• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Revell versus Harrold

Harrold or Revell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Revell I guess. I think I've seen enough of him to say hes not very good. He had the shots yes but how many hit the target or looked close to going in?

That's not really the point. Matt Harrold wouldn't get on the end of things and wouldn't take shots when he found himself in space outside the box. Revell has shown in the time that he's been here that he can and will get on the end of things in the box and he's got the confidence to try his luck from range.

The main criticism of Harrold was that he wasn't a goal threat. His workrate was undeniable and his build-up play and approach-work were fine but those good points were undermined in the eyes of many by the fact that Harrold wouldn't (not couldn't) put himself into positions to score himself. Revell has the same pluses as a player as Harrold (although is physically stronger) combined with the confidence to get himself into goalscoring positions. He hasn't scored for us yet but his track record speaks for itself. Whilst he's not prolific by any means he knows where the back of the net is.

His style of play may not be pleasing on the eye, but he's a targetman and there aren't many targetmen who are fan favourites, especially not ones who have played for Southend United.

Of course the worrying thing is that when Matt Harrold first arrived, he did get on the end of things and actually scored us some important goals at the end of matches when he was being used as an impact sub. That side of his game completely disappeared as his confidence was destroyed by being turned into a terrace hate-figure. Hopefully Revell is mentally tougher because I think he's going to have to put up with a lot of stick.

If we get to the Final it must be Barnard and Harrold. Walker will be gone, Hooper isnt the answer and Revell has done nothing since he has been here. Harrold will draw their biggest defender, he will get fouled a lot and he will win his fair share of the ball = goals for Barnard.

The other option will be Kanu but I have seen him play 90 minutes and have absolutely no impact on the game which is worrying. He did ok on Saturday but did anyone else notice when he got the ball in a position where he could run at defenders, he seemed to run away from the penaly area and head toward the corner.

Revell without a doubt. He looks more confident and willing to put himself in postions to score even if he hasn't yet. We haven't seen much of him yet give him time to settle and get fully fit, we'll see more of him next year.

Funny how Revell was well thought of at Brighton and he is already been lined up as the next Harrold by the boo boys.

Whats that say about us as supporters?

Didnt think he had a great game Saturday but won plenty of headers and whilst Id like to see him play far better its early days and he offers something different to Barnard and Walker.

PS Tilly, stop playing him out wide its pointless....

Have only seen Revell briefly against Carlisle, but as I said elsewhere, thought he held the ball up well, got away his passes fine - can't remember if he had a shot or not, but it was a late substitution...

Liked the look of him, and think he'll come good with time

And you can be a good goalkeeper and let a lot of goals in im confused

All i am saying is that some people are a bit simplistic when they evaluate a player i.e You have to score goals to be a good striker,. Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious IMHO and i think that Revell brings a lot to the team

All i am saying is that some people are a bit simplistic when they evaluate a player i.e You have to score goals to be a good striker,. Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious IMHO and i think that Revell brings a lot to the team
And all im saying is i cant name you one good striker that was remembered for not scoring many goals at any level,simple really

And all im saying is i cant name you one good striker that was remembered for not scoring many goals at any level,simple really

Spot on Swiss. And I vote for Harrold, he makes me laugh. They're both sh!t though.

Harrold has been here for a near 2 years now and has hardly set the team alight. Revell hasn't had a great start to his southend career (though was injured for a long time we must not forget) but he will be better than Harrold I'm sure of that. Remember the standing ovation he got when we played Brighton? Ask yourselves this, Would we do the same for Harrold. I think not

revell. but i want to see him fully fit with a pre-season under his belt. same with barney, he needs time off to rest and then a proper pre-season to strength him or we may find he will continually pick up small injuries.

Back