• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Protests???

£50M right now, would barely touch the sides. I don’t even think it would acquire the club and everything associated to it. Rough numbers would suggest you’re looking at nearly double that figure.

£50M right now, would barely touch the sides. I don’t even think it would acquire the club and everything associated to it. Rough numbers would suggest you’re looking at nearly double that figure.
I think you may have slightly missed my point here but interesting to know the true numbers that are involved. I’m struggling to see £100m value in Southend United but there you go, what do I know!

As crazy as those WORDS READ it's true!! Who on this earth would be made enough to get involved in football club ownership, it's bonkers for a potential NFL purchase. And. If you made such sums would you literally be that stupid to even entertainment the fact. This madness is why I MAY appear at times to be more positive about RM than others choose to be. Any reasonably prudent person, let alone a hardened businessperson would run a mile!! Just my opinion guys.

I think you may have slightly missed my point here but interesting to know the true numbers that are involved. I’m struggling to see £100m value in Southend United but there you go, what do I know!
It's in the potential of the assets. Could be 100m today, could be twice as much in 2 years or another war or socioeconomic downturn 50 quid.

The football club is 1 asset which would need to be purchased at X price. The money which RM is owed, would then need to be paid off £24M. You would then need to buy the Fossetts Farm & Roots Hall development. Which both are going to be based on a major % of the profit which the final developments would be worth. Everything is just eating more and more % of the pie and makes us near enough impossible to buy, unless you’re buying the whole lot, paying RM off, adding a very pretty drink to it and some for of equity % for him to gain on the development projects down the line.

That then raises another question?

Would I rather a random “investment fund” came in and took over with no property development experience, who may get bored in a few years.

Or leave RM to develop what needs doing property wise, and help make us an attractive investable opportunity.

Anything to get Martin out. This is nuts. Wake up guys. Nothing has forced him out before, and nothing will force him out now. Quote: Nothing is off the table in terms of how we bring about Ron Martin's departure from our club. Yes, you will make it mighty uncomfortable and embarrassing for him. Yes, he will stop attending games.

There is nothing they or we can do to get him out. The end is nigh. This guy is going nowhere until he gets his windfall. Protests have more chance of bringing an end to the football club than him hanging on for his pot of gold and making it go bust.
He will not leave no matter what the fans do. He will collect his money. He will then most certainly depart and hand over or sell the club. The football club will be in a much better position, and will survive. Meantime, our best bet is to ride the rough seas and let this take it's course.

Anything to get Martin out. This is nuts. Wake up guys. Nothing has forced him out before, and nothing will force him out now. Quote: Nothing is off the table in terms of how we bring about Ron Martin's departure from our club. Yes, you will make it mighty uncomfortable and embarrassing for him. Yes, he will stop attending games.

There is nothing they or we can do to get him out. The end is nigh. This guy is going nowhere until he gets his windfall. Protests have more chance of bringing an end to the football club than him hanging on for his pot of gold and making it go bust.
He will not leave no matter what the fans do. He will collect his money. He will then most certainly depart and hand over or sell the club. The football club will be in a much better position, and will survive. Meantime, our best bet is to ride the rough seas and let this take it's course.
Perfect.

Coincidences do happen, very infrequently, other than when genuine they are engineered.
And, imo, it is no coincidence that Ron has sat up and thought hard about the situation, or that TL and co have discussed the essentials which has filtered down so that the very reliable @in the know feels confident to post regards money will be available pdq.
Or that Sammy is on the pitch, most turnstiles back working and the licence to play music done.
And this is, likely, very likely, in part, (large part) to the protests, so @CRATE take a bow and a round of applause, while I eat some humble pie.

While I'm all for making our feelings known, the 'anything to get him out' and 'Martin Out NOW' is massively offputting.

The football club is 1 asset which would need to be purchased at X price. The money which RM is owed, would then need to be paid off £24M. You would then need to buy the Fossetts Farm & Roots Hall development. Which both are going to be based on a major % of the profit which the final developments would be worth. Everything is just eating more and more % of the pie and makes us near enough impossible to buy, unless you’re buying the whole lot, paying RM off, adding a very pretty drink to it and some for of equity % for him to gain on the development projects down the line.

That then raises another question?

Would I rather a random “investment fund” came in and took over with no property development experience, who may get bored in a few years.

Or leave RM to develop what needs doing property wise, and help make us an attractive investable opportunity.
I think Ron has previously stated he sees to outcomes:
1. Sale of the club with the ground owned by Ron/son of Ron and leased to the club at a sustainable rent reflecting the status of the club (division). Obvious any buyer would get this nailed down long term.
2. Sale of Club and stadium.
I sense a feeling that 2. going to be unlikely based on the level of investment. Also if the purchase is highly leveraged that could end up being in no-ones interest.
Of course all depends who the buyer is. I suspect a buyer we would like whose interest is the club is likely to be in the has funds for option 1 category.

Sale of the entire development at this point was never a scenario in play. Not even in Ron’s gift. He has joint development partners in the billionaire Dellals who have made their fortune through this business- have they even been approached? - doubt they would want to play ball. And agreements/contracts are already in place where SBC will be the ultimate owners of most of the housing? This was done along side the planning process. So to your point, is say a Pension Fund a property developer? Interested in a huge housing development that ultimately transfers ownership to SBC? Interested in owning a football club given they have a duty to deliver best return to their investors? And this before you get into a scenario where any sale process now changing the contracting parties would delay the developments by months?

Ron has said he would write the £24m off on a sale post development. So, say Avery wealthy local businessman/ Southend born businessman with an affinity for the club could very possibly go with option 1. Particularly as the increased revenue streams at the new stadium will make the club sustainable and hence any significant investment could be in the team rather the funding underlying losses.

I think Ron has previously stated he sees to outcomes:
1. Sale of the club with the ground owned by Ron/son of Ron and leased to the club at a sustainable rent reflecting the status of the club (division). Obvious any buyer would get this nailed down long term.
2. Sale of Club and stadium.
I sense a feeling that 2. going to be unlikely based on the level of investment. Also if the purchase is highly leveraged that could end up being in no-ones interest.
Of course all depends who the buyer is. I suspect a buyer we would like whose interest is the club is likely to be in the has funds for option 1 category.

Sale of the entire development at this point was never a scenario in play. Not even in Ron’s gift. He has joint development partners in the billionaire Dellals who have made their fortune through this business- have they even been approached? - doubt they would want to play ball. And agreements/contracts are already in place where SBC will be the ultimate owners of most of the housing? This was done along side the planning process. So to your point, is say a Pension Fund a property developer? Interested in a huge housing development that ultimately transfers ownership to SBC? Interested in owning a football club given they have a duty to deliver best return to their investors? And this before you get into a scenario where any sale process now changing the contracting parties would delay the developments by months?

Ron has said he would write the £24m off on a sale post development. So, say Avery wealthy local businessman/ Southend born businessman with an affinity for the club could very possibly go with option 1. Particularly as the increased revenue streams at the new stadium will make the club sustainable and hence any significant investment could be in the team rather the funding underlying losses.
In a very generalised way for such a specific topic, does anyone know we're the concept of a pension fund being interested in investing came from? I ask as if any of my policies involved such a link (for instance), even a tenuous equitable one, even barricaded, I would be moving my investment immediately. Has this been muted officially, as in a possibility?

In a very generalised way for such a specific topic, does anyone know we're the concept of a pension fund being interested in investing came from? I ask as if any of my policies involved such a link (for instance), even a tenuous equitable one, even barricaded, I would be moving my investment immediately. Has this been muted officially, as in a possibility?

Karl's backers were/are a Monaco based pension fund

Moving away from any specific proposal we do not know enough about it would not be entirely odd for a fund to own a large property portfolio- a football stadium would be fine as well (all legitimate property investments as well). Owning a lower league football club would be questionable but if it was make weight and washing its face then I guess that’s arguable. But make it loss making by investing in the team say then it starts to become a problem (realistically they would own for a short period and sell off)

Karl's backers were/are a Monaco based pension fund
Thanks MattE. Which explains why that option, if any investors (as in the managed funds punters) in such plans found out, is a no-go no-brainer from the start, surely. Property equity yes, anything linked even in a miniscule way to 'football' no.

Reactions: JD
While I'm all for making our feelings known, the 'anything to get him out' and 'Martin Out NOW' is massively offputting.
I agree, though I’m pretty sure Ron knows what most of us think of him. I don’t know him personally but he seems to like to portray a certain image of himself and the widespread negative publicity doesn’t fit that. I think the most powerful negative publicity will have been the humiliation of having it known that the fans had to donate money and the trust and sponsors had to provide loans to keep the club functioning. I don’t subscribe to the view that he will have been rubbing his hands in glee and thinking “What mugs.”

I’m all for keeping up the pressure as some of it seems to have had the right effect but as you say 'anything to get him out' and 'Martin Out NOW' is offputting as is the statement “If games are called off, so be it.” So basically if the club is fined and points deducted so be it? “Peaceful disruption” is illustrated by a picture of a previous on the pitch protest. If only the leaflet had provided an answer to their question “When he’s gone: what next?” Don’t they think we should work that out first?

The club’s statement says “We will use some of the bridging finance to pay off the HMRC debt. This will result in the winding up petition being dismissed.” We will know whether or not that has happened by the day of the protest. If it does I can’t see there being much enthusiasm from the majority of supporters for missing the first 15 minutes of a game they have paid good money to watch judging by the way the rather muted “Martin Out” chants didn’t spread round the ground. On the other hand, if this turns out to be another unfulfilled promise ……

Moving away from any specific proposal we do not know enough about it would not be entirely odd for a fund to own a large property portfolio- a football stadium would be fine as well (all legitimate property investments as well). Owning a lower league football club would be questionable but if it was make weight and washing its face then I guess that’s arguable. But make it loss making by investing in the team say then it starts to become a problem (realistically they would own for a short period and sell off)
The entire concept is highly questionable imo. Thanks for the explanation, I'm otta the loop on this angle.

Could we not get together and properly fund a really good private detective firm to investigate all aspects of Ron’s life since he was knee high to a grasshopper?

Back