• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Our prospects for next season?

I think the title could be a step too far this year. Too many other strong teams out there who had a head start on recruitment. Play-offs certainly, & if we don’t win those and as long as no more headaches come along (can’t yet bring myself to think we can be ‘normal’ for more than a few months at a time), we should definitely be looking to win the league the following year.
I think the standard is going to be consistantly high each season. There are always going to be many young players off loaded by the big boys who will join NL sides as the difference between 2ND and NL narrows. Someone posted that the gulf between NL and NLS and NLN is widening, so would we expect to see these promoted teams struggle to stay in NL?

Tilly had the lowest budget in the Championship.......You get what you pay for.

Well, for 5 grand a week I'd expect to sign a player that wasn't 16 stone and lived on burgers. But Ricketts was prove that it's possible.

A front line of Ricketts, Foran and Harold wasn't even league 1 standard, let alone championship.

Kev still hasn’t had a proper pre-season. Not by a long way. Missed out on numerous targets, **** training conditions etc.
But it was a lot worse this time last year?. Ground was a mess, players training on their own, no one knowing whether we'd actually start the season, & less players than now?.
TBH possibly along with many other's, for our 1st game v Oldham i attended expecting us to get beat by at least 3 or 4 goals!!.

I can't believe after all the effort COSU have put in to get control of the club they will sit back and not want to have a concerted shot at the title this season.

Promotion will be a key objective without doubt. Would not surprise me if we got off to a slow start, the early fixtures could have been kinder. However, the side is good enough and with more strength in depth we will not be far away.
The Club will be working within a budget as all good sustainable businesses should. The days of throwing money at lost causes are over. We are in for an exciting ride over the next couple of years, let's sit back and enjoy.
I am confident that within 2 years we will get back to the EFL.

Promotion will be a key objective without doubt. Would not surprise me if we got off to a slow start, the early fixtures could have been kinder. However, the side is good enough and with more strength in depth we will not be far away.
The Club will be working within a budget as all good sustainable businesses should. The days of throwing money at lost causes are over. We are in for an exciting ride over the next couple of years, let's sit back and enjoy.
I am confident that within 2 years we will get back to the EFL.
Given the lack of turnover we should be targeting a fast start. 8 or 9 who finished last season will probably start.

Looking at where we finished past seasons if it wasn’t for the rat poison we would of finished in the play offs but this season is different new owners new players fantastic management here is to a good season

Well, for 5 grand a week I'd expect to sign a player that wasn't 16 stone and lived on burgers. But Ricketts was prove that it's possible.

A front line of Ricketts, Foran and Harold wasn't even league 1 standard, let alone championship.
And Ricketts was also living in the county hotel ( I think it was) in Chelmsford during his time with us. I heard his bar/food bill was pretty high! I doubt that was ever paid off though. 😂

I think playoffs is definitely achievable but the more I think about it the more I feel the most important thing this season is to stabilise the club, have a normal season without any major dramas, understand how our finances are likely to look for the next few years and put together a proper five-year plan based on those to get back into L1 in a stable and sustainable manner so that we can comfortably stay there.

I think playoffs is definitely achievable but the more I think about it the more I feel the most important thing this season is to stabilise the club, have a normal season without any major dramas, understand how our finances are likely to look for the next few years and put together a proper five-year plan based on those to get back into L1 in a stable and sustainable manner so that we can comfortably stay there.
Listening to the Podcast on Finance, COSU clearly have a 5 year plan and beyond. Tom Lawrence was asked where he saw the Club in 5 years time. He said sustainable or words to that effect. He also said the Management Team were under no pressure. Promotion would be great, but there are so many other things that need addressing at the same time.

Play offs is just about realistic.

We haven’t solved the midfield issue (which has existed for countless seasons now), so for me we’ll get the same as last season, lots of possession, tight games, opposition generally out to frustrate us, particularly at RH.
I think we could be in for a rude awakening next Saturday as York have spent well this summer and won’t be holding back.

The current bunch are more than capable of getting us out of this league but we will have a better idea of what to expect after the first three games TBF. Barnet will be an interesting one and I don’t think York will be any push over but then again we all expected to get battered by Oldham last year and we turned it on its head.

We will have to see where we are after 7/8 games. Goals are essential and clean sheets are merely a statistic. The 10 point deduction cost us last season but, there were a large number of games where our inability to be incisive, cost us as much and more.

A creative midfield is a must and at times we can be creative but, it is so inconsistent.

I have been unable to see the preseason games, sadly, so I cannot comment on the performances or results. I will keep my powder dry until the real games commence.

I’m not criticising anything about the team until we have had a 7 or 8 game run .
Bye then we will know how the season is likely to pan out.
But personally if we finish mid table, I don’t think it’s the end of the world.
What’s paramount to me has been our survival. Better on field days will come along with more stability.

Back