• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

love the picture. i have hair in it !
View attachment 4379

Peterborough away 1990. Promotion secured so compulsory to get on the fence. That is until the Evening Echo publish a picture of it and your wife sees a picture of her Dad and her Husband drunk and acting like teenagers. Did I care? Not a jot! Great day out, lots of booze and one of the funniest Podge Morgan tales ever...jeez did he perform that day!

Do love the two pictures of Dave Cunningham....whos hair always looked the same before and after the match shower!!!

View attachment 4432View attachment 4433

OK folks, with a bit of time on my hands over the Xmas break, and in following up on an enquiry re a past game from a reader of my book which I did but then got a bit side-tracked (:smile:), I've had a rummage thro a few old progs and will put up in the next few posts a few pics from the past for you.

Apols in that they are not great quality - I've basically taken pics from old progs on my mobile under artificial light, but I hope they come across clear enough to spark a few good memories of the past.

To kick things off I've attached here a couple from a mid '70's SUFC handbook (what great things they were - and only 10p). One shows the members of the old travel club and another is a great one of our fans en route to Walsall.

Anyone see themselves in these pics, or have memories of the faces shown?

Yes,remember the names of a few,but faces of many.
One of the lads there,79-80.sadly tried to kill himself,by gas...while waiting..got peed off..and then has a CIG !!!
He survived,but badly burnt

I wonder what it must have felt like for our players that night. Must have been something special to play in.

Standing there, in that picture, and looking across and thinking "That's Peter Osgood, standing there and Ron Harris and Peter Houseman"!
Chelsea were looking over and thinking , wonder if I can get King Billy Bests shirt after the game .

I was 10 years old when we played Chelsea. I can still remember being on the 251 bus in heavy traffic, seeing the lights get slowly nearer and the excitement of the huge crowds holding up traffic by Priory Park. The atmosphere was just wonderful.
Being so young and having watched that magnificent Chelsea team on The Big Match and the FA Cup Final, European Cup Winners Cup Final - I remember being amazed that we were still level after 5 minutes. I fully expected Chelsea to win 10-0. It was the first game (one of few) that I recognised almost every opposing player - as though I knew them.
I lost my voice shouting for King Billy and the boys.

Great memories of the Chelsea game, also of the picture in the local paper of some kids standing next to the Chelsea Avenue sign off the seafront some days before the game. For some reason that image stuck in my head. COYBB

Remember the Chelsea match well, as a 13 year old having always gone to the match since 1967 with my dad I decided only kids went to football with their dad so went to the match with a couple of Greensward school class mates, only problem was some Chelsea supporters had got into the North bank resulting with a bottle being thrown in the air which then smashed into the top of my head resulting in a split head and lots of pain and blood, worst was trying to back in doors without my parents finding out what had happened as I was worried they would not let me go with my mates again. But what a match

Remember (I think???) a young Southend supporter with a cut on his top lip after the match later that season and was told it happened during the Chelsea match, not sure whether it did but 44 years later still see him at most matches (normally with an umbrella in the spread)
Dont remember any Chelsea in our end that game,but we played Chelsea in a friendly!!end of season,for Sid Bloomfield,where CFC fans got into our end and a bottle was used,it was said by that the one armed black bloke!!older fans may remember him..BA..s---could that have been the game.

Dont remember any Chelsea in our end that game,but we played Chelsea in a friendly!!end of season,for Sid Bloomfield,where CFC fans got into our end and a bottle was used,it was said by that the one armed black bloke!!older fans may remember him..BA..s---could that have been the game.

The friendly game there was definitely an attack by Chelsea fans on the North Bank and yes Oz - a bottle was used. I saw it...from the North Paddock!! ; )

That was Babs in The North Bank in friendly that night .

Yes,remember the names of a few,but faces of many.
One of the lads there,79-80.sadly tried to kill himself,by gas...while waiting..got peed off..and then has a CIG !!!
He survived,but badly burnt

I'm sorry, I shouldn't find that funny but almost wet myself laughing at that.

View attachment 4400

I finally dug out this picture from the loft.....1972 v Chelsea, great South Bank picture

Like Ozzie, i was there and I don't remember this. Wednesday 6th September 1972 was the day. The Munich air disaster, however, occured on Thursday 6th February 1958. This is equal to 14 years and 7 months.:dim: So exactly what was the 'minutes' silence for? Similarly the strange thing is i can't actually see our Old South Bank in this photo.

However if this is Roots Hall and the picture has been taken from the North Bank end showing our magnificent South Bank (Kop) where is the South Bank goal???:blush:

Like Ozzie, i was there and I don't remember this. Wednesday 6th September 1972 was the day. The Munich air disaster, however, occured on Thursday 6th February 1958. This is equal to 14 years and 7 months.:dim: So exactly what was the 'minutes' silence for? Similarly the strange thing is i can't actually see our Old South Bank in this photo.

However if this is Roots Hall and the picture has been taken from the North Bank end showing our magnificent South Bank (Kop) where is the South Bank goal???:blush:
Munich Olympics, murder of Israeli athletes by terrorists. Can't explain where the goal has gone though, unless deceptive camera angle?

It's taken from the North West corner of the ground (probably just to the right of the North Bank goal, where Tony Ackers used to sit), so in the background is the South East corner of the South Bank.

Munich Olympics, murder of Israeli athletes by terrorists. Can't explain where the goal has gone though, unless deceptive camera angle?

Thanks Grandad. Of course, i wrongly assumed it was the Manchester air crash with the caption just stating Munich disaster.

The Olympics in Munich ran from 26th August to the 10th September. So would still have been happening when this League Cup match took place.

Still can't see the goal though :'(

It was definitely taken before the Chelsea game. Big Bill Garner to the left, Terry Johnson and Dave Elliot stand out. Chelsea wore red shirts, white shorts and green socks...my black and white eyes can see that!

Finally, Finally, Finally, I've watched "The Team We Call United" :thumbsup:

Seriously, if anyone hasn't seen it, it's a must.

Some amazing footage. Some a bit sad, like the visit to Workington Town and seeing the old South Bank, packed to the rafters for a league game.

Some extremely amusing in it's plain and simple way.

But a wonderful trip down memory lane with shots you never thought would ever still exist. Faces of famous names of the past, too.

... and just how did we not get promoted in 1967-68, after thrashing Workington Town 7-0 and then imploding dramatically in the last few matches.

All in all, just superb. Especially the away trips.

To quote Vinnie in LS & TSB .. "It's been emotional"

Ps, Left me wondering if any 'zoners are actually on the video somewhere and, of course, whhatever did happen to those pre-season friendlies against Clyde! :smile:

Back