• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moaning fan of the year

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Dec. 20 2005,15:44)]Wiggy I'll take your latest drone of whinging drivel as a "well done for a great battling point at Huddersfield lads".
biggrin.gif
Absolutely, and why was my Roycie has lost it thread been pulled?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,15:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Dec. 20 2005,15:44)]Wiggy I'll take your latest drone of whinging drivel as a "well done for a great battling point at Huddersfield lads".
biggrin.gif
Absolutely, and why was my Roycie has lost it thread been pulled?
because you're a plum, he's an EX-Shrimper. Hence it was moved to the EX-Shrimper section!

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,15:48)]We have been lucky with injuries, but sooner or later they are gonna come along, as with the keeper it has not been prepared for!
And the club are meant to stump up the wages for a 3rd, but unused keeper presumeably?

The keeper situation is the same one that has existed at this club for all the years that i have supported them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,15:15)]I'm glad i give you lot something to talk about saddo's, fact is what i normally moan about invarabley turns out correct just that there is a delayed reaction with most of you poor judges and it takes you time to realise that Wiggy was right all along, Embers, Bart, Drewe, Petts, Jones to name just a few. If Tilly wasn't god you would all have lambasted him by now for getting 3 points out of the last 7 or 8 games and having the forsight to leave us with about 14 fit players and 1 goalie for the christmas period but then again he can do no wrong can he, poor planning i am afraid!
Seriously though wiggy, on the basis that it is impossible for any team to play well 100% of the time, and any player to play to the max in every game, whatever you moan about WILL be proved right eventually.

What most people object to, me included, is the fact that when for instance Bart has a cracking game (i.e. home to Grimsby last year) or when the team string a few wins together your voice is strangely absent from these boards. You aren't willing to credit the team or individuals at all but you are quite happy to rubbish, discredit and criticise at each and every opportunity.

As for the Parkinson/Tilly bet, I feel Parkinson will probably go onto bigger things because he is an ambitious young manager. However, Tilly has much more loyalty and will be given far more time and patience than any other manager at all. I think he will be a Blues manager for a long, long time, but I also feel that we will be at a league one level for a long, long time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 20 2005,16:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,15:15)]I'm glad i give you lot something to talk about saddo's, fact is what i normally moan about invarabley turns out correct just that there is a delayed reaction with most of you poor judges and it takes you time to realise that Wiggy was right all along, Embers, Bart, Drewe, Petts, Jones to name just a few. If Tilly wasn't god you would all have lambasted him by now for getting 3 points out of the last 7 or 8 games and having the forsight to leave us with about 14 fit players and 1 goalie for the christmas period but then again he can do no wrong can he, poor planning i am afraid!
Seriously though wiggy, on the basis that it is impossible for any team to play well 100% of the time, and any player to play to the max in every game, whatever you moan about WILL be proved right eventually.

What most people object to, me included, is the fact that when for instance Bart has a cracking game (i.e. home to Grimsby last year) or when the team string a few wins together your voice is strangely absent from these boards.  You aren't willing to credit the team or individuals at all but you are quite happy to rubbish, discredit and criticise at each and every opportunity.

As for the Parkinson/Tilly bet, I feel Parkinson will probably go onto bigger things because he is an ambitious young manager.  However, Tilly has much more loyalty and will be given far more time and patience than any other manager at all.  I think he will be a Blues manager for a long, long time, but I also feel that we will be at a league one level for a long, long time.
Absolutely agree 100% with this post.

The only thing you failed to mention was wiggy's blind faith in Flahavan who, while he is the best keeper we have at the club, has 2 or 3 serious flaws in his game which cost us from time to time and will prevent him IMHO from playing higher. The objective supporters among us can see those flaws - those who are head-over-heels in love with Flahavan cannot
upside.gif

Port Vale away.

Anyway notice I said "from time to time" I didn't say every week. This isn't the issue anyway wiggy, I was talking about the FLAWS IN HIS GAME which are obvious to the more objective of us in most (not all) of Flavs performances. I think he's an OK keeper for L1, certainly not the best but not the worst either, but could he play higher? Hmmm, I'm not convinced he'd be much use to us in the Championship.

Did you see Roycie last night, if he can play higher then so can Flavs, poor kicking, rooted to his line and gave away a penalty and this is not a one off. Port Vale, wasn't Eagle completley outjumped!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,18:11)]Did you see Roycie last night, if he can play higher then so can Flavs, poor kicking, rooted to his line and gave away a penalty and this is not a one off. Port Vale, wasn't Eagle completley outjumped!
I've watched QPR 2 or 3 times already this season on Sky and to compare Royce to Flahavan is a complete mis-match, there is no comparison. Royce is held in very high regard by Rangers fans and rightly so. He won't ever have another season like 95/96 in which he produced some of the finest displays I've ever seen from ANYONE, in particular at West Ham, Palace and Derby (home and away) but he is still miles better than any keeper we've had since his departure - and that includes Flahavan.

And yes Eagle defended very poorly for the Vale 1st goal but Flavs has to take his share of the blame for that IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Dec. 20 2005,18:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 20 2005,15:15)]it takes you time to realise that Wiggy was right all along,
Isn't talking about oneself in the third person a sign of insanity?
Or Royalty. Hang on though..... Sorry, you're right!

cool.gif

Do I presume , Wiggy , that you dislike of Tilly extends to his loyalty to the club as well. What was your feelings on the way he was treated as a player ?

As for the current goalkeeping situation , as canveyshrimper said, two keepers has always been the way this club has operated, Some years back, we even pulled a keeper from the Borough comb (Was it Jon O Brian ?) due to an injury crisis. Imagine how Tilly would be blasted over that.

BTW there is a funny Col U bit to that story, The keeper played for Leigh Ramblers and had attracted some attention, us and Col U amongst others , Well Col U were not aware that Southend had nabbed him so duly trotted off to watch Leigh Rams 1st, who that day had their 3rd team keeper playing , He had a stormer and ended up in Col U reserves for 6 weeks as cover !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Dec. 21 2005,08:39)]Do I presume , Wiggy , that you dislike of Tilly extends to his loyalty to the club as well. What was your feelings on the way he was treated as a player ?

As for the current goalkeeping situation , as canveyshrimper said, two keepers has always been the way this club has operated, Some years back, we even pulled a keeper from the Borough comb (Was it Jon O Brian ?) due to an injury crisis. Imagine how Tilly would be blasted over that.

BTW there is a funny Col U bit to that story, The keeper played for Leigh Ramblers and had attracted some attention, us and Col U amongst others , Well Col U were not aware that Southend had nabbed him so duly trotted off to watch Leigh Rams 1st, who that day had their 3rd team keeper playing , He had a stormer and ended up in Col U reserves for 6 weeks as cover !
The plucking of a keeper from the Borough Comb, has actually happened twice.

One was Jon O'Brian, but a year or two before that Barry Delf.

Barry Delf was the Leigh Ramblers keeper that Firestorm mentioned in his post who should have got the call to Col U. He played semi-pro for Grays for a number of years after his one game at Blues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Dec. 21 2005,08:39)]Do I presume , Wiggy , that you dislike of Tilly extends to his loyalty to the club as well. What was your feelings on the way he was treated as a player ?

I think it was Barrie (correct spelling) Delf who played one game vs. Bristol Rovers (I think) and saved a penalty. He stayed with us on non-contract forms for about 4 or 5 years as potential cover, if necessary.

Jon O'Brien, did play in the Borough Combination (in the same team as my brother), but was at either Maldon or Witham Town when he joined us as cover, and eventually played quite a few games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 21 2005,09:17)]I thought Barry Delf played for Trinity.
He probably did, because at the time of Barrie Delf, my PE teacher was the goalkeeper for Leigh Ramblers in the Borough Comb. Premier Division.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Dec. 21 2005,09:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 21 2005,09:17)]I thought Barry Delf played for Trinity.
He probably did, because at the time of Barrie Delf, my PE teacher was the goalkeeper for Leigh Ramblers in the Borough Comb. Premier Division.
Barrie Delf did play for Trinity in the Southend Sunday League.

Jon O'Brian also play for Access (he worked there) in the Southend Sunday League.

We may have a limited squad at the moment, but Tilly isn't going to sign anyone just to make up the numbers. What use would a crap player be just because he is cover for a position? Tilly takes his time to sign players, and when he does, it is generally an excellent deal.

[b said:
Ha ha ha ha ha... sorry.. HO HO HO!!!

Wiggy, Wigster, Wigmerelda, Wigmeister my good old chum...

Here I think is the nub of the matter:

Criticise every member of the squad (except St. Flavian) and of course you will be proved right when the odd player doesn't come up to scratch. A hearty congratulations on spotting that Embers, Bart, Drewe, etc weren't the best players at the club - you truly ARE a genius. As usual, we can only bow to your sport-watching prowess as NONE of us could see that.

Now, on to our delayed reaction and your "invarably" correct predictions...

You tried to convince us last year that Guttridge was crap.
Since you're "invarably" right, I'm curious as to what you think now. I suppose he IS injury prone - after all, he's been injured - so perhaps that's where you've been coming from.

You told us that the future was Constantine and that our failure to sign the player on silly money was evidence of the evil Ron Martin's attempts to see the club relegated. I've asked you before but were you right when we replaced him with Eastwood? I'm sure you were.. but I just can't see it (bit dumb you see).

When the club didn't put itself further at risk by putting larger fees aside to keep hold of Leon Cort, again we couldn't see through Ron Martin's evil manoeuvres like you could - (especially when we nabbed the Bristol captain Barrett to fill the hole). Now I've always thought that Adam's been good for us but respect that you're "invarably" right. I'm sure Barrett WAS part of the evil Martin's scheming plots but still need you to show me why. Give us time, we'll catch up.

On another related point - given that we're now simply not allowed to spend more than a certain percentage of our income on players and contracts, can you tell me how we could have signed this extra goalkeeper that you now tell us we needed (with more than a little hindsight), while at the same time increasing the wages of the likes of Constantine and Cort AND adding to the overall size of the squad. Forgive me for not having your clarity of thought, but I can't see how we could do this. Again, I recognise your "invarable" correctness, so please let me know how I'm missing the point. I really am keen to know.

We're in sixth place in League One.
Did you see that happening?

A few questions

One of the criticisms levelled at you, dearest Wiggo, is that you fire off your opinions but fail to recognise the opinions of others, that you spout off your thoughts as fact yet fail to enter into constructive debate when people offer up contrary thoughts. I find it frustrating personally, but you tell me it's a sign of your "inteligence" so I'll have to take that on board.

A few questions then so you can prove us wrong:

1/ Constantine or Eastwood?
2/ Barrett on £3k per week or Cort on £10k per week
3/ How do we pay higher wages, sign more outfield players and get a new goalkeeper in whilst staying within the FA regulations?
4/ Is Ron Martin still trying to relegate us to make it easier to close us down?
5/ Are there ANY faults in Darryl's game?
6/ Is Guttridge still crap?
7/ Do you still think that we'll fail to get promoted from League 2 if we let players like Constantine and Cort leave?

And my personal favourite:

8/ Do you still think that you're "invarably" right?

I await your responses to these questions.
Please show me the error of my ways.

Back