• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question OK...where do you want it guv? New stadium locations - hopes and dreams

Whilst I appreciate this is a perfect-World 'all sites are equally obtainable' exercise, there are two critical considerations to bear in mind when trying to create a shortlist of candidates for a feasibility study.
Firstly, the availability and perceived value of that site to an owner/developer. Sites like Queensway are out of the question because they have such a high potential value to a developer for retail or residential. Leisure developments really require low value / problem sites which would otherwise be difficult to shift, and/or have been designated within the local plan for that use type.
Secondly, the designation of the land within the Local Development Framework (they may have renamed this document in recent years) - most plots of land seemingly sitting around doing nothing/serving no useful purpose currently, will have some target use identified, whether that be for industrial/resi/retail or leisure. That will instantly rule out some sites, particularly if it is high on the residential list, as housing targets trump everything in local Government.

Realistically, there are few sites other than FF available, and I think even the most ardent fan of FF (if there exist any) will admit that this was never a good location.

Ergo, my view has always been that we should try and redevelop Roots Hall - it has just taken being dragged through one man's fairy-tale wonderland for 25 years to realise that...

Whilst I appreciate this is a perfect-World 'all sites are equally obtainable' exercise, there are two critical considerations to bear in mind when trying to create a shortlist of candidates for a feasibility study.
Firstly, the availability and perceived value of that site to an owner/developer. Sites like Queensway are out of the question because they have such a high potential value to a developer for retail or residential. Leisure developments really require low value / problem sites which would otherwise be difficult to shift, and/or have been designated within the local plan for that use type.
Secondly, the designation of the land within the Local Development Framework (they may have renamed this document in recent years) - most plots of land seemingly sitting around doing nothing/serving no useful purpose currently, will have some target use identified, whether that be for industrial/resi/retail or leisure. That will instantly rule out some sites, particularly if it is high on the residential list, as housing targets trump everything in local Government.

Realistically, there are few sites other than FF available, and I think even the most ardent fan of FF (if there exist any) will admit that this was never a good location.

Ergo, my view has always been that we should try and redevelop Roots Hall - it has just taken being dragged through one man's fairy-tale wonderland for 25 years to realise that...
Can a re-developed Roots Hall provide a return on the sizeable investment new owners will be making?

Moving to a new site, and allowing RH to be developed for housing seems to work, if only we can find a new site.

I've not lived in SoS for 30+ years so don't know the area as well as some of you. What about Rochford, or perhaps Shoebury?

Any existing small stadiums that could be extended / redeveloped?

Any place is going to cause problems with the roads, so assuming they could be sorted Cherry Orchard, Leigh Marshes or the land behind Warners Bridge all fit size wise.

Anyone know the story of the large piece of farmland on the south side of the London Road that acts as a natural border between Leigh and Hadleigh. That would be ideal size wise.

Anyone know the story of the large piece of farmland on the south side of the London Road that acts as a natural border between Leigh and Hadleigh. That would be ideal size wise.
I cannot see the Salvation Army who own it all allowing it.. Great spot though. Trouble is they own most of Hadleigh.

Last edited:
I cannot see the Salvation Army who own it all allowing it.. Great spot though. Trouble is they own most of Hadleigh.

Hmmmmm interesting…..yeah I doubt the Salvation Army would be interested in a stadium on their farm 🥴

Back