• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United, Saturday 7th September, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
After an unexpected blank Saturday due to train trouble, we are on the road (or rails!) up North again to Oldham.

After winning their first two games of the season (against minnows Braintree and Wealdstone), Micky Mellon's side have been winless in their next four matches with a heavy defeat at Aldershot and 1-1 draws at Fylde and Altrincham and home to Gateshead. Like our own supporters, their large fanbase will be expecting more from the former Premier League side and so we can expect a good battle against one of the other National League big boys.

For those travelling to Boundary Park, @DoDTS ’s excellent guide is well worth a read and will tell you all about the logistics for the day. https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/oldham-athletic-saturday-7th-september-2024.119157/

Trains permitting, this is likely to be our first game without Harry Cardwell leading the line but also a first chance for our fans to see new boys Bim Pepple and Keenan Appiah-Forson. The postponement of the Fylde game will give the new lads an extra week to settle in and train with the team which will hopefully be to our advantage. Now that the EFL transfer has shut one would have hoped for a few new faces in our squad - particularly after Monday’s update from Kev about the extent of the injuries to Coker, Walker and Waldron, but at the time of writing we still only have the same diminished squad to pick from. With the game against Eastleigh following hot on the heels of this one, let’s hope the football department are working tirelessly to bring some more players in.

So who would you choose to start at Boundary Park, and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
team picks itself, i think in practice we'll look something like a 3-6-1 with a box midfield - Miley and KAF as double pivot, Moncur and Husin getting up to support Pepple.

team picks itself, i think in practice we'll look something like a 3-6-1 with a box midfield - Miley and KAF as double pivot, Moncur and Husin getting up to support Pepple.
Pretty much this. Team more or less picks itself

Might be tempted given the opposition to bring in Gubbins for Bridge to sure us up a bit down the left.

Colin
GSM
Taylor
Crowther
Gubbins
Ralph
Miley
KAF
Husin
Moncur behind Pepple.

Pretty much this. Team more or less picks itself

Might be tempted given the opposition to bring in Gubbins for Bridge to sure us up a bit down the left.

Colin
GSM
Taylor
Crowther
Gubbins
Ralph
Miley
KAF
Husin
Moncur behind Pepple.
With the loss of Cardwell, we are very limited with attacking threat. Taking Bridge out gives us hardly any threat. Surely with the addition of People, we need the player with the most assists to get the ball into him.

I'm actually intrigued to see how we play. We've played our best football against adversity and I feel we've lost that fire in the belly since the takeover. There has been a lot of negativity during the last few weeks and I am hoping they are fired up to prove the doubters wrong.

It was great to see the difference it made when we switched formation to have a right attacking go against Dagenham, with Wood delivering on the right.
We may revert back though to defensive mode and try to snatch one, unless new arrivals help a bit of a strategic rethink.

With a forward minded mid like Moncur, a box to box mid like forson, it would be nice to get rid of our DM who has mostly been an extra defender. Move that player up and despite his constant selection I would have no qualms replacing Miley with Morton. Stick Bim and Wood up top and let Wood drift to right as and when he wants.

You just have to look at the table to see we're at serious risk of falling behind the playoff pack if we lose this one( I hope we don't and I've put us down for a draw).Iknow it's early days but even so. :Whistling:

I'd go with

Colin

GSM Taylor Crowther Ralph Bridge

Forsen Miley Moncur

Wood

Bim

This will be my 3rd visit to Oldham. The previous two ended in defeat.

Our depleted squad faces a formidable task at Boundary Park. I foresee a defensive game with a fortress around Collin's goal and a bus parked on the goal line. Pepple will be left alone upfront as we pin our hopes on a breakaway goal. Gaining a point would be a major achievement and I sincerely hope that we do. I would be delighted to see a different, more attacking approach but it's as likely as Kim Kardashian having buttock reduction surgery.

We have been hit by injuries and the departure of Harry is a real blow which surprised me since I thought we would pay a lot to keep him because of his importance to the team. Clearly we tried to do so, however we can't compete with the budgets of Forest Green Rovers and several other NL teams.

I predicted a slow start to our season before it started and I was right. I also predicted a strong winning run before and after Christmas with another dip in form in the spring followed by a strong finish to secure a play off place. I hope I'm right in those predictions too.

Last edited:
I think we have to have some sort of attacking threat on Saturday, no matter who is selected.

Might be worth selecting Morton over Miley, just for the possibility of Miley closing in on 5 yellows already, so Morton may have to start soon and he offers the ability to spray the ball around from deep a little better, although doesn't seem as strong in the tackle.

However, if there are no further additions, I would select Miley and would go with a diamond midfield formation of:

--------------------COLLIN-------------------------

------TAYLOR----CROWTHER--------RALPH-------

GUS-------------------------------------------BRIDGE

---------------------MILEY----------------------------

-------KAF----------------------HUSIN---------------

-------------------MONCUR-------------------------

--------------------PEPPLE---------------------------

It should be a good number I'd have thought. Boundary Park is a real Premiership level football stadium - and you can count the number of those in the National League on one finger. It's a unique away day for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back