• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strange that after some really good performances and results we still have a potential doom and gloom attitude hanging over the Zone from some. Nothing will ever be perfect at our club, it never has been, and never will, but for the moment I'm just enjoying the good run of form. Phil Brown is very much Marmite when it comes to peoples' opinions, but if he keeps the current style of playing going and watching is enjoyable, that will do for me.

I've never liked Brown and doubt I ever will but as long as he remains lucky I'll be happy. I just wish he knew when to keep his gob shut.

Good post until the 'lucky' bit at the end. To counter that I think all our defeats this season have been 'unlucky'. :smile:

Just as a quick wondering how many defeats will it take for you to say, " see told you he hadn't turned it around ".

For example, if we go unbeaten for 7 games , when do you turn, defeat 1, 2 , 3 or will he be allowed to pass the 7 games previously unbeaten, would just like to know the balance in which he has to prove something ?

A pure simple thing for me, is that we are above the position & league from his first league game ! Yep, we have seen some poor runs and performances, but unless I never want to see SUFC lose to play poorly again, under any manager, I may have to readjust my expectations.

For the record, I don't think he can walk on water , I just think he has turned something around and yet to some, he isn't even afforded the credit for turning it.

Audi TTS it's a bit more than that, it's not just about results....people are very fickle, the state of the club, the debts we talk about, 15 plus million, who knows what will happen if they grow and grow....it can't go on.... a few wins are people just forget it.....action is needed, I don't have a solution. Brown, tarting him self and the stuff he says to the media, people forget that too... I'm not a Brown fan, a few wins don't change that, I'm really pleased with our results, and hope they continue.

Audi TTS it's a bit more than that, it's not just about results....people are very fickle, the state of the club, the debts we talk about, 15 plus million, who knows what will happen if they grow and grow....it can't go on.... a few wins are people just forget it.....action is needed, I don't have a solution. Brown, tarting him self and the stuff he says to the media, people forget that too... I'm not a Brown fan, a few wins don't change that, I'm really pleased with our results, and hope they continue.

Very original Ironingboard ... I'm impressed

I don't answer your response, as you've ventured on to other things that haven't really been bought up on this thread, but seeing as we are playing well and winning, suppose you need to get your misery from somewhere don't you ! You make it sound like I'm not concerned about the debt, FF etc, but as I said wrong thread ...

Anyway, what are you gibbering on about "Brown tarting himself ..." , what does this mean ? Is this the Bolton thing again, my god, how many times will this be bought up .... Suppose at the next defeat ....

Why is it, during the awful run, people that supported that PB may turn it around was called rose tinted wearing fools and yet during the winning run, we still aren't allowed to be happy and enjoy the current form.

& I hate to disagree, but on the pitch it's only about results !! If we played excellent every game and lost every game 3-4 the manager would be sacked, please don't be naive to think anything other than. Fans demand success , hence why PB's head was being called for ( and questions were rightly asked during the run ). But as I've said, PB and the team deserve credit when on a run, as some are very quick to turn on them/him after a couple of defeats. So my question, on this footballing thread remains the same, what run of results will get the BROWN OUT threads again , why have you avoided that ?

And not one mention of a "marquee" signing in the whole thread .......................... :tease:

I do agree with the comment above about how the team now looks like a good team ........... and a better team than when we were in the play-off positions last season when it just felt that we weren't quite as good as the position suggested.

Very original Ironingboard ... I'm impressed

I don't answer your response, as you've ventured on to other things that haven't really been bought up on this thread, but seeing as we are playing well and winning, suppose you need to get your misery from somewhere don't you ! You make it sound like I'm not concerned about the debt, FF etc, but as I said wrong thread ...

Anyway, what are you gibbering on about "Brown tarting himself ..." , what does this mean ? Is this the Bolton thing again, my god, how many times will this be bought up .... Suppose at the next defeat ....

Why is it, during the awful run, people that supported that PB may turn it around was called rose tinted wearing fools and yet during the winning run, we still aren't allowed to be happy and enjoy the current form.

& I hate to disagree, but on the pitch it's only about results !! If we played excellent every game and lost every game 3-4 the manager would be sacked, please don't be naive to think anything other than. Fans demand success , hence why PB's head was being called for ( and questions were rightly asked during the run ). But as I've said, PB and the team deserve credit when on a run, as some are very quick to turn on them/him after a couple of defeats. So my question, on this footballing thread remains the same, what run of results will get the BROWN OUT threads again , why have you avoided that ?

I did not start the Brown Out threads, and the poll.... but I did agree, I think it was 67% or something % I bet they have jumped ship, I'm not going to hide, I still feel the same, and I'm very pleased about us winning, our results with Ranger do worry me, we rely on him so much...we are nothing like the team without him, again, another decent striker is needed, funds and who will be shipped out I don't know.

I really hate threads like this ,,,,, always seem to be a bit smug and followed by an unexpected defeat to a poor team like Swindon...

I did not start the Brown Out threads, and the poll.... but I did agree, I think it was 67% or something % I bet they have jumped ship, I'm not going to hide, I still feel the same, and I'm very pleased about us winning, our results with Ranger do worry me, we rely on him so much...we are nothing like the team without him, again, another decent striker is needed, funds and who will be shipped out I don't know.

I never said that you started it. However I pretty much agree with the sentiments in yours above. Like you, we are reliant on Ranger , but too be fair on the flip side a lot of the PB supporters during the bad run did highlight that we needed to wait for Ranger to return. The other issue is that Ranger has now set the bar higher , which is both good and bad, however , just say he did stay fit , his addition should be lauded. Fortune is for me a good sub, his ability to impact for a short period is impresssive , but he isn't a 90 minute full game replacement / alternative .

I was not one of the 67%, I like continuity and i had belief that he would turn it around. I've been impressed with his additions , especially Ferdinand .., however we can't also ignore the better players that Wordsworth and McLaughlin have been this season. Also , i know you aren't a supporter , but Cox alongside Ranger is a very impressive top 2.

I suppose the answer for what we want comes from our expectations , mine is always safety i.e. Stability in this league , however if we can hit a run , with no injuries ( like Leicester) maybe we can dream for more ...

I didn't vote for Brown to be sacked- but I certainly wasn't happy with our performances. Saturday we were brillant and long may it continue BUT like others I am concerned that we are too dependant on Ranger. We are just outide of the playoffs, but so are a lot of teams plus Millwall and Charlton have a game in hand - so although its great to get excited and dream the dream (if not what the point in supporting a lower league team?) I nwouldn't get too excited just yet.

Football is all about belief and confidence , we have that in spades at the moment, - but we also have everyone fit so potentially this is 'as good as it gets'. If it is 'as good as it gets' thats fine by me as Saturday was one of the most enjoyable experiences at Roots Hall in a long time--- Being positive then maybe if everyone stays fit we can continue to improve then who knows what is possible? Being negative (realistic?) we have hugely important players who did not complete a pre season and are unlikely to last the season , so we should not be surprised if we fade away again much like last season- just saying

I didn't vote for Brown to be sacked- but I certainly wasn't happy with our performances. Saturday we were brillant and long may it continue BUT like others I am concerned that we are too dependant on Ranger. We are just outide of the playoffs, but so are a lot of teams plus Millwall and Charlton have a game in hand - so although its great to get excited and dream the dream (if not what the point in supporting a lower league team?) I nwouldn't get too excited just yet.

Football is all about belief and confidence , we have that in spades at the moment, - but we also have everyone fit so potentially this is 'as good as it gets'. If it is 'as good as it gets' thats fine by me as Saturday was one of the most enjoyable experiences at Roots Hall in a long time--- Being positive then maybe if everyone stays fit we can continue to improve then who knows what is possible? Being negative (realistic?) we have hugely important players who did not complete a pre season and are unlikely to last the season , so we should not be surprised if we fade away again much like last season- just saying

We always have this down with the Christmas decorations syndrome, we need to kick it...

I don't want to **** on anyone's chips, so if you only care about the latest result look away now, but I have a foreboding sense of deja vu from the mid-90s under Spud (pun not intended) when after an iffy start we signed Ronnie Whelan and with him in the team we somehow found ourselves in a play-off position, only for things to fall apart when Whelan predictably got injured and we went into free-fall.

I still don't think PB's the man for the job and I think as quickly things have got better they'll go wrong, particularly when (and not if) Ferdinand and Ranger get injured again. That's what happens when you build your foundations on sand. We've seen throughout the Brown era that PB's been unable to make the little adjustments once teams adjust to us and he ends up tearing things down and starts again with big changes of formation and personnel. In two months' time we'll have given up on 4-4-2 and be playing something like 5-3-2 or 4-3-2-1 (or have tried and failed at that and be back at 4-4-2 again); he'll have fallen out with Adam Thompson or yet another centre-half etc. We know this as we've seen it time after time.

I've called this season correctly so far - the struggle at the start from the lack of long term planning; a pick up in form around this time of the year - I just hope I'm wrong about the wheels coming off completely around February time. And I hope his successor doesn't struggle as much as Peter Taylor's successors struggled when they inherited a rotten side and little money as it had already been frittered away on too many forgettable journeymen. That lead to a double relegation and that thought is :omg:

So hopefully Ranger and Ferdinand can cope with 3 matches in 8 days - particularly as the weather is now cold and pitches heavy - Will Atkinson hasn't scored his quota for the season (lovely finish for his first), the lack of money from cup runs won't make wages late and we'll pick up some more points to guard against that winter collapse.

Brown's strategy has been to sign name players -it didn't work with Hunt and Wordsworth last year.

To be fair whilst Hunt was a waste of time Wordsworth is clearly a good player and just struggled with injuries last year, so that's 3 out of 4 name players (or 4 out of 5 if you include Cox) that have worked out. Our issue is depth, take the big players away and we'll struggle.

I don't want to **** on anyone's chips, so if you only care about the latest result look away now, but I have a foreboding sense of deja vu from the mid-90s under Spud (pun not intended) when after an iffy start we signed Ronnie Whelan and with him in the team we somehow found ourselves in a play-off position, only for things to fall apart when Whelan predictably got injured and we went into free-fall.

I still don't think PB's the man for the job and I think as quickly things have got better they'll go wrong, particularly when (and not if) Ferdinand and Ranger get injured again. That's what happens when you build your foundations on sand. We've seen throughout the Brown era that PB's been unable to make the little adjustments once teams adjust to us and he ends up tearing things down and starts again with big changes of formation and personnel. In two months' time we'll have given up on 4-4-2 and be playing something like 5-3-2 or 4-3-2-1 (or have tried and failed at that and be back at 4-4-2 again); he'll have fallen out with Adam Thompson or yet another centre-half etc. We know this as we've seen it time after time.

I've called this season correctly so far - the struggle at the start from the lack of long term planning; a pick up in form around this time of the year - I just hope I'm wrong about the wheels coming off completely around February time. And I hope his successor doesn't struggle as much as Peter Taylor's successors struggled when they inherited a rotten side and little money as it had already been frittered away on too many forgettable journeymen. That lead to a double relegation and that thought is :omg:

So hopefully Ranger and Ferdinand can cope with 3 matches in 8 days - particularly as the weather is now cold and pitches heavy - Will Atkinson hasn't scored his quota for the season (lovely finish for his first), the lack of money from cup runs won't make wages late and we'll pick up some more points to guard against that winter collapse.

On the cynical gloom and foreboding scale YB you have just achieved 11 out 10. I was enjoying my chips until this.

I can see your point YorkshireBlue ..... yes Brown goes in for large scale changes and yes he falls out with players and yes, it feels like we would deteriorate with a couple of injuries.

And I hope I haven't misinterpreted your post but you mention above about "inheriting a rotten side" for a successor to Brown (have I got that right?). Should Brown leave soon, for the sake of argument that is, I do not see that the vast majority of the squad we have as being anything other than capable of playing in this division ........... and so a successor would have a goodish group of players to work with - and therefore not a poisoned chalice at all.

A key point for me about the XI that were taking to the pitch earlier in the season was that they were not a team but a group of players without the correct direction, leadership and organisation. I'm not into bashing or praising Brown but that surely is down to the management team.

I have come to accept that the Victor's and Victoria's will never be happy, but at the same time I don't much care as I see the team getting better and performances improving- and the players we have now I think are more likely to get us in the playoffs than those we had last year.

I am increasingly optimistic about the season but don't think we are such a big club that failure to get in the Championship is somehow a spectacular failure.

If each post had a musical back drop i can only imagine something sad by Coldplay for this post ....

Back