• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Our prospects for next season?

@Barry.C Your obsession with squad numbers is bizarre.

We have just as much of a chance of having an excellent season with a smaller squad, as Barnet do of having a shocker of a season with a large squad.

Previously you’ve said we have to sign everyone early and used Bury as your shining light, and we know how that worked out.

Now we have to have a large squad, and Barnet are the poster child for this at the moment. I hope what happened to Bury doesn’t happen to Barnet.
No but we do need 3/4 more

@Barry.C Your obsession with squad numbers is bizarre.

We have just as much of a chance of having an excellent season with a smaller squad, as Barnet do of having a shocker of a season with a large squad.

Previously you’ve said we have to sign everyone early and used Bury as your shining light, and we know how that worked out.

Now we have to have a large squad, and Barnet are the poster child for this at the moment. I hope what happened to Bury doesn’t happen to Barnet.
Just going by what the experts say, ! Sad to see you jumping on Rigsbys one trick Bury bandwagon, loved to be repeated by those who fail to recognise the undoubted benefits in the main of a larger squad as history has demonstrated and even mor likely necessary . Thats not to say a small squad wont manage promotion it clearly has been done, but t is not the norm and becoming more difficult with the 7 subs issue, more likely injuries , more competitors and only one automatic slot
You dont seem to have analysed in any depth the size of squads that generally gain promotion from this league

Yes we do, Kev has said that, I’ve said the positions Kev wants to strengthen too.

But the obsession over this all summer has been crazy from Barry.
Thats an unnecessary comment , and a gross exaggeration and way off the mark. you just dont like what i have to say and maybe you are clinging to a bit of our past history ?

i guess you could say i was bizarrely obsessed for some years with our recruitment strategy which i rattled on about. You might claim I was crazily beset by taking players from the lower league

i had a long spell of obsession too you would think with the Peterborough model and then Brentford

i went berserk over the need to send more youngsters out on loan for years and then against all the plaudits he was getting I couldnt stop a tirade about Phil Browns ageist signings

And then along came Stan Collymore . Very Bizzare I call it??>

Just going by what the experts say, ! Sad to see you jumping on Rigsbys one trick Bury bandwagon, loved to be repeated by those who fail to recognise the undoubted benefits in the main of a larger squad as history has demonstrated and even mor likely necessary . Thats not to say a small squad wont manage promotion it clearly has been done, but t is not the norm and becoming more difficult with the 7 subs issue, more likely injuries , more competitors and only one automatic slot
You dont seem to have analysed in any depth the size of squads that generally gain promotion from this league

But when I mentioned about the quality vs quantity argument in one of the post match threads of one of the pre-season games you didn’t reply.

Personally, I don’t care about the squads that’s the likes of Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County or Stockport had when they won promotion. They had the money to throw around, so could afford to have a big squad. We don’t, or COSU rightly choose not to. I’d rather have a squad of say 22 players, where all of them are good enough to start, so if someone is injured it’s not a problem because the drop off with their replacement isn’t too great.

I’d much rather do that then have a squad of 30 players, a lot of them that don’t see game time, and when they have an injury crisis they bring in more replacements.

Kev prefers to work with a smaller squad. Doesn’t matter how many times you say we need more players, that isn’t going to change his mind.

The players have to be right, they have to be of good quality, or good character and fit the style of play that the club wants to adopt.

One thing Stan mentioned was about having a club “style of play” and that is a non-negotiable. Yes, we might mix up a style of play depending on the opposition, but in the main we play possession based football, press high, and start fast. Doesn’t always work, and not everyone agrees with it, but that’s how the club want to play, and that is the type of players we will look to recruit to fit that model. So, a goalkeeper who is good with his feet for example.

As Stan said, it then stops that if Kev is poached or sacked and we bring in a replacement, or promote from within, we don’t have to rip everything up and start again. We won’t go from how we play now to say a big Sam style of football. Then have to get rid of a load of players and bring in players that fit that system. That manager gets sacked and we go back to a passing game, and we have a side resembling the Lincoln City side we used to face in league two and have to bring in loads more players.

There are more than one way to skin a cat, and just because others have been promoted by stockpiling players doesn’t mean that’s the only way to do it…

He is right though.

Anyways, in terms of squad size, you keep going on about this and partly due to other teams and the increase in substitutes next season. I wouldn’t be shocked to see us regularly not name a full compliment, especially as we don’t really have a youth team as such to dip into.

Kev likes to operate a smaller squad, that is true, and Kev has worked wonders during his spell in charge with a smaller squad, no more so than last season and the embargo and squad limit restrictions.

In an ideal world, you’d have at least a 22 man squad (two players for every position) and those two players being good enough to start. However, even during the Euros we’ve seen 26 men squads, and England had players in their squad that didn’t get a single minute of action, rightly or wrongly, and I’m not just talking about the goalkeepers.

The problem you’ll have is getting the amount of players you want, in the budget given. So the argument becomes quality or quantity. Take the goalkeeper for example. In my mind, whoever you bring into the squad should be good enough to start. No point signing a goalkeeper, who becomes number 2, that once Collin gets injured you bring in a replacement on loan because the number 2 you have was brought in because he is cheap. Using made up figures, say across our budget, Kev decides that £2k per week will go on the goalkeepers. So, do you go for two on £1k a week, one on £1200 and the other on £800 and so on. Collin might demand £1500, so we can only spend £500 on a number 2. Straight away, the quality available is reduced.

Again, look at centre forwards. We have Cards, Waldron & Walker. Ideally, for my mind, we’d have a fourth striker (two for every position) but he’d be good enough to start. So, again using made up figures, we have £4000 a week to spend on centre forwards. 4 on £1000, easy. However, Walker comes in and wants £1200, that’s okay as Waldron is on £800, however Cards is on £1500. Do we take a punt on a £500 a week centre forward, or do we reduce the budget on defenders to get in extra quality upfront?

It’s a fine balancing act. As I say, all those figures are made up but you get my point.

There you go @Barry.C to save you searching for it.

A big squad means our 5th striker is someone like Chris Wreh.

A small squad means if we lose 2 strikers, our 5th striker is someone like Daniel Kanu on loan for a month.

Having no transfer window means we can import higher quality as and when required, rather than contract somebody not good enough for 12 months in case they are needed.

Would you really rather a Wreh standard player over a Kanu standard one just so we can tick a 'big squad' box?

Just a few years ago when we were in league 1. One of our rivals who had lost on the play-offs the previous season are doing really well at Christmas. Barry gave then high praise for signing 8 players in early January. Barry explained that they were all scouted and approached in December. Apparently the best players could only be signed in early Jan.

I did warn on here that they they were another club trying to punch above their weight and it could end in disaster. From then on they could hardly win a game and their manger was sacked by March that year.
They are known as Scunthorpe United and now play in the NLN.....just incase anyone has forgotten about them.

Well, for 5 grand a week I'd expect to sign a player that wasn't 16 stone and lived on burgers. But Ricketts was prove that it's possible.

A front line of Ricketts, Foran and Harold wasn't even league 1 standard, let alone championship.
I still have nightmares about that col u game at home and the laughter when Harold came on 😡😡😡😡

Just a few years ago when we were in league 1. One of our rivals who had lost on the play-offs the previous season are doing really well at Christmas. Barry gave then high praise for signing 8 players in early January. Barry explained that they were all scouted and approached in December. Apparently the best players could only be signed in early Jan.

I did warn on here that they they were another club trying to punch above their weight and it could end in disaster. From then on they could hardly win a game and their manger was sacked by March that year.
They are known as Scunthorpe United and now play in the NLN.....just incase anyone has forgotten about them.
Where you completely lose the point is that for every Bury or Scunthorpe you quote as failing with a large squad I could quote you 10 that succeeded. I suspect I’ve researched the matter more throughly than yourselves
But it would be pointless as you are stuck with your view like some Trumpian candidate and I in my position

You and Boy wonder seem to hold the belief which few experts and professionals do, that a small squad is EQUALLY
Llikely to win the league as a large one, I’ve acknowledged of course it’s possible but the odds are against it
It’s not a 50-50 zero game But don’t let facts, evidence and logic get in the way of your myth making

Where you completely lose the point is that for every Bury or Scunthorpe you quote as failing with a large squad I could quote you 10 that succeeded. I suspect I’ve researched the matter more throughly than yourselves
But it would be pointless as you are stuck with your view like some Trumpian candidate and I in my position

You and Boy wonder seem to hold the belief which few experts and professionals do, that a small squad is EQUALLY
Llikely to win the league as a large one, I’ve acknowledged of course it’s possible but the odds are against it
It’s not a 50-50 zero game But don’t let facts, evidence and logic get in the way of your myth making

Barry mate, you are missing the point. No one at the club and every single one of us fans would like to see some more signings. You post as though Justin and Kev have neglected your wonderful research.

In general the clubs with the most money have the strongest squads. It's not just about numbers its the quality on the bench and those that come in after an injury. Teams that win things have a strong spine and players that play 35 + games a season. If club A have a squad of 30 but only use 18 plus 4 or 5 with just a few sub minutes here and there. That means it wasn't numbers but ability and lucky season with injuries. That's why Chesterfield were champions last season. A couple of years ago they were doing really well but lost key players and faltered second half of the season.

As for us last year, nobody wanted just 12 players available but we all know why that was the case. The delay in the takeover has not helped Kev this summer either. Then again not all of us predict season of doom with stats to back it. Some of us on here believe Kev and JS will do fine job in recruiting over the next 12 months. We are looking forward to this Saturday, in fact we can't wait to get behind which ever starting 11 and the subs that Kev picks. Try if you can to rock up and do the same. concentrate on the 11 on the pitch not the 11 we haven't signed.

Back