• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quality signings

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Oct. 04 2004,14:47)]If he is so good how come SWINDON didnt snap him up .
Wolves released Collymore, their loss could be our gain!

Maybe not in the same way as this, but its still a point that its down to the manager to spot the talent.

He scored a hat trick in Swindon reserves, I don't think he could of done much better!

They decided to go the "experienced" route signed someone called David Reeves on thursday (who also happens to be one of their players brothers)

I can see this developing into a no win situation for us, If he doesn't score goals then we send him back nothing gained , if he sets the world alight someone comes in and signs him permanently of one of the days when RM/GK isn't in the office to sign the cheque...
Hopefully we have first refusal and the lad likes home so much he wants to stay there....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 04 2004,13:46)]Let's give him a go. He's here for a month on loan. What have we got to lose?

rock.gif

Matt
Only our football league status ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]Only our football league status ...

Kev
Which will be much more secure if we slag everyone off before they even set a hand on a Southend shirt for the first time...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]I can see this developing into a no win situation for us, If he doesn't score goals then we send him back nothing gained , if he sets the world alight someone comes in and signs him permanently of one of the days when RM/GK isn't in the office to sign the cheque...
If he sets the world alight we have still won. With 18 points up for grabs this month(3 already lost), it is very important we stay in touch with the playoffs!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 04 2004,13:46)]Let's give him a go.  He's here for a month on loan.  What have we got to lose?

rock.gif

Matt

Kev
If our league status hinges on the success or otherwise of one loan signing, then we might as well wave the white flag right now, and dig out those route-planners to Forest Green...

rock.gif

C'mon... it's one loan player, for one month. Give the lad a chance.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Oct. 04 2004,15:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]I can see this developing into a no win situation for us, If he doesn't score goals then we send him back nothing gained , if he sets the world alight someone comes in and signs him permanently of one of the days when RM/GK isn't in the office to sign the cheque...
If he sets the world alight we have still won. With 18 points up for grabs this month(3 already lost), it is very important we stay in touch with the playoffs!
Hopefully the strikers we have will sit up and acknowledge that the gaffer doesn't see those players waiting in the wings as viable options and, instead is gambling on a player from Grays! says it all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,15:05)]
[b said:
[b said:
Hopefully the strikers we have will sit up and acknowledge that the gaffer doesn't see those players waiting in the wings as viable options and, instead is gambling on a player from Grays! says it all.
How is it 'gambling'?! The guy scored 37 goals last season. A record I say none of our present strikers could get even if they were playing at that level.

West Ham were prepared to offer him another year and he could well be playing in their reserves now and if we loaned him from them, I'm sure he would not be getting the amount of criticism he has already got before he has even kicked a ball in a SUFC shirt!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Oct. 04 2004,15:19)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
How is it 'gambling'?! The guy scored 37 goals last season. A record I say none of our present strikers could get even if they were playing at that level.

West Ham were prepared to offer him another year and he could well be playing in their reserves now and if we loaned him from them, I'm sure he would not be getting the amount of criticism he has already got before he has even kicked a ball in a SUFC shirt!
Didn't Salter score 40+ ? The Teddy Sheringham of non-league I think they called him?

....and it's a "gamble" I would take as well

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can see this developing into a no win situation for us, If he doesn't score goals then we send him back nothing gained , if he sets the world alight someone comes in and signs him permanently of one of the days when RM/GK isn't in the office to sign the cheque...

Actually, I think it's a no lose situation. If he doesn't perform we are in exactly the same position as we are now, but if he does we get the best of it!

We know what the crowd are like to a hero... if he comes in and does the business he will be revered all around, will probably love it and want to stay. And if a bigger club comes in and takes him on the strength of his wonder performances for us, then hey! We had the benefit for a bit and he's not our player anyway...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 04 2004,14:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 04 2004,13:46)]Let's give him a go. He's here for a month on loan. What have we got to lose?

rock.gif

Matt

Kev
If our league status hinges on the success or otherwise of one loan signing, then we might as well wave the white flag right now, and dig out those route-planners to Forest Green...

rock.gif

C'mon... it's one loan player, for one month. Give the lad a chance.

Matt
Oops. Didn't add a
wink.gif
with that last post. I was only being a sarcy so-and-so. As long as God doesn't get replaced, Fredy will be in my good books ...

Kev

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,15:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Oct. 04 2004,15:19)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Didn't Salter score 40+ ? The Teddy Sheringham of non-league I think they called him?

....and it's a "gamble" I would take as well
I might be wrong here, but Salter was making even more of a step up. He was playing in the Western League, which is equal to Essex Senior? Thats a massive jump for any player!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 04 2004,14:51)]As long as God doesn't get replaced, Fredy will be in my good books
Kev, Drewe only makes the bench these days.

ps Is Drewe the only player with a 100% record v Col U?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 04 2004,15:56)]ps Is Drewe the only player with a 100% record v Col U?
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Where&#39;d you dig up that ridiculous stat from?</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Durera @ Oct. 04 2004,14:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 04 2004,15:56)]ps Is Drewe the only player with a 100% record v Col U?
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Where&#39;d you dig up that ridiculous stat from?</span>
tounge.gif

Dunno.

I saw Eastwood play for Grays against my local team Basingstoke last season and was mighty impressed. He destroyed us to be honest, scoring at least twice as far as I can remember. He was quick strong and aggressive with good movement and excellent finishing. I spoke to his dad at half time, who said that he Cambridge were after him and I&#39;m surprised they did not snap him up. So I for one am glad he&#39;s joined us as I reckon he has huge potential

Right ffs, what is it with some people on this bloody board.

His a young lad with a brilliant non league record, now we have signed him for a MONTH, to have a look at him and see if he can cut the grade, if he can&#39;t we haven&#39;t lost very much at all, his hardly on thousands now is he.

Will people please remember the nightmare of Graham Jones, There arn&#39;t a great deal of experenced goal scorers that arn&#39;t at a club. Tilly nearly got Scott Mcleash in the summer, i was gutted we missed out but at the end of the day he would have been on a big wage, and if he doesn&#39;t score the goals, ull all be on here saying oh why do we waste money on these donkeys.

His a local lad, with alot of potential, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jeez &#33;

P.S Chris Phillips made a good point in the Echo about RM shud give Tilly anything he can to strengthen the squad, I know financies are tight but thats nothing new for this club or any other in the football league, if there are a few pennies for a player or two then Tilly should be allowed it and it could make all the difference, the squad is alot better than pervious years and with a bit of luck we could be up there but if there is a little bit of money there then i feel now is the time to give Tilly it whils&#39;t things are reasonably open atm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 04 2004,18:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Oct. 04 2004,17:29)]Jeez &#33;
good point.

btw, Tilly knew Fredy from when he was at our Centre of Excellence...
Indeed, that was interesting, his obviously been keeping tabs on him, i can understand people being wery because we have had alot of non league duds to be fair but at the end of the day we have nothing to lose and we really do have everything to gain. This is a logical and well thought move by Tilly, something i wish pervious managers had done but yet its really downing to see the attitude on this board.

Back