• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of very large developments have happened in the UK on green belt and with not even the hint of a football stadium. If SCC and Gov/SoS want to let FF happen without a football stadium it will happen. Ultimately it’s a political decision.
A difficult political decision though, and the connection to investment in RH gives them a very helpful justification.

A number of very large developments have happened in the UK on green belt and with not even the hint of a football stadium. If SCC and Gov/SoS want to let FF happen without a football stadium it will happen. Ultimately it’s a political decision.
Of course large developments have been granted planning on green belt but we are talking about FF a site where planning was very hard fought over and the whole theme within the submission by SCC planning to the planning committee was this was a special case because of the need for a new stadium and the fact that no other site could be identified and RH was in effect beyond repair.

You simply get around the fact that FF is on Green Belt. If it were a case of an authority in effect just bypassing National Planning Regulations then it would happen everywhere.

At this point in time I would say it would have been close to 100% certain that planning wouldn’t have passed without 1) The stadium being built on FF and 2) Huge numbers of Council Management homes to be built on the RH site.

Councillors may well want to build just houses on FF but no stadium al most certainly would mean rejection
All Ron would need to do is agree to swap out the Stadium for a few shops, a little play area, and a school, or perhaps a much needed leisure facility or similar, and he'll get his planning permission. Things like this would cost a fraction of the stadium complex he has PP for, even if he does build them.

Yes.

He no longer has the cash drain of the football club.

RH is still under the control of his family and has significant development value.

He and his family also retain FF and will no doubt explore all opportunities to develop the land.

Therefore a win, win, win situation for him.

That too is my take and it troubles me because if this were exclusively a money making scheme ( which it’s hard to think it’s not ) why give away anything?

A difficult political decision though, and the connection to investment in RH gives them a very helpful justification.
As things stand the planning assumption over the two sites is that SCC will get 1350 + homes for social housing 502 of those were due to be based on RH. I cant immediately remember the numbers but RM would be due to get the funds from a significant number my guess is that the greater value per unit would be from those built on RH

It seems to be elsewhere. Especially if this is part of the quiet talks with SCC councillors and the 2 MPs.
Have you ever had meeting with councillors or MPs ? I have and whilst I suppose the majority are well meaning they are advised not to go outside their area of control and at this point in time local councillors will be looking to the planning officials for guidance and those same officials will be looking at national policy particularly around S106 and things like education plans .
Things like children’s play areas are already scheduled to be supplied .yes leisure facilities are always welcome but I suspect that the build of such facilities wouldn’t be the issue it would be about who would be responsible for the upkeep and more important the running costs

There are two major housing developments where I live in Lincolnshire where the construction of a new primary school, medical centre and recreational facilities were included in the planning consents. In one case the building of houses is pretty much finished but no sign of the other facilities in revised plans for the rest of the development. In the other, more than 150 houses, a convenience store and a big care home have already been built and sold and foundations sunk for as many more houses but no sign of the new school, medical centre or recreational facilities. Unless there is a clause in the planning consent for FF that says the stadium must be built before the houses, Ron could build and sell all the houses and then claim lack of cash or need for the stadium. The City Council is not going to order the built and sold houses to be demolished in that scenario. Ron then puts in a revised planning application for houses on the land earmarked for the stadium which, in those circumstances, is likely to be approved. Property developers use this kind of stunt all over the country.
You are right, this is a common scam by property developers. The usual one is that they promise that a number of homes will be affordable then when near completion say that this is now not viable. The councils usually do nothing as they can't or won't pay to sue these greedy people. Another dodgy practice is to get planning permission then do nothing and just watch the value of the land increase, easy money made. The plot opposite the Kursaal is a prime example. These people, Martin included are usually greedy people who are not bothered about the benefits or otherwise to the local community, it's their own profits first.

You are right, this is a common scam by property developers. The usual one is that they promise that a number of homes will be affordable then when near completion say that this is now not viable. The councils usually do nothing as they can't or won't pay to sue these greedy people. Another dodgy practice is to get planning permission then do nothing and just watch the value of the land increase, easy money made. The plot opposite the Kursaal is a prime example. These people, Martin included are usually greedy people who are not bothered about the benefits or otherwise to the local community, it's their own profits first.
There's something about the property industry that seems to attract more than their fair share of questionable characters.

They are seriously in Pheonix club territory. Hard to see how they come through this. I mean our demise has been spectacular but poor old Scunny are in an even worse position. How they ever let that bloke near their club is truly shocking.

How many of us actually know who Justin Rees is? We (supporters) haven't even seen a photo of him in the UK or heard his voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back