• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Gower is the featured player in the "Dream Team" column of this week's Football League Paper, where he chooses his favourite XI made up from players he has played with or against in his football career. Of the eleven players he has picked, no fewer than seven of them are ex-Shrimpers. Here is his Dream Team, with his comments:

GOALKEEPER: Dorus de Vries (Nottingham Forest)

RIGHT BACK: Simon Francis (Bournemouth)
I played with him at Southend and I thought he had bags of potential then, and now at Bournemouth they've just made him captain and he's getting better every season. A very good attacking player who can overlap and very rarely gets beaten in a one-on-one.

LEFT BACK: Rhoys Wiggins (Charlton)

CENTRE BACK: Leon Cort (Charlton)
In a side you need height and he pretty much wins every header. He's had a good career, I've played with him at Southend and now we're together again at Charlton. He's just dependable, reliable, he doesn't let you down with a header and he's good in the attacking box as well.

CENTRE BACK: Adam Barrett (Gillingham)
I was with him at Southend for a few years and he's just one of those guys that committed everything every week. He would never let anybody down and he was a good lad to have in the dressing room.

RIGHT MIDFIELD: Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Notts County)
He's a tricky winger who loves a step-over and he commits defenders, which is quite rare in this day and age. He can win a game for you on his own.

LEFT MIDFIELD: Johnnie Jackson (Charlton)

CENTRAL MIDFIELD: Mark Gower (Charlton)
I'm an all-round good player! I can defend, I can attack, I can create chances and I'm not bad at set-pieces! I used to get the odd goal, I don't so much any more, but you can't have everything.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD: Kevin Maher (Unattached)
I played with him for five years at Southend and he is a good lad. He's another one that would give anything when he's on the pitch. He sat behind the strikers dictating the play, but would pop up with the odd goal every once in a while.

STRIKER: Yann Kermorgant (Charlton)

STRIKER: Freddy Eastwood (Southend)
He had a period of a few years at Southend in League One and in the Championship where he was untouchable. He was playing with such confidence, every time he got the ball you just felt like something was going to happen and he was superb.

What a top lad, not a bad side in their prime.. i cant imagine many oppo strikers would win headers against Court & Barrett.

Mark Gower was a great player for us and has had a good career.It was a interesting article to read.Some great shrimper links on there.

Legend. You'd think there'd be more Swansea players in it though. :unsure:

Wouldn't it great to get that 05/06 team back together for a reunion at some point. Maybe in 2015/2016 for a 10-year anniversary. I saw it mentioned on Twitter last weekend.

Last edited:
Top, top man. If it hadn't have been for stalling on SUFC's part then Johnnie Jackson would've played for us also under Tilson.

Great to see so many Southend players there but surprised none of his old Swansea team got into his dream team, a bit odd as that was the pinacle of his career

Edit, just realised that a couple of others have already made this point

Also his dream team doesnt have a manager, would have been interesting who he rated the best manager he played under and reasons why.

It's for the football league paper, so probably no premier league team players allowed? Even though Swansea were in the football league not that long ago...

Back