• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most useless loan signings ever !!!

There was one bloke signed on loan from, I think West Brom or Wolves, who came on one snowy night, as a sub, in the mid 70's against Hereford, in a 3-1 defeat, who having played about 3 minutes promptly broke his leg and never played again, career over. The name escapes me.

Alan Glover - looks like his name was spelt with two LL's though and he played again after breaking his leg for Brentford and Orient:-

GLOVER Allan M 69-77 Queens Park Rangers Orient 92 9
On loan:1975/76 Southend United 1 0
On loan:1976/77 Brentford 6 0

I think the above means West Brom signed him from QPR & left to play for Orient after the two loan spells.

Can't see if he played much for Orient where is our resident Orient fan he might know?

He is probably in this Orient team photo:- http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cach...+allan+glover+orient&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

I bet he never thought Southend fans would be talking about him on internet message boards 32 years later!!

Last edited:
Oh come on Loz her was not bad.......

ok, 2 people have said this so i'm willing to stand corrected... he looked bloody awful when i saw him play, but i was in the south lower at that point which doubtless restricted my view (and also rated Trevor Fitzpatrick, so may not have been the best judge of a player)

who was the chap from preston- Brian Barry-Murphy? don't recall him doing much other than having a mildly amusing name. Martin Aldridge scored one nice goal and then did very little too.

ok, 2 people have said this so i'm willing to stand corrected... he looked bloody awful when i saw him play, but i was in the south lower at that point which doubtless restricted my view (and also rated Trevor Fitzpatrick, so may not have been the best judge of a player)

who was the chap from preston- Brian Barry-Murphy? don't recall him doing much other than having a mildly amusing name. Martin Aldridge scored one nice goal and then did very little too.

Not wanting to plss on your chips but whislt Brian Barry Murphy wasnt great he did score vs Orient which was we know makes you a demi-god.

Martin Aldridge I didnt see but is now dead so best not to slag him off on my part.....

mid 70's against Hereford, in a 3-1 defeat.

That Hereford game was played on Monday 26th Jan 1976 in front of only 3,722 fans just two days after the FA Cup 4th round home win against Cardiff in front of 12,863. That wasn't our highest crowd of the season we played Crystal Palace a month later in front of 13,500 although I bet a good 5,000 were Palace fans.

Was Roger N'Zambia on loan or trial.

I cant remeber exactly what happened but there was high hopes and did he not get injured after about 30seconds?

Did he even make it onto the field?

I kind of remember him if you get what I mean...or dont for that matter!?

:thump:

I cant remeber exactly what happened but there was high hopes and did he not get injured after about 30seconds?

Trialist. But N'Zamba legend should be able to give us the full run down. I believe he was from Guinea in Africa originally via France.

That Hereford game was played on Monday 26th Jan 1976 in front of only 3,722 fans just two days after the FA Cup 4th round home win against Cardiff in front of 12,863. That wasn't our highest crowd of the season we played Crystal Palace a month later in front of 13,500 although I bet a good 5,000 were Palace fans.

I remember the Place game and they did mob out the South Bank - I would think at least 5 if not 6,000. Peter Taylor played for Palace, and I think they one 1-0 with a goal from Alan Whittle?

Roger N'Zamba did make one sub appearance in Sept 97. According to the records if it was a home game it was either Brentford or Fulham.

Tony Currie

Never even made it onto the pitch.

Micky Welch

Tommy Black

Currie wasn't a loanee he had been released by his previous club - which I believe was Isthmian League Chesham.

Welch, I though we signed from Grays and then got rid of him back there - but it may have been a loan.

Tommy Black? He's permanent surely?

According to the records we have had 19 players only ever make 1 league or cup sub appearence, quite a few of these were loan players:- (actually most were youth players, did Ademeno only make 1 sub appearence?)

833 Alan GLOVER
834 Alan SHIRES
835 Ben SMITH
836 Brian MYTON
837 Charles Ademeno
838 Chris COYNE
839 Craig DAVIDSON
840 Daniel LUNAN
841 Darren BLEWITT
843 Gareth RISBRIDGER
844 Jamie SOUTHON
845 Leon HUNTER
846 Mark JONES
847 Paul VICKERY
848 Peter DURSON
849 Roger N`ZAMBA
850 Steve WIGGINS
851 Tony HENRIKSEN
852 Tony YOUNG

Last edited:
Currie wasn't a loanee he had been released by his previous club - which I believe was Isthmian League Chesham.

Welch, I though we signed from Grays and then got rid of him back there - but it may have been a loan.

To be honest I sort of assumed Currie was a loan, but thinking about it further, we were signing all manner of dross at that time, I even recall a story that Bill Garner was going to put his boots back on !

I did wonder why we would loan a striker from Grays, as opposed to signing him straight away..........

To be honest I sort of assumed Currie was a loan, but thinking about it further, we were signing all manner of dross at that time, I even recall a story that Bill Garner was going to put his boots back on !

I did wonder why we would loan a striker from Grays, as opposed to signing him straight away..........

God. I remember the Garner story. I am pretty sure that Peter Morris invited him back for training, aged about 37, and there was a real possibility he would have played with us.

I think the fall-out post Rubin's sale to Johnson/McCutcheon/Cranston left us with about 4 players, and Morris had to unearth a load of players witha bout a week to go before the start of the season. Such luminaries as Glen Skivington, the aforementioned Les Cartwright, Peter Ellis and the mighty Billy Kellock all rolled out to play in those early days. Currie breaking down in the warm up.

God. I remember the Garner story. I am pretty sure that Peter Morris invited him back for training, aged about 37, and there was a real possibility he would have played with us.

I think the fall-out post Rubin's sale to Johnson/McCutcheon/Cranston left us with about 4 players, and Morris had to unearth a load of players witha bout a week to go before the start of the season. Such luminaries as Glen Skivington, the aforementioned Les Cartwright, Peter Ellis and the mighty Billy Kellock all rolled out to play in those early days. Currie breaking down in the warm up.

Shocking times

Which resulted in relegation , but how poor were Exeter who finished 10 points behind us.

But we managed a 6-0 win !
Trevor Whymark, John Gymer amongst others

http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php?option=com_phpresults&Itemid=59&wseason=1983

Joe Allon

Not one of Barry Fry's best. I seem to remember him coming on at half time and then being substituted about 20 mins later - never to be seen again.

Mark Mac

Back