• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quality signings

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 04 2004,14:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,13:48)]

Don't forget, Wayne Gray looked like a 'scoring sensation' against some of the kind of defenses Eastwood has played against... but look at how he struggles against league opposition.

I hope Eastwood does the biz and becomes a Shrimper.
A tad harsh... I think a few goals would transform Wayne Gray to Constantine levels (ok - thats not very high, but at least he'd look the League Two business...). I think Wayne is suffering from the lack of confidence that afflicts strikers when they aren't scoring.

For proof of this you need look no further than Real Madrid. Owen is doing a Wayne Gray and Raul has finally scored last week after 9 months at the Bernabeu without a goal. If that lot can suffer from a lack of confidence then ours certainly can!
Hhhhmmmm, the more I reply, the more I'm going to be misunderstood I fear.

I'm not being 'harsh' on Gray. All I said was that he's struggling at the moment. Isn't that a fair comment?

I'm sure he is lacking confidence at the moment, but before that, he was knocking them in during pre-season, so his lack of confidence (I think) is a product of his difficulty scoring and not the other way round.

I am only presenting one side of the Eastwood / Gray debate. I'm not going out to knock them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet Blue @ Oct. 04 2004,13:59)]How can anyone expect Corbett to make an impact give a maximum of 10 minutes and minimum of 3 minutes!!
I totally agree that no player can make an impact in 10 minutes. But Corbett had 30 to impress on Saturday. He has also had two 20minute spells.

This is not aimed at yourself, but now Corbett is out of the side and we are lacking a finisher, many seem to think Corbett will be our saviour. We do not see the players on a daily basis and I'll certainly trust Tilly's judgement if the player is not putting in enough effort in training that does not warrant a starting place in the Blues line-up.

Interesting view on Eastwood from a Grays fan:

"Freddy. Was one of our stars last year - 36 goals I think - but often lets his head go down. IMO that is why he's with us and not at West Ham where we got him from.

Likely to score you a couple of goals which by the looks of it you desparately need. Can turn on a sixpence and has one of the hardest and sweetest shots in the league, both left foot and right. Changed the course of many games and managed to score some wonder goals in the process, mainly by dropping deep and taking on defenders. Probably the most talented young striker we've had at Grays for 10 years.

He spent some time last year with Charlton and really wants to go on to the big boys. No offense but I'm not sure whether Southend would be ideal in his eyes.

Let's just say you'll need a lot of cash to sign him up!!"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Oct. 04 2004,14:12)]Interesting view on Eastwood from a Grays fan:

"Freddy. Was one of our stars last year - 36 goals I think - but often lets his head go down. IMO that is why he's with us and not at West Ham where we got him from.

Likely to score you a couple of goals which by the looks of it you desparately need. Can turn on a sixpence and has one of the hardest and sweetest shots in the league, both left foot and right. Changed the course of many games and managed to score some wonder goals in the process, mainly by dropping deep and taking on defenders. Probably the most talented young striker we've had at Grays for 10 years.

He spent some time last year with Charlton and really wants to go on to the big boys. No offense but I'm not sure whether Southend would be ideal in his eyes.

Let's just say you'll need a lot of cash to sign him up!!"
I don't think Fredy would cost loads of money - £30k with various clauses for appearances and goals I would guess. The big winner for Grays (if we signed him) would be a percentage of a future transfer fee....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,14:05)]Hhhhmmmm, the more I reply, the more I'm going to be misunderstood I fear.

I'm not being 'harsh' on Gray. All I said was that he's struggling at the moment. Isn't that a fair comment?
As ever, its not what you say but how you say it  
biggrin.gif

If you'd said:

'he's struggling at the moment'

I would have understood something different to what I understood by:

'look how he struggles against league opposition'

See what I mean?  
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 04 2004,15:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,14:05)]Hhhhmmmm, the more I reply, the more I'm going to be misunderstood I fear.

biggrin.gif

If you'd said:

See what I mean?
cool.gif
No. Matt's right... you are a plank!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,14:33)]
[b said:
[b said:

biggrin.gif

If you'd said:

See what I mean?  
cool.gif

laugh.gif
OoooOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh!

Another one who resorts to verbals when he loses the argument...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Oct. 04 2004,15:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 04 2004,14:33)]
[b said:
[b said:

biggrin.gif

If you'd said:

See what I mean?
cool.gif

laugh.gif
OoooOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh!

Another one who resorts to verbals when he loses the argument...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Didn't lose the argument as there was no argument; you merely provided an alternative answer to what I offered up.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Oct. 04 2004,14:02)]And why would they allow there star striker to leave??
Perhaps they have no say in the matter. I thought it was pretty much standard-fare in youngsters' football contracts for there to be a clause which says, in effect, "if a club from a higher league comes in for me, you are required to sell me if I want to go."

Let's look at it this way:

*our forwards couldn't score in a brothel at the moment
*here is a young lad, who (from the sounds of it) is a bit cheeky but is also highly ambitious - and who patently knows his way to goal.

Let's give him a go. He's here for a month on loan. What have we got to lose?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Oct. 04 2004,14:47)]If he is so good how come SWINDON didnt snap him up .
Good question - he scored a few in the one game he played for them....

Perhaps Swindon don't know their collective arse from their elbow.

(Message to Swindon Town FC) Its their loss, Eastwood will be a good signing for us, I have seen him play last season - I see why the like of Charlton want him, he look good as Boylan if not better.

I look forward to see him play on Friday, what we got to lose
rock.gif

Every team has stories about how that let a good one go.

Let's hope Eastwood is one of them.

Maybe they were planning a swoop, and we got in early?

Maybe Eastwood wants to stay local?

Maybe Eastwood is taking his time before making a long term move?

Maybe Eastwood likes the Blue Belles?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Oct. 04 2004,15:53)]I see why the like of Charlton want him...
According to reports (incl. our official site) Charlton showed interest in him, gave him a trial, but decided they didn't want him.

Back