• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Big Match. 19 November 1977.
The first match has England youth international Paul Clark's debut for Brighton, having just signed from Southend. It also has Peter Taylor having a great game for Spurs.
Then the Big Match. About 29 minutes in, Southend v Watford. 4th Division title race, with Watford top, and Southend in 3rd position. Can Southend close the gap?

The first match has England youth international Paul Clark's debut for Brighton, having just signed from Southend. It also has Peter Taylor having a great game for Spurs.
Then the Big Match. About 29 minutes in, Southend v Watford. 4th Division title race, with Watford top, and Southend in 3rd position. Can Southend close the gap?

Those were the days when players just got up and got on with it after crunching tackles. Keith Mercer and Dennis Booth playing for Watford.

I had one they were West Bromwich Albion shirts , some one who played for Leigh Town was able to get me one through the club . I have a picture taken about 1970-71 of Leigh Comm football team all wearing the stripe shirts of Southend United , the reason being was that none of us had the same shirts or shorts ,our manager at the time knew someone down the club and was able to get them . I shall try and get the picture put on here this week .
Believe Grumpy Blue is the proud possessor of one (certainly used to be) . :Smile:

Last edited:

Also Gerry Fells first game for Southend after signing from Brighton in the deal that took Paul Clark to Brighton .

Great stuff 70s, v Watford..In your Watford slums,
Southend aggro..songs long gone..was at that game as many fans our age were. Saturday!..didnt see any Watford fans,unlike when we played there.
South bank looking as great as ever and the North Bank "Paked" but not over "enthusiastic"..but it was only V Watford.
But again,what an enjoyable team to watch

Southend United​

Line-up​

1. Neil Freeman
2. Alan Moody
3. Andy Ford
4. Paul Clark
5. Tony Hadley
6. David Young
7. Terry Nicholl
8. Steve Goodwin
9. Ron Pountney
10. Stuart Parker
11. Dave Cunningham
Sub(s):
12. Paul Denney - replaced Paul Clark

Coaching staff​

Dave Smith - Manager.

Result: 0-0

southend-united-(a)-8th-oct-1976(1).jpg

Remember standing on that corner when we beat Birmingham 3-1......Barry Fry's return.

Properly, one of the best games I have attended at Roots Hall.

If I remember right, someone had a big bed sheet / flag with the words JUDAS tied to one of the rails in that North west corner.

I remember at kickoff, the que outside the north east corner ticket office, going right over to the flats and then up the hill to the club shop.

Everyone who was SUFC wanted to be at that game.

And it did not disappoint either.

Rocking atmosphere.

There’s a circus in the town.

Back