• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Watched the QPR game in the Paddock and it still ranks in my top 3 favourite ever games at the Hall. I recall staring at the sheer scale of Phil Parkes during the warm up and abusing Stanley Bowles throughout the match (even though I really liked/rated him). Didn't wee Davie Cunningham get a goal ?

Watched the QPR game in the Paddock and it still ranks in my top 3 favourite ever games at the Hall. I recall staring at the sheer scale of Phil Parkes during the warm up and abusing Stanley Bowles throughout the match (even though I really liked/rated him). Didn't wee Davie Cunningham get a goal ?

No, it was Guthrie and Brace.

Just seen this put up by C.P. So it definitely has to go on here. Great memory. Unusual Wednesday night game. 14th April 1993. Southend 3 Bristol Rovers 0. Collymore 2 Angell 1. Big Stan helps us avoid relegation.
Stan celebrates with the North Bank.

C0ydgn0XEAELpks.jpg

Last edited:
We should get that photo of Stan framed and sent to him.

That was a great night and I'm guessing that photo was taken after his thunderbolt in the second half!

DSC_1301_1.jpgDSC_1299_1.jpg

OK folks, with a bit of time on my hands over the Xmas break, and in following up on an enquiry re a past game from a reader of my book which I did but then got a bit side-tracked (:smile:), I've had a rummage thro a few old progs and will put up in the next few posts a few pics from the past for you.

Apols in that they are not great quality - I've basically taken pics from old progs on my mobile under artificial light, but I hope they come across clear enough to spark a few good memories of the past.

To kick things off I've attached here a couple from a mid '70's SUFC handbook (what great things they were - and only 10p). One shows the members of the old travel club and another is a great one of our fans en route to Walsall.

Anyone see themselves in these pics, or have memories of the faces shown?

Three more oddities, from 71 to 73:

The first is from Feb 73 and is a great pic of Peter Taylor scoring v Bournemouth with a reasonably well populated South Bank in the background (when the total gate was 9,435)
DSC_1302.jpg
The second shows a happy Billy Best after scoring v Walsall in Nov 72 at the North Bank end, with Moore and Johnson arms aloft. You can just about make out that the West Stand is less populated at the South Bank end as of course, annoying kids running around in the free space and the infirm aside, folk moved in those days towards the end we were kicking
DSC_1303.jpg
I like the third one simply because it shows the old South Bank in the background. It was taken v Bury in Sept 71 (a 0-0 game) with 5,222 of us present
DSC_1304.jpg

Next, first is an add in the final prog of 70/71 for season tickets in 71/72 .... what good value they proved to be with our promotion that season!
DSC_1305.jpg
The second one here shows Bill Garner smacking in his hatrick goal v Millwall in a friendly at the start of the 71/72 season. A good action pic, but again, oooohh that South Bank!
DSC_1306.jpg
Third is a pic of a more populated South Bank from the end of the 71/72 season - anyone here spot yourself in it?!
DSC_1312.jpg
Finally in this collection is a pic at the end of the 71/72 season of the team celebrating promotion. I think Billy must be letting one rip
DSC_1313.jpg

Finally I attach a few pics from our 75/76 FA Cup run including a prog note after the Derby game lamenting our bad luck at the Baseball Ground. That will do for now! (if anyone can edit the pics so they are the right way up that would be good!)
DSC_1309.jpgDSC_1310.jpgDSC_1311.jpgDSC_1307.jpgDSC_1308.jpg

Finally I attach a few pics from our 75/76 FA Cup run including a prog note after the Derby game lamenting our bad luck at the Baseball Ground. That will do for now! (if anyone can edit the pics so they are the right way up that would be good!)
View attachment 4441View attachment 4442View attachment 4443View attachment 4444View attachment 4445

Oh the memories - we was definitely robbed! Of course, the programme those notes were written for - that match we won 4-0 with Silvester scoring all 4 goals!

Back