego stadium or Scunthorpe model probably) could be built with a bit of help from the council with them finding us a plot of land and helping the planning go through, and any new stadium that has decent health and safety would surely be considered as good as, or better than RH in its current state.

You can always find a new site to build on.

Or rotate Roots hall and develop the corners.

Or just run a sustainable club instead without the need to actually move at all!

Forget fossetts and move on. That is one man’s dream and it’s ruining the club. Take that element away and run the club as a business whereby you budget properly for everything thing and don’t lose money. Now I appreciate I have simplified the running of the club here but get the priorities right first.

Don’t invest in football for a return or you’ll always be disappointed. Break even no matter what you develop out for extra cash flow and be happy it isn’t costing you £1m a year to run.

You can always find a new site to build on.

Or rotate Roots hall and develop the corners.

Or just run a sustainable club instead without the need to actually move at all!

Forget fossetts and move on. That is one man’s dream and it’s ruining the club. Take that element away and run the club as a business whereby you budget properly for everything thing and don’t lose money. Now I appreciate I have simplified the running of the club here but get the priorities right first.

Don’t invest in football for a return or you’ll always be disappointed. Break even no matter what you develop out for extra cash flow and be happy it isn’t costing you £1m a year to run.
But we aren't sustainable by staying at Roots Hall. The ground is beyond help. It pains us to admit it because we love it so much. However, there is no escaping it. Our main stand is made of wood and is an accident waiting to happen. The rest is held together with asbestos. The place should be condemned. It's a sobering thought but unfortunately true.

The idea that we can rotate the ground is plausible if money is no object. The problem is, no one is going to invest in such a thing, it will cost millions. The geographic placement of Roots Hall makes such changes so expensive. The excavation in the carpark would cost a tidy sum alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back