• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone know anything about a joint Cambridge United/Southend United team?
4564248988_283x420.jpg

4564248988_283x420.jpg

That was played about two months before Trevor died , Billy Best played and a few other Southend players I am sure that Billy Best the Legend Lives On or Mick can name the others .

4564248988_283x420.jpg

That was played about two months before Trevor died , Billy Best played and a few other Southend players I am sure that Billy Best the Legend Lives On or Mick can name the others .
Regarding the above programme, Cambridge/Southend United beat a strong West Ham team by 3-2 with the attendance being over 6,000. I believe the following Southend players played ? Dave Elliott, Joe Jacques, Gary Moore & Terry Johnson with both Moore & Johnson scoring 1 goal each. The Hammers team included the following Ferguson, Heffer, McDowell, Bonds, Taylor, Boyce, Redknapp, Holland, Hurst, Robson & Ayris. The West Ham line-up also included Bill Garner but he did not play(he almost joined them a few months later prior to signing for Chelsea), also missing was Billy Best due to injury. Trevor Roberts did attend the match even though he was very ill, but sadly died just 25 days later on June 2nd.1972. In the late 70's when Bill Garner was playing for Cambridge I went with him to some matches and in the players lounge was the signed match ball from Trevor's Testimonial. Also a few years ago on SZ when you could vote for your favourite players(ie Trevor Roberts v Mike Beesley)one of the people who replied to the thread was in fact Trevor's Grandson whose dad Hayden was only five years old when Trevor died.

I used to travel to home games on the train from Billericay with a man called George Wilson. He would tell me stories about how he helped build the ground. It could be him with the jacket and flat cap.

Dave Robinson was an ex player and had a testimonial against Aston Villa in 1970 and Sid Broomfield had a testimonial aginst Chelsea in 1974 .

aVWxuQ.gif

Dave Robinson

Such was the stature of the Scot, Dave Robinson in the history of the club that he had his first testimonial match in 1934, when David Jack came to watch and was persuaded to join the Shrimpers as manager, and his second in 1970. Five foot five but as hard as nails, Dave Robinson joined us from Leeds in 1928 and played 317 games until forced to hang up his boots due to injury in 1940. He went on to become a fixture at Southend being assistant trainer for 13 years under Wilf Copping and Wilf Dixon and on the staff until his retirement in 1970. He was still helping out at the club when he died in 1986 aged 86, having spent nearly 60 years with the club. A minute's silence was observed at the home game immediately after his death.

Thanks to the SrimpersTrust website and our Hall Of Fame for info

I met Dave Robinson a few times in the early/mid 1980's absolute club legend. He would still pop down the club a couple of times a week and see his mates Sid Broomfield, Joe Auger and Harry Threadgold. They told some great stories I wish I could have recorded them.
If we had fans posting on here from his time playing with us, he would be many peoples choice as their favourite ever player.

I worked at the club in the mid 80's and Sid was still in control of the pitch and stadium along with Joe. Dave Robinson still popped in to talk Southend United. Roots Hall was, certainly to Sid and Dave, more than just a football ground - they built it with their own hands. They loved the club and football with a passion.
There was another man ...a Geordie. He would come in to help with whatever needed doing with the football side staff and would go scouting for players. He would tell me stories of his career pre-war at northern based clubs.
Real football people. Not about the money (there was none) but because they loved doing it.

Looking at the image -it could be Sid that is the guy bent down working but furthest of the three. Wearing the white vest and cap.

The current issue of BACKPASS magazine has just landed on my doormat and it contains a team photo of the 1964/65 Southend team.

It was about 5 years before I started watching but I remember the names and both Bentley and Beesley were playing in 1969 when I started.

SUFC 6465 team.jpg
SUFC 6465.jpg

For those who don't know BACKPASS, it is bi-monthly and subscription only - not in shops as I understand. It is retro football from the 60's and 70's and right up my street. Brilliantly nostalgic. I thoroughly recommend it to any fans in their 50's or above.

Back