• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!", as the old maxim goes. More on our level than Michael Knighton and Manchester United, ask York City fans about John Batchelor 21 years ago. He bought York City with great plans to bring glory to the club and helped it not one iota. Look him up on Wikipedia: John Batchelor (racing). In truth, he had no significant "real" money of his own to invest in the club and I know that for certain because he was married to one of my wife's cousins and left her with 4 kids and a pile of debts when he died. I hope that our Australian is not another wrong'un like John Batchelor or (God forbid!) Anton Johnson. Those words are banned is so very, very important before welcoming a new Messiah because he might just be "a very naughty boy".
Yes, that's always a worry....'be careful what you wish for!' However, there is a slight feeling of reassurance here, if ever this take over comes to pass. IIUC, the 'Australian chap' is the leader of a consortium. In this group behind him we will quite probably find some names known to us, as people who actually care for the club.

Yes, that's always a worry....'be careful what you wish for!' However, there is a slight feeling of reassurance here, if ever this take over comes to pass. IIUC, the 'Australian chap' is the leader of a consortium. In this group behind him we will quite probably find some names known to us, as people who actually care for the club.
I hope you're right. John Batchelor also had a group of "associates" who promised to finance his plans for the future of York City if he bought it but they failed to honour those promises. With him as the sole registered owner it was easy for the "associates" to renege on word-of-mouth promises. For greater safeguarding of SUFC, if our Australian is the leader or figurehead of a consortium, the ownership of the club ought to be be legally transferred to the consortium as a whole and Those words are banned applied to all of the consortium members but I don't know if that is possible under football club ownership rules.

I hope you're right. John Batchelor also had a group of "associates" who promised to finance his plans for the future of York City if he bought it but they failed to honour those promises. With him as the sole registered owner it was easy for the "associates" to renege on word-of-mouth promises. For greater safeguarding of SUFC, if our Australian is the leader or figurehead of a consortium, the ownership of the club ought to be be legally transferred to the consortium as a whole and Those words are banned applied to all of the consortium members but I don't know if that is possible under football club ownership rules.

I think we know that Laurie pinto and the Kimura boys are also involved somehow.

The Aussie isn't the only person involved but if Ron is happy to deal with him and not the others, it makes sense to let him do the face to face stuff.

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!", as the old maxim goes. More on our level than Michael Knighton and Manchester United, ask York City fans about John Batchelor 21 years ago. He bought York City with great plans to bring glory to the club and helped it not one iota. Look him up on Wikipedia: John Batchelor (racing). In truth, he had no significant "real" money of his own to invest in the club and I know that for certain because he was married to one of my wife's cousins and left her with 4 kids and a pile of debts when he died. I hope that our Australian is not another wrong'un like John Batchelor or (God forbid!) Anton Johnson. Those words are banned is so very, very important before welcoming a new Messiah because he might just be "a very naughty boy".
There are quite a few like the guys you highlighted. John Holmes who owns Chelmsford City FC is another Ron Martin type. An Essex businessman, set up Great Leighs racecourse which went bust, he left a trail of debts amounting to many millions. He was at one time made bankrupt but owned a bit of the land which is now Chelmsford City racecourse (formerly Great Leighs) and restarted the racecourse in partnership with Betfred. He took over Chelmsford City Football Club six years ago, promised a new stadium, entry into the EFL within ten years and other promises. Nothing has happened of course, the club still struggles financially and he is never seen at the clubs games. Another dodgy property developer similar to Martin, Essex bandits.

There are quite a few like the guys you highlighted. John Holmes who owns Chelmsford City FC is another Ron Martin type. An Essex businessman, set up Great Leighs racecourse which went bust, he left a trail of debts amounting to many millions. He was at one time made bankrupt but owned a bit of the land which is now Chelmsford City racecourse (formerly Great Leighs) and restarted the racecourse in partnership with Betfred. He took over Chelmsford City Football Club six years ago, promised a new stadium, entry into the EFL within ten years and other promises. Nothing has happened of course, the club still struggles financially and he is never seen at the clubs games. Another dodgy property developer similar to Martin, Essex bandits.
Chelmsford have history for this . in 1972 Brentwood town was bought by a property developer who had links with Chelmsford, he merged the two (Brentwood were in the Southern league Prem at the time , one league below div 4) and promptly built houses on the ground , it was a decent stadium iirc.

Occupation property developer should be an immediate fail on the fit and proper test
You've hit the nail on the head there. The most valuable asset in terms of making a potential profit in the short to medium term for would-be buyers is the land related to our club, which is why Mr Martin wants to hang on to Roots Hall, Boots & Laces, Fossets etc or to get big bucks if any of that land is included in the sale of the club. At present, the club itself is a money pit that only a very rich philanthropist would be mad enough to buy on its own without any of the real estate.

Last edited:
You've hit the nail on the head there. The most valuable asset in terms of making a potential profit in the short to medium term for would-be investors is the land related to our club, which is why Mr Martin wants to hang on to Roots Hall, Boots & Laces, Fossets etc or to get big bucks if any of that land is included in the sale of the club. At present, the club itself is a money pit that only a very rich philanthropist would be mad enough to buy on its own without any of the real estate.
Exactly..and that's probably why it's taking so long to sell. Ron won't give up the profit making areas without a fight. In the meantime, he's happy to gamble with the future of our club. My worry is that rich philanthropists are very difficult to find.

Any news on who or how the boys and staffs wages are getting sorted out this month?
Probably best to just check the National League table on Friday to see whether we have -1 points or -11 points. That will tell us all we need to know :Facepalm:

I'd like to think Ronnie boy won't play chicken with the NL yet again and will stump up the required funds (Which as owner is the very least he should be doing by the way) for the payroll to be satisfied in full. But, I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back