• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Revell versus Harrold

Harrold or Revell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Revell seemed to be wearing jagged boots yesterday, as every time he went to bring the ball down with his feet, the ball pinged off in a random direction!! :rolleyes:

Our fans don't appreciate the role of the targetman. Rory Fallon is better than both Matt Harrold and Alex Revell but had he signed for us he'd have been the new terrace hate figure within weeks.

Leave the guy alone, it's early days yet.

In fairness, I don't think anyone in this thread is having a go at him. (Unless you of course see being compared to Matt Harrold as a criticism). I certainly don't.

His record suggest Revell will score more goals than Matt Harrold and that will be the answer to the debate in the long term. However, in my opinion, in the two games he's played he hasn't been a significant improvement. Everything that Revell has rightly been praised for are carbon copies of the pro-Harrold arguments of a few weeks ago.

Is Matt still injured or just not in the 1st team picture now?

Wasn't on the subs bench so was wondering if we'll see him again much now with all these new strikers.

Though Revell had a good debut last week at Borient, he was fairly quiet in the first half yesterday but I felt he played well in the 2nd half dispite running out of steam towards the end he kept working hard and helping to defend from the front.

Looking like a good purchase so far to me.

Difficult to say at this stage after only a few games but .. Harrold seems more adept at holding the ball up and better distribution, and yet Revell seems more capable of heading for a man of his height, and looks like being able to get on the end of crosses.. Revell will get more goals, but probably less likely to contribute overall to others

But we will see..

Think he will get goals given time. In fairness our crossing all season has been awful, Gower couldnt get it past the first man all game yesterday. Harrold has failed to produce over 40 games, Revell is still getting to know his teammates and our style of football.

Difficult to say at this stage after only a few games but .. Harrold seems more adept at holding the ball up and better distribution, and yet Revell seems more capable of heading for a man of his height, and looks like being able to get on the end of crosses.. Revell will get more goals, but probably less likely to contribute overall to others

But we will see..

He can hardly get less I suppose - got to give the lad time but what is the point of buying any player if he is not better than what you already have?

Good luck to young Alex however before I am accused by certain people here of negativity. I really hope he does the business for Southend and that Matty also comes back soon and gets a few goals before the end of the season.

The difference may be that Harold had a powder puff shot. If he achieved any power, could not hit the target, even for the penalty spot [facts].

Revell is stronger, mixes it with the defenders and takes pressure away from others. Harold could not win an argument against any central defenders.

Revell may in time develop. Harold had his chances and failed miserably.

I recall Bill Garner. He was useless in many peoples eyes for his first year at Roots Hall but flourised into an accomplished centre forward and terrorised opponents.

How can anyone judge anyone after a few games.

Revell: He works and combines well with Barnard, and if I were a betting man, I would stake a large sum of money upon this partnership developing into the best two man strike force we have had for quite some years.

Revell may in time develop. Harold had his chances and failed miserably.

I recall Bill Garner. He was useless in many peoples eyes for his first year at Roots Hall but flourised into an accomplished centre forward and terrorised opponents.

How can anyone judge anyone after a few games.

By your own admission Garner became a good player after one bad season, and yet you've said Harrold has "failed miserably" after slightly under that. :rolleyes:

I thought that Revell was actually a downgrade from Harrold's later performances. I don't think he played the target-man role as well as Harrold can, but as many have pointed out, he gets into the box slightly more often, and that might shade it for him.

Of course had Harrold played like Revell did yesterday, he would have been berated. I can picture it now: "He can't even score against ten men - ****ing useless".

Not sure about that...Matty effectively didn't lose a header in the last few games he played, and he also seems more adept with the ball at his feet. Harrold's passing ability is grossly underplayed on this board, and as much as I am willing Alex to do well, I honestly can't quantify these statements that he offers more than Harrold from what I have seen thus far.

Absolutely agree. I guess it comes down to whether or not you're seen as a panick. We signed Harrold at the last minute, and people saw it as a just that, and haven't given him a chance.

Personally I thought Revell was rather anonymous yesterday. At least with Harrold you know he's around because he puts himself about. That said, Revel needs to be given time to settle, and i'm sure in time he'll be as good as Harrold.

Absolutely agree. I guess it comes down to whether or not you're seen as a panick. We signed Harrold at the last minute, and people saw it as a just that, and haven't given him a chance.

Personally I thought Revell was rather anonymous yesterday. At least with Harrold you know he's around because he puts himself about. That said, Revel needs to be given time to settle, and i'm sure in time he'll be as good as Harrold.

Excuse me while I splutter in my cereal! As good as Harrold? You aren't serious are you?! Yeovil were pleased to see the back of him, whether he was a panic buy or not. Brighton weren't at all pleased to see the back of Revell. That suggests quite definitely that one is a better player than the other.

Revell "put himself about" every bit as much on Saturday as Harrold does and he had the added bonus of actually laying the ball off on more occasions, something Harrold isn't very good at. I know Harrold runs around a lot but if you think he does more than Revell did maybe it's because you notice him more with his hair so he stands out? I don't know, but I really don't agree with what you're saying.

Excuse me while I splutter in my cereal! As good as Harrold? You aren't serious are you?! Yeovil were pleased to see the back of him, whether he was a panic buy or not. Brighton weren't at all pleased to see the back of Revell. That suggests quite definitely that one is a better player than the other.

Revell "put himself about" every bit as much on Saturday as Harrold does and he had the added bonus of actually laying the ball off on more occasions, something Harrold isn't very good at. I know Harrold runs around a lot but if you think he does more than Revell did maybe it's because you notice him more with his hair so he stands out? I don't know, but I really don't agree with what you're saying.

I agree with you most of the time, OBL, but YOU had ME spluttering into my cereal with that one. Harrold's lay offs are often superb, which is why he has so many assists this season. Go back over the Virgin goal highlights and see how many times Harrold has chested, headed or flicked the ball on in the move.

I agree with you most of the time, OBL, but YOU had ME spluttering into my cereal with that one. Harrold's lay offs are often superb, which is why he has so many assists this season. Go back over the Virgin goal highlights and see how many times Harrold has chested, headed or flicked the ball on in the move.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I accept he's had some pretty good assists but IMO he really doesn't get successful lay offs on the majority of headers he wins.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree there. I accept he's had some pretty good assists but IMO he really doesn't get successful lay offs on the majority of headers he wins.

Fair point, it wasn't his headers that I had particularly in mind, though a couple of the goals on virgin do come from his headers - but he tries to bring the ball down under control a lot more than Revell, so he isn't trying flick ons from headers so much. I think that a lot of emotion is invested in Harrold now (from both points of view) but I would love to revisit videos of his matches in a few years time and assess his performances dispassionately - I feel that an independent assessor would be a lot less harsh on Matt than some are at the moment.

Fair point, it wasn't his headers that I had particularly in mind, though a couple of the goals on virgin do come from his headers - but he tries to bring the ball down under control a lot more than Revell, so he isn't trying flick ons from headers so much. I think that a lot of emotion is invested in Harrold now (from both points of view) but I would love to revisit videos of his matches in a few years time and assess his performances dispassionately - I feel that an independent assessor would be a lot less harsh on Matt than some are at the moment.

You're probably right. For me, it was the continued insistence in playing him as our main striker early on in the season that really turned me against him, and that was obviously not down to him but to Tilson yet my frustration is vented at him and not Tilly - strange! I so wanted Hooper and MacDonald up front that I might have got a little blinkered about Harrold, and then Clarke came in and things changed anyway. I've just found Harrold the most frustrating Southend player to watch of recent years and on early assessments, think that Revell is a much improved version.

He's a striker that hasn't scored in 52 competitive league games... I think that's a little more than what constitutes a fair chance.

I'm talking about the fans being on his back from the start. The statistic that he has now not scored in 52 games just proves how counter-productive booing your own players is.

Mind you, the statistic isn't true; he's scored a few.

Back