• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finally, Finally, Finally, I've watched "The Team We Call United" :thumbsup:

Seriously, if anyone hasn't seen it, it's a must.

Some amazing footage. Some a bit sad, like the visit to Workington Town and seeing the old South Bank, packed to the rafters for a league game.

Some extremely amusing in it's plain and simple way.

But a wonderful trip down memory lane with shots you never thought would ever still exist. Faces of famous names of the past, too.

... and just how did we not get promoted in 1967-68, after thrashing Workington Town 7-0 and then imploding dramatically in the last few matches.

All in all, just superb. Especially the away trips.

To quote Vinnie in LS & TSB .. "It's been emotional"

Ps, Left me wondering if any 'zoners are actually on the video somewhere and, of course, whhatever did happen to those pre-season friendlies against Clyde! :smile:

Still plenty of copies available from The Shrimpers - if Nobbler hasn't bought them all up by now!

Met 'OBL' today and purchased a copy. :cool:

Not only that, got it personally signed by 'Nobbler'.

Have to say, I was wrong about the Shrimpers Club in a comment I made just before Christmas, for which I apologise.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable place. Big screen with the football on and a good pre-match atmosphere. Even a few 'Dale fans chatting amongst us. :thumbsup:

Met 'OBL' today and purchased a copy. :cool:

Not only that, got it personally signed by 'Nobbler'.

Have to say, I was wrong about the Shrimpers Club in a comment I made just before Christmas, for which I apologise.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable place. Big screen with the football on and a good pre-match atmosphere. Even a few 'Dale fans chatting amongst us. :thumbsup:

Yep, a great little venue IMHO, always enjoy catching up with various folk there - a number of the Dale fans were in there at my suggestion so glad they behaved! Think its great when fans from both clubs have a place they can sensibly mingle

Yep, a great little venue IMHO, always enjoy catching up with various folk there - a number of the Dale fans were in there at my suggestion so glad they behaved! Think its great when fans from both clubs have a place they can sensibly mingle

Don't get to the Shrimpers bar now days, i live west stand side, but remember a post match Friday night beer or two with 4 Brentford lads a few years ago now in the Golden Lion.

Caught your (?) post match comments on Essex Radio as you were 'crossing back over the boarder'.

Even managed to slip a P.B.ism in to your text: " if truth be told i'm looking forward to the Bolton match".

It's ok, I'm not telling, and i don't think anyone else noticed :winking:

Don't get to the Shrimpers bar now days, i live west stand side, but remember a post match Friday night beer or two with 4 Brentford lads a few years ago now in the Golden Lion.

Caught your (?) post match comments on Essex Radio as you were 'crossing back over the boarder'.

Even managed to slip a P.B.ism in to your text: " if truth be told i'm looking forward to the Bolton match".

It's ok, I'm not telling, and i don't think anyone else noticed :winking:

T'was I. Always like to try and catch BBC Essex out - they sometimes read the texts out as they come in and so you can slip stuff in and hear them try and correct themselves if they feel they shouldn't say something.:smile: Yesterday they didn't it seems suss out my little PB quote, but clearly they had read the text first as they missed out 'to the 92' when I had texted 'Roots To the 92 Hall'!!:thumbdown:

Sorry, back to old pics now. Given the ITV drama on Fri, here's one of the great man on a prog cover (v Rochdale) Southend v Rochdale 160.jpg

I know somewhere there is an old fans thread but I can't find it so this will do.

Anyway, what do you do on a rainy Sunday morning with now't else planned? My answer was to watch 'The Team We Call United' DVD again. Here is a pic still of the undoubted highlight, namely a certain Mr David Nobbler Brabbing (third from left) as part of the 1826 (estimate) player of the year presentation. He still has all of his own hair.

DSC_1340.jpg

:loyalsupporter:

I am in Spain and have not seen the film since the week prior to the first Derby cup tie in 76 when it was shown in The Shrimpers Club by the Brothers Grim. I should receive a copy in the next 6 weeks or so but in the meantime has anyone or can anyone post clips on YouTube or wherever? Cheers.

I am in Spain and have not seen the film since the week prior to the first Derby cup tie in 76 when it was shown in The Shrimpers Club by the Brothers Grim. I should receive a copy in the next 6 weeks or so but in the meantime has anyone or can anyone post clips on YouTube or wherever? Cheers.

Why in the next 6 weeks? Pop on to the Trust website and buy one, which will include postage and it should be with you within the next week or so!

Guess this must already be on here somewhere, but just in case it isn't :-

How quick is Stan for that disallowed goal!

[video=youtube;EVZ5RCY8e_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZ5RCY8e_I[/video]

I guessed it must have been. Funnily enough, I stumbled across it, looking for the Bolton 5-2 game.

I missed the Newcastle game, as I had the flu and was dosing myself up for the Everton game on the Saturday.

20170116_161747.jpgMy Dad always use to curse the name of Alvin Williams who had promised to get the Blues out of Div 3 for the first time in their history ...as this cutting shows which I found whilst renovating a house under a carpet! HE SUCCEEDED. Unfortunately my Dad never got to see that magical day under Webby ..if only

That was a double disaster for me. 10 of us caught the 8.35am train from Kings X to Sheffield, used the old 'Persil' vouchers (very popular at the time), which meant we travelled for £20 each instead of £40, and got to Sheffield at 10.45am.
En route someone got out a pack of cards, sorted out no.'s 2-10, used ace for no. 11 & we all chipped in a quid & picked a card for our first goalscorer (optimistic or what!).
I pulled no. 10 ( Stan), and for a few seconds after he scored, thought I was quids in!. Oh well, we still had a great day. Did'nt leave Sheffield till 7.45pm (drinking with Blades fans in a pub called The Penny Black, near the station), back at Kings X just after 10, back home in Shoebury around mid-night.
Those were the days!.

Seeing that we've got the afternoon off .For anyone who remembers this era. There's some great footage of Bill Garner just after his transfer playing for chelsea.It really does remind you what an immense centre forward he was for us and is good watch.Can't have been long after this tie as Chelsea are in the same strip as our game.An added bonus is you also see Dave Webb in action ,and in the follow up game Chelmsford v Ipswich you see Peter Morris in action before his management spell at the Blues.
Sorry can't post the exact link ,but if you go to the site Vimeo.com and search Brighton v Chelsea The brighton brawl
View attachment 4400

I finally dug out this picture from the loft.....1972 v Chelsea, great South Bank picture

I went with my dad to specifically see Bill Garner play for Chelsea V Ipswich Town soon after his transfer. I remember it being his debut but may be wrong as I was only 10. I believe Chelsea won 2-0.

I went with my dad to specifically see Bill Garner play for Chelsea V Ipswich Town soon after his transfer. I remember it being his debut but may be wrong as I was only 10. I believe Chelsea won 2-0.
Bills debut for Chelsea came the Saturday after he had played against them at Roots Hall against the team he thought he was signing for when he came on as a sub against West Ham at Stamford Bridge .

Bills debut for Chelsea came the Saturday after he had played against them at Roots Hall against the team he thought he was signing for when he came on as a sub against West Ham at Stamford Bridge .

What an away day that was, I remember it well. We played well too.. So many shrimpers, I believe we took about 5k.

Yes, he came on as a sub for Alan Hudson. He didn't feature in the next two games (including that Ipswich one) and made his first start the week later at Coventry when he also scored his first goal for them.

Back